One to Drool Over: A Custom Breeding .270

The Gun Nuts

October 11, 2012

One to Drool Over: A Custom Breeding .270

By David E. Petzal

Some time ago, I wrote about Ryan Breeding, a uniquely talented custom gun maker whose specialty is huge, horrifying rifles to be used on huge, horrifying animals. If you’re looking for a .505 Gibbs done right, Mr. Breeding is the guy to see.

However, he can build them small and light as well. This rifle was made for a woman hunter whose husband wanted to get her something special and, as she stands just a little over 5 feet tall and weighs 114 pounds, a hand cannon was not in order.

Here are the specs: The action is a Granite Mountain reproduction of the wonderful and long-gone G33/40 Mauser, with double square bridges. The blind magazine and all the hardware, including the trigger, and scope bases, are custom made by Breeding. The stock is a piece of Turkish walnut that probably grades out at Strike Me Blind, and because highly figured wood tends to be heavy, the lines of the stock are quite slim. The recoil pad is leather covered.

The .270 barrel is 21 inches long, and made by Pac-Nor. Length of pull is 13 inches even, and the weight, with a mercury recoil reducer in the stock and a Leica scope in Talley rings, is about 7 ½ pounds.

This rifle sold for $23,000. If you’d like to order something a bit less sumptuous, a similar .270 without the custom-made hardware and good, but not eye-searing walnut, is around $17,500, and the waiting time is between 2 ½ and 3 years.

I don’t think I need to add anything more. Drink it in.

Photos by Hill Photography

from ejpaul1 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Im sure there will be comments about how a 400 dollar rifle can shoot just as accurate and blah blah blah. But, if I could afford this, I would. I am a bolt rifle protitute!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

That is a beautiful piece of art come to life in a rifle. The only thing I would change in the chambering...

from duckcreekdick wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Beautiful rifle but the "huge and horrifying" size of that scope detracts from the total package. A nice straight 6X Leupold would be more fitting.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Even if those rifles were $400 I wouldn't have one. I'd just mess it up the way I hunt and that would be worse than a shame. It would be a slap in the face to the artist who built it.

When I was in the Army overseas the PX was trying to liquidate its stock of shotguns (Korean govt closed the pheasant season for five years). As an MP I could have bought all the Browning O/U I wanted for less than $200 apiece! I bought the A-5 Light Twelve instead for about $150. Dad gave me the raspberries when I came home for Thanksgiving, wondering why I didn't pick up several of those fancy guns. I simply told him I'd ruin them the way I hunted ... and I also was no fan of military black marketing anyway.

from rob wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Leica is back in the scope business? Do tell.......

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

It's a beautiful piece of work. Thanks, DP.

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Bolt rifle prostitute... that's classic ejpaul1.

Beautiful rifle and a great caliber, but a 21" barrel? I know it's to scrimp weight and up handling but I bet it's a flame-thrower.

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Even though I admire each aspect of this rifle I also was immediately struck with the thought that there are much better scope choices for this particular gun. I also wondered why the scope is so high above the barrel. Maybe the bolt handle would not clear the huge ocular lens housing if the scope was lower. Regardless this is a wonderful rifle in every regard obviously utilizing the finest components available. I really admire Pac-Nor barrels. If I had this rifle I could make a few changes and be happy with it for most any hunting trip. I hope the fellow's wife enjoys this gun and uses the hell out of it. She must be either a new shooter or recoil shy given the precautions taken to protect her.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Anyone notice the upper sling port mounted on the barrel instead of the stock? What's up with that? Personally, I would not want the rosewood tip of that stock buried in the top of my shoulder when the gun is slung. Any thoughts?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

OHH,
If you can afford to own that rifle, you can hire someone to carry it for you! LOL

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Oh my, what a rifle!!!! Mr Breeding is truly the Picasso of gun making. Now if only I can dig up enough loot to buy one. May go rob a bank or two(not really) And it comes in one of my all time favorite calibers.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Ontario,
My guess the reason for the barrel mounted swivel is the rifle is planned for African use by the lady. The commonly used shooting sticks can pinch the hand resting against the swivel holding the forearm of the rifle.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

If the rifle needs to be carried by a Sling, someone else will be carrying it. The cost of this rifle indicates they will not be traveling the African bush on a shoe string

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Ontario,
Recoil causes the pinching,sorry

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Happy, maybe I could "showboat" a little and put barrel band swivels on my medium bores! LOL

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Interesting. One would think the sling would be detached long before the shooting sticks were taken out. Do they sell velvet padded shooting sticks? Perhaps Mr. Breeding makes some as asseccories. Would be interesting to see what kind of wood he'd use. So what we're saying is the barrel band sling mount is a cosmetic issue? Makes sense I guess for a gun that's eye candy end to end.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

WAM,
If you are as short as I am, the rifle butt drags in the bushes when using a barrel swivel. Actually, I find slings a nuisance most of the time in Africa. The barrel rattles and catches in the brush,and often tangles in the shooting sticks. African hunting is different than North American elk and sheep hunting where a sling is needed. A humorous sling story occurred in the jungles of the C.A.R. Normally, I adamantly refuse a gun bearer for all kinds of reasons. In this instance it was required by management, probably a Pygmy Union obligation. Anyway, a large animal nearby crashed off into the dense foliage, I reached back for my rifle and to my dismay saw it disappearing into a tree firmly attached by the sling to my bearers back. Leaping into the air, I dragged him from the tree, whereupon he bounced back up into the branches. The second time I held him down long enough to disentangled him from my rifle, by then the animal was long gone, what ever it was. I took the sling off ,and the next day I carried my "go to rifle", and gave him my spare to lug through the jungle, fulfilling his job obligation.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Sorry, the barrel does not get tangled in the shooting sticks, rather the sling does.

from Bernie wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

I agree with a couple posts: No barrel-mounted swivel stud, and a 4X or 6X scope would have fit the rifle's profile a lot better. Other than that, it is drop-dead gorgeous. If I had Petzal's money, I'd own two dozen rifles like it!

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Given the puny return on a certificate of deposit these days, the thought struck that if the rifle would appreciate about 2% per year, a person would be better off with the rifle than the CD. Does that sound feasible to you, Dave, and if so, as Pat McManus would say, that leaves only the minor task of convincing the other half of this investment opportunity.

from O Garcia wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

oh come on. Twenty three grand?

I have to ask, I can't afford it.

from dick mcplenty wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

That kind of coin and all they could come up with is a POS pac nor barrel.

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

wow...

from fishead wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

it sucks to be broke

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

I have no comment on the article (It is a pretty nice gun though...I just wanted to get in touch I figured this might do the trick.

I first of all want to say what a big fan I am of your work, I read the magazine faithfully and I am a frequent visitor to the website, you certainly know your stuff. I admire your frankness and reluctance to change in these days of "political correctness".

The reason I am compelled to write you has to do with gun cleaning; I have a model 94 Winchester which my dad gave me several years ago and last year I bought a Savage model 111 in .270. I don't shoot them much (unfortunately) aside from sighting them in at the range although I clean then afterward I am always left wondering if I have done a satisfactory job.

I have had some folks show my how to clean them in the past but then tend to cut corners; I value my firearms too much to neglect them and want to ensure I keep them in fine working order.

So I have a big favor to ask, seeing as by now you could probably clean a gun in your sleep, could you please give me a step by step guide on how I should clean the bore, action. bolt on the .270 and if cleaning the model 94 requires any different methods as it is obviously a lever action.

I would be very grateful for your help.

Warm Regards,

A big fan from the Great White North!

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Also, if any of the more experienced folks who normally post comments have advice on gun cleaning...I am open to suggestions.

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

What I could do with 23K in Arkansas would make you excrete a brick. Cheers.

from Jim in Mo wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

She must be some woman.

from crm3006 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Wrong handed and a .270. What a waste of good wood and steel.

from Robert Dawson wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

$23K !!! I'm glad I have coughed up $1200 for a Ruger 77 Express rifle in 270 Winchester. Now I know I got a great deal!

from Carney wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Well. Am I the only one who wonders, "Can it shoot?" One would expect that it goes without saying, but Dave I'd like to see some target evidence that 23K can buy some serious accuracy!

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Its a sexy piece but if I had it built i would want at least a 22 inch barrel. whats the difference between 21 and 22 ? maybe 100 fps and less muzzle flash? I would leave the short barreled rifle to riles chambered in a 308 parent case or something of the like.

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Wrong scope?
Longer barrel?
Wrong BRAND of barrel?
Barrel mounted sling swivel ungainly?
Wrong caliber?
Too light.... too short.... scope too high.... too expensive!
What the....?
It's a "CUSTOM" rifle! That means you tell Mr. Breeding "exactly" what you want, not what some marketing whiz decides will sell.
I bet some of you would belly ache if you were being hung with a new rope!

BTW! Gorgeous piece with some unique features!
The "sad" part? On a used gun rack, it'll probably bring $1k, more or less.

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

To Tootall75: Thank you for the kind words. First of all, there is no single correct way to clean a rifle. The best advice I can give is, for cleaning the bore, to buy a pint bottle of Shooter's Choice Powder Solvent and follow the directions on the label. For the bolt action, wipe the powder fouling off the bolt and clean off the bolt face with a Q-Tip. For the lever gun, get in the action with a Q-Tip and scoop out as much ugh as you can. The only special advice is, lever actions have to be cleaned from the muzzle, and you have to be very careful that the cleaning rod does not rub against the rifling at the front end of the barrel.

from hansaskatoon wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

On rare occassion these days, you just need to stop everything an behold

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

David,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me and thank you for the advice, I will put your suggestions to work.

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Also David, looking back, it was a bit much to ask for a step by step tutorial...young guys eh? Expect everything on a silver platter.

from MReeder wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

The nice thing about custom rifles is that they're made to order to fit individual tastes. There are a few things I'd have done differently, too, but what stands out about that rifle is the wood. That is some of the most beautiful figure I have ever seen, and that includes some rifles with prices tags higher than this one. While I'm sure other more practical considerations were at play (and some of them, including the choice of a Monte Carlo, may be because it's a woman's gun), one reason for mounting the front sling base on the barrel of a non-magnum rifle may have been to avoid any chance of the swivel ever marring that stock. Reminds me of some of the unbelievable stock blanks you used to be able to order from Herters back in the day for what would amount to a tank of gas now. If I'd had either money or second-sight back then I would have filled every closet I had with those blanks.

from BackRoad600 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Sure, it's a gorgeous rifle, but what's the point? I would be scared to hunt with something that expensive. It would be like driving a $100,000 car around, sure they're fun to look at, but what's the point other than displaying the fact that you have a lot of money to spare?

from MReeder wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

"What's the point?"

I think Keats said that best.

"A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever."

from O Garcia wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

all due respect, you can still have a rifle made pretty much to all your specs for far less money. I understand a $23k Breeding in .505 Gibbs, the round requires a special action, and it requires tuning to make sure it feeds, fires and extracts every time, that it doesn't spill your spare rounds when it recoils, that it doesn't cough up your reload on the grass when you rack the bolt with extra adrenaline pumping, especially if you have to save someone's life with it.

A .270 at that price? I suppose this is where we say we're not on the same page.

from missedit wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

WHO IN THE #&!! can afford that & at that price I would be afraid to put a scratch on it.
I could could a get a new car!!! at that coast.
SURE it's a beautiful rifle, but I want to hunt with something I don't have to worry about
scratching.
YOU don't take a new car to a demolition derby.

from shane wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I'm impressed that this rifle manages to weigh only 7.5 pounds scoped up with a recoil reducer in it. I figured it had to weigh close to that minus the scope and the mercury.

Disregarding any practical purposes, I just can't get over the looks of a barrel band on a skinny barrel with no sights.

from shane wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I'm also in agreement those criticizing the chunky scope mounted high. That thing needs a VX-3 2.5-8X36 or even slimmer model in lower rings.

I admit to having a 3-9x40 on a light, trim rifle, but it's mounted low enough that you can't fit more than a penny or two between bell and barrel. It's also slimmer than the one pictured in every way.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

bolts on the wrong side of that gun, but other then that its a gorgeous piece.

from papaschango wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

This is not so much a comment but a question for Phil Bourjaily.I really enjoy gun nuts weekly show. I have watched probably every hunting ,fishing or gun show on tv for many years and I think without question gun nuts
is the best. No exageration. My question is how or where
do I present a question to you for your win a cap for a
question segment.If by chance this is actually where I would do so , here it is.I have heard the terms AR 10
and AR 15 so many times in the past few years I think my
ears are about to bleed. I have asked everyone I know
including ex military and not a single person can give
me a specific answer!Please let me know.

Thanks

She must be some woman.

from Carney wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from O Garcia wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from duckcreekdick wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from rob wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Leica is back in the scope business? Do tell.......

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

It's a beautiful piece of work. Thanks, DP.

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Bolt rifle prostitute... that's classic ejpaul1.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from O Garcia wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

oh come on. Twenty three grand?

I have to ask, I can't afford it.

from dick mcplenty wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

That kind of coin and all they could come up with is a POS pac nor barrel.

from fishead wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

it sucks to be broke

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

I would be very grateful for your help.

Warm Regards,

A big fan from the Great White North!

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

What I could do with 23K in Arkansas would make you excrete a brick. Cheers.

from crm3006 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Wrong handed and a .270. What a waste of good wood and steel.

from Robert Dawson wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Wrong scope?
Longer barrel?
Wrong BRAND of barrel?
Barrel mounted sling swivel ungainly?
Wrong caliber?
Too light.... too short.... scope too high.... too expensive!
What the....?
I bet some of you would belly ache if you were being hung with a new rope!

BTW! Gorgeous piece with some unique features!
The "sad" part? On a used gun rack, it'll probably bring $1k, more or less.

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from hansaskatoon wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

On rare occassion these days, you just need to stop everything an behold

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

David,

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from MReeder wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from BackRoad600 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from MReeder wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

"What's the point?"

I think Keats said that best.

"A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever."

from missedit wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I could could a get a new car!!! at that coast.
scratching.
YOU don't take a new car to a demolition derby.

from shane wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from shane wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from scratchgolf72 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

bolts on the wrong side of that gun, but other then that its a gorgeous piece.

from papaschango wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

is the best. No exageration. My question is how or where
do I present a question to you for your win a cap for a
and AR 15 so many times in the past few years I think my
ears are about to bleed. I have asked everyone I know
including ex military and not a single person can give
me a specific answer!Please let me know.

Thanks