The Brightest Flashlight Ever: Beam Sets Paper on Fire

The Gun Nuts

December 10, 2012

The Brightest Flashlight Ever: Beam Sets Paper on Fire

By Phil Bourjaily

A while ago I received a press release from some flashlight manufacturer billing their 1,000 lumen flashlight as “the world’s brightest.” Now, my own brightest flashlight is a mere 100 lumen Surefire which already seems incredibly, unnecessarily bright to me, so I had a hard time imagining a 1,000 lumen light. My skepticism kicked in anyway “This is America,” I thought. “No way is a 1,000 lumen flashlight the most powerful we can buy.”

A quick Google search turned up the 4,100 lumen “Torch”  which, as you can see in this video, lives up to its name. It comes with a rechargeable battery and has a runtime of—get this—5 to 10 minutes per battery. But it’s just the thing if you want to make s’mores on the run or set a charging grizzly on fire.

from Jpscooter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

well that's one way to LIGHT a fire

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I would hate to have that thing in my back pocket and somehow it was turned on YEOUCH ! Maybe they can put in a few nuclear power cells and we would have a laser or (PHAZER) I all ready have a very good light that puts out 120 lumens and that is plenty bright enough for me. It may come in handy for police work (1000 lumens)

from dale freeman wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Uncle Dave;
What was the price, on each ?

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I wonder if it has anti-aircraft applications. We wouldn't want that falling into the wrong hands.

from dale freeman wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Cousin Phil;
My bad
sorry about that, I was looking at some notes and make a tragic mistake.
Will you ever forgive me ?

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Probably nice to have if caught in an avalanche, yea?

from Scott Alexander wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Wow. $200 gets you the flashlight and $50 gets you a battery.

No thanks.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

If you pointed that at someone's eyes, you might do some permanent damage to their retinas.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Super pheaton death rays... AWESOME!

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

In the next 20 years this is how we will be Killvesting deer and turning them into Jerky in one fell swoop!

from crm3006 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Might be handy if you have ambitions to be an arsonist.

from tom warner wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

As someone who feels that as he though spent most of his life searching for a flashlight that was worth a damn, and not having much luck, I dearly love my Surefire's. All the new LED's, etc., etc.are purely wonderful as compared to the junk that we spent most of our lives fooling with. It's the difference between a BMW and horseback. However, that little beauty seems just a bit over the top! What the devil would one use it for?

from kudukid wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

'Bout time someone shed some light on this subject.

The game is now - paper, scissors, rock, flashlight.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Hey Phil, Thanks for the cleaning kit from cabella's . I wrapped it up and will give it to my young nephew for Christmas. BTW maybe you can use this in F&S or on the tv show. Explain the proper way to install a plug in a shotgun, you would not believe how many people come into my little shop with asking that question. I've seem some pretty inventive ways of doing that simple job(most of them are illeagle)

from capt.seagull wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

cool try a mag-light they are good for tracking

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

About as useful as a crepe paper jock strap. Well, for most of us. Perhaps a special ops team might find one of these handy for signaling helicopters or submarines. Or a military surgeon might use one for field work ... depending on how fast he can operate. When I was younger I was well known for operating fast ... but usually at the drive-in movies. Managed just fine without a flashlight.

from cb bob wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I couldn't imagine a use for such a thing. especially since the battery only lasts 5 to 10 minutes. I'll stick with my Mag light, and if I feel the need to set paper on fire, I'll use a match!

from ftothfadd wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I guess setting paper alight has nothing to do with light, it needs heat... So I am not sure how efficient this light is, obviously the vast majority of the E it uses goes to generate heat and not lumens. Guess this explains the battery life too...

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

The handle gets to hot to hold after only a few seconds.

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Hi...

I think that Ralph had the only really good use for it...as for me...I think I've got enough 'toys' for now...!! (You won't believe this, Doc...but I got the burn from my flashlight...!!).

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

It would make really instant coffee in the field.

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

When we used to take my dad camping with us, he would always end up blinding someone at the campfire with his flashlight, thank God he did not have this one!

from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

"Luke, I am your father" If they have these, I wonder how close they are to having Lightsabers!

from Mike Jones wrote 20 weeks 5 days ago

www.knifeup.com/best-survival-flashlight/ has a really good flashlight review.

from Mike Jones wrote 20 weeks 5 days ago

www.knifeup.com/best-survival-flashlight/ has a good review of flashlights. None burn however.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Hi...

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

It would make really instant coffee in the field.

from Jpscooter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

well that's one way to LIGHT a fire

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from dale freeman wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Uncle Dave;
What was the price, on each ?

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from dale freeman wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Cousin Phil;
My bad
sorry about that, I was looking at some notes and make a tragic mistake.
Will you ever forgive me ?

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Probably nice to have if caught in an avalanche, yea?

from Scott Alexander wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Wow. $200 gets you the flashlight and $50 gets you a battery.

No thanks.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Super pheaton death rays... AWESOME!

from crm3006 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Might be handy if you have ambitions to be an arsonist.

from tom warner wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from kudukid wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

'Bout time someone shed some light on this subject.

The game is now - paper, scissors, rock, flashlight.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from capt.seagull wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

cool try a mag-light they are good for tracking

from cb bob wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from ftothfadd wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

The handle gets to hot to hold after only a few seconds.

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from Mike Jones wrote 20 weeks 5 days ago

www.knifeup.com/best-survival-flashlight/ has a really good flashlight review.

from Mike Jones wrote 20 weeks 5 days ago