New F&S Column Announced: "Ask Petzal"

The Gun Nuts

December 27, 2012

New F&S Column Announced: "Ask Petzal"

By David E. Petzal

Well, the End of Days has fizzled, and if you listen carefully, you can hear Mayan ghosts saying, “A**holes, it’s a circular calendar.” In any event, there’s always hope that life as we know it will end sometime soon. Just have a good view of the proceedings, and rest assured that whatever takes over from us will do a better job than we have.

But that’s not important now. What is important is that the editors of Field & Stream have given me a new column called “Ask Petzal.” (What would you call it? “Ask Biden?”) It will consist of questions from readers and answers from me, and while it will mostly be about guns, it will range to other subjects, such as “Why are you such a curmudgeon?”

In it, I hope to show the same warmth, compassion, and empathy that I use so copiously here in cyberspace, and I will expect the same wit, literacy, and sophisticated repartee that I have received from you here. I've done the first column, and it's been more exciting than watching Bodacious rearrange a bull rider's face.

To prime the pump I’m soliciting questions for the new column from you. Write them in the comment sections below and we’ll pick out the worthiest and run them.

See you in print.

from Mjenkins1 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Is the .22 Hornet out-of-date as far as varmint/predator hunting goes, when compared to current popular predator cartridges such the .22-250, .220 Swift or .223?

from New Age Bubba wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Dave check out this recent pro hunting (I think)in the New York Times: Exercise and the Ever-Smarter Human Brain

Hey, if you can have a comment in Gun and Garden, I can read the NYT. ;)

from TM wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Dave,

What are the alterations or repairs that even the most ambitious, arrogant, foolish, and miserly of gun nuts should pay to have a pro do?

In the same vein, what are the gun jobs that even the most inept, scared, and mechanically challenged can and should learn to do themselves?

from TM wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Also, for the February issue:

How can one get his significant other to embrace (or at least tolerate) his gun nuttiness in the era of gun control?

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Dave, congrats on the new assignment. You'll do great. Now for your first question:

How many Biden's does it take to screw in a light bulb?

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Excellent.
Recently, while I was placing some firearms into my cabinet my wife entered the room and said, "Is that really all you have?" To which I replied, "In long guns, yes."
"Huh, I just thought there were more."
Being a not entirely stupid man, I immediately bought a .45 carbine to help rectify any disappointment she might have felt in me as a man, or more precisely to fill in any gap in perceptions and reality before that door closed.
My question to you is: How many more do you think this allows me to get away with on a percentage basis?

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

To All: Excellent. This is just the kind of stuff I had hoped for. Keep 'em coming, and Happy New Year, in keeping with the situation.

from Mikey Hemlok wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

TC Contender type single shot handguns in serious rifle calibers - what's your take? Are they good for anything? If so, what and under what circumstances. I have a Contender with a 14" barrel in .35 Rem that I really like to shoot (3 or 4 rounds, anyway). It's very dramatic - but I can't imagine actually hunting with it instead of my .270. So what would you do with one?

from Pacific Hunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Beyond the classic arguments of you can get ammunition anywhere, what are the advantage of a 30-06 over all the newer more efficient cartridges? Just to get the column off to a rousing start

from Creek Chub wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

File this one under, "Why not roll your own?". I've been shooting for a while now, but would like to reload my more obscure calibers like .350 rem mag. What would be your suggestion for a newbie looking to reload? I'm leaning towards a set up from Hornady, but it's a pretty intimidating step. Thanks Dave

from elijahsamuelburnett wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

why are thompson center rifles so much more than Harrington & Richardson rifles?

from rob wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

When does your book come out?

from RipperIII wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I constantly read about the inherent accuracy of the .308 round, how it is preferred by military snipers and such.
But when I look at ballistics charts, it seems to shoot in a steeper arc than many other rounds, for instance the .270
"accuracy" in rifles, I think that I understand,...but "accuracy" in rounds is a bit confusing to me, can you explain?

from Douglas wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

What is the most efficient method for deep cleaning a rifled barrel?

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

If you get weary of the caliber of a very good rifle and decide to screw on a new barrel in a different caliber, is it required to rebed the barrel'd action to the stock?

from RPeterson wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Is there any reason to chose a .270 over a .270WSM?

from RPeterson wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I forgot to include what is the ideal barrel length for a .270 and the 270WSM

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Dave; Lets talk blackpoder flintlocks. There are substitute powders out there that work OK, well and just gum up the gun. I have never seen a study on ballistics of black powder substitutes and patch and round ball (as opposed to preformed tubes and sabots. An interesting subject and a lot of fun to boot.

from Greg Hart wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Dave,
Do you have any idea what kind of pressures a TC Encore in .45-70 can safely handle? I've written Thompson and they haven't replied at all.
Thank you and best of luck on your new assignment.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Would you rather run over your favorite rifle in your truck or kiss Hillary Clinton?

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Are you sure at your age you want to do this? Kindest Regards

from crm3006 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

DEP- Why are you such a curmudgeon? Part two: How would you compare your curmudgeonliness to that of, say, Elmer Keith? Part three: Where do you, personally, draw the line between varmint rifles (mouse guns) and deer rifles?
I say somewhere around the .243 Winchester, 6 mm Remington, or so. Your thoughts, please.

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

To Happy Myles: Oddly enough, I leaped at the chance. Will you be at SCI?

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Mr petzel
Yes , we will figure out a contact. Will be in Dallas next week, am easy to find there

from Ol Krusty wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal,

I don't know what to get my wife for our anniversary, should I get her a 280 Rem, or a cedar chest?

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Please excuse my spelling of your name. Have an old friend who uses an e instead of an a .

from Jim in Mo wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Dave I like the idea.
Curmudgeon, I doubt it, I consider myself a dog guy yet I only have a cat, I can travel that way with no bagage.

By now you must have heard of General Schwarzkopf's, passing.
A great leader in my mind.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Bedded vs floating barrels. What's the skinny? Is a free floating barrel more accurate or is all the hype I've heard over the years just overripe flatulence produced by know-nothing marketing whiz kids? All right, who hid my Geritol?

from K.C. Hanson wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

WSSMs? WTF?

from Zermoid wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I'm not sure even you could do this one justice....

Cartridge names, origins and meanings.

Example, 44 Magnum, fires a .429 bullet, why is it not a 43 Magnum? A 44cal Cap and ball revolver however fires a 454 round ball, why isn't it a 45 then?
30-06 is easy, but why is the 30-30 so named?
Interesting and educational subject if I do say so myself.

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

"Question 1:" I'd rather carry wood than composite any time in the field. What say you? I just really like the look and feel, the "aesthetic" if you will, of wood on my guns. I'm not pushing close to dirt nap age either, in fact I guess you could say my generation would have been one of the first to embrace synthetic stocks. I do have a couple of "plasticky" guns, but soon bought replacement wood stocks for them. Anyway, "Question 2:" What things would you do to prep your wood clad rifles for a practical everyday field hunting for accuracy and for protection without devaluing the firearm?

from timvance8 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Dave,
What is the allure of using a Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game hunting? Craig Boddington, a man of significant African experience, has a bevy of such rifles with his name on them dedicated to the pursuit. Not having been on such an expedition myself, I would think that when hunting game that can gore, trample or chew in a moment's notice, a rifle in hand with more than one round in battery would be a nice asset to have.
Thanks

from cb bob wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I recently ran into an old High School buddy I haven't seen in 30 years. He invited me to hunt Elk with him next year on his property in Colorado. My question is; do I bring a bottle of Mackinlay's recreation of the whiskey Ernest Shackleton brought on his "Nimrod Expedition" to Antarctica, or Cuban cigars?

from VanhetHof wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Please consider addressing rifle choices (or lack thereof) for us left-handers: Ruger Scout Rifle, Ruger Hawkeyes in RCM calibers, Browning, etc.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy commonsense discussion on CCW-related issues. Where else but here?

from ejpaul1 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

THe world doesnt have enough overly biased, over opinionated dyed-in-the-wool writers like yourself. I suppose its what keeps you in a job,,,,,

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

To ejpaul1: As Harry Truman said, "All I did was tell the truth and they thought I was giving them hell."

from RipperIII wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

@petzal,
I for one, am looking forward to your new endeavor.

from fox4 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal,

Beware the man with one gun...

What is the one gun?

from PbHead wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Happy New Year and good luck on you new column. It should be a great success despite the fact that maybe half of it is written by guys like me. My question: Describe the basic battery of firearms every sportsman should have.

from FOX wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

What is the best gun for use in deer/bear drives? action caliber, sights.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

David,
Can you accurately measure Rosie O'Donnell's turning diameter? Is it measured in meters or furlongs?

from xKATOx wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

If I had to choose a new 3" semi-auto shotgun in 12ga under $1000 which would it be?

from Bammer wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Why do hunters care about the sectional density of a bullet? It relates to the bullet's ability to penetrate, but only if the bullet remains cylindrical. Because rifle bullets mushroom on impact, isn't sectional denisty irrelevant?

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

As far as new rifle barrel break in and maintenance. With CNC machining being the norm is it necessary to break in a barrel? How often would you clean said barrel?

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

OK Dave have at it with this one!

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001483511#1...

from RENO wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

David, a few years ago, at the Harrisburg, PA, Eastern Outdoor Show, you gave an outstanding presentation on how to practice with your rifle. In it you covered using a caliber that won't beat you to death, and a specific regimen using specific targets. I believe that you began with a .22LR chambered weapon, and moved on to your favorite deer rifle, chambered in 7-08. Many thanks! I really enjoy your writing. Where can I purchase any books that you have published?

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Wow this is like the best news I have ever had! My favorite magazine is getting better. I have noticed you have been projecting more of your online attitude in the comments section of the rag, I have a feeling this had a lot to do with the new column. Merry Christmas to me.

I would like you to express your opinion on the current "assault rifle" or tactical rifle craze. Do you really think people will hunt with these or are they more of a fun gun that people will just use at the range? Really a 12 gauge pump shotgun is an all around better home defense tool than an AR ever will be. I don't think people are buying them for defense purposes, unless they truly think they are going to go to war with our own government. Any thoughts or comments?

from Ol Krusty wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Petzal,
Have you ever thought of writing a book about former writers and hunters? You have some very good first hand experience working and hunting with the likes of Finn Aaggard, Townsend Whelen, Colonel Cooper, Grits Gresham, and of course Warren Page just to name a few. I would suppose that you are among only few that can say that.
I fear that their knowledge, and expertise of hunting and what they were most known for in respect to their opinions will someday be lost or try to be replicated by someone who has no damn clue as to who they really were personally.
I have been reading some of Finn Aaggards, and Jack O'Connors works, and would love to read some of Whelens works too, but a first hand account would in my opinion be nothing short of excellent reading for those of us that enjoy learning about the pioneers of the hunting business.

from elmer f. wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

ok, i have one for you Mr Petzal. this is the 3.8 trillion dollar question. how do we gun folk, educate all the ignorant anti-gun humans, that for some reason, seem to gravitate to a career in politics. the one thing that makes me sick to my stomach, is a supposed representative of the people of The United States of America, drafting laws, about something they know nothing about. according to a NRA-ILA notice i received via e-mail, Senator Diaane Feinstein obviously has no clue about firearms, how they function, or what they can be used for, yet she wants to ban millions of guns because of HOW THEY LOOK IN PICTURES! if there is a REAL, VALID REASON to ban a particular firearm, then lets put it to a vote. let "We The People" decide. not someone who is afraid of how something looks in a picture. to me, that is a person who is terribly afraid of something.and that kind of fear is irrational. and we do not need weak, irrational, frightened people leading this country. we need strong, well adjusted, courageous people LEADING this country. right now our country, in case the elected residents of Washington D.C. have not noticed, is in serious trouble. and a bunch of cowards, hiding behind locked doors, making ridiculous laws is not going to help any.

from JoeGlenn wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Congrats on your new gig, Dave. You are going to be busy man!
Happy New Year!
JoeGlenn
Lakeland, FL

from Jim in Mo wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Who the hell are these people asking none related questions and comments to the topic? Geez

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from spad3 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

After chambering and unloading a cartridge several times during the course of a hunting season the nicely formed lead cone on the tip of the bullet often gets dinged and chewed up quite a bit. How much does this affect the accuracy of the round? I'm specifically referring to my favorite ammo Federal Premium loaded with Nosler partition bullets. Should those rounds be relegated to the target shooting pile or are they still acceptable for hunting?

from Del in KS wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Rockysquirrel I have been using Blackhorn 209 for 2 years in my flintlock and it works great. Just start your load with 10 grains or so of FFFg goex black powder then add a main charge of bh 209 and your bullet. Advantages are much less fouling, more velocity and much less smoke. Less smoke really helps when you want to see which way the deer ran after the shot. Less fouling makes loading that second shot much faster and easier. Don't forget the Goex, Blackhorn alone will not ignite in a flinter very well. BTW I have never read anything from DEP pertaining to Flintlocks. Thought I would offer a hand.

David, Glad to see your new column. Anything that gets more of your good writing on here for us to read is a plus IMO.

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

O'Great wise and all knowing, what do you know about this? Seriously!

D_ICK ACT of 1902... CAN'T BE REPEALED (GUN CONTROL FORBIDDEN) - Protection Against Tyrannical Government.

The D_ick Act of 1902 also known as the Efficiency of Militia Bill H.R. 11654, of June 28, 1902 invalidates all so-called gun-control laws. It also divides the militia into three distinct and separate entities.

The three classes H.R. 11654 provides for are the organized militia, henceforth known as the National Guard of the State, Territory and District of Columbia, the unorganized militia and the regular army. The militia encompasses every able-bodied male between the ages of 18 and 45. All members of the unorganized militia have the absolute personal right and 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms of any type, and as many as they can afford to buy.

The D_ick Act of 1902 cannot be repealed; to do so would violate bills of attainder and ex post facto laws which would be yet another gross violation of the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The President of the United States has zero authority without violating the Constitution to call the National Guard to serve outside of their State borders.

The National Guard Militia can only be required by the National Government for limited purposes specified in the Constitution (to uphold the laws of the Union; to suppress insurrection and repel invasion). These are the only purposes for which the General Government can call upon the National Guard.

Attorney General Wickersham advised President Taft, "the Organized Militia (the National Guard) can not be employed for offensive warfare outside the limits of the United States."

The Honorable William Gordon, in a speech to the House on Thursday, October 4, 1917, proved that the action of President Wilson in ordering the Organized Militia (the National Guard) to fight a war in Europe was so blatantly unconstitutional that he felt Wilson ought to have been impeached.

During the war with England an attempt was made by Congress to pass a bill authorizing the president to draft 100,000 men between the ages of 18 and 45 to invade enemy territory, Canada. The bill was defeated in the House by Daniel Webster on the precise point that Congress had no such power over the militia as to authorize it to empower the President to draft them into the regular army and send them out of the country.

The fact is that the President has no constitutional right, under any circumstances, to draft men from the militia to fight outside the borders of the USA, and not even beyond the borders of their respective states. Today, we have a constitutional LAW which still stands in waiting for the legislators to obey the Constitution which they swore an oath to uphold.

Charles Hughes of the American Bar Association (ABA) made a speech which is contained in the Appendix to Congressional Record, House, September 10, 1917, pages 6836-6840 which states: "The militia, within the meaning of these provisions of the Constitution is distinct from the Army of the United States." In these pages we also find a statement made by Daniel Webster, "that the great principle of the Constitution on that subject is that the militia is the militia of the States and of the General Government; and thus being the militia of the States, there is no part of the Constitution worded with greater care and with more scrupulous jealousy than that which grants and limits the power of Congress over it."

"This limitation upon the power to raise and support armies clearly establishes the intent and purpose of the framers of the Constitution to limit the power to raise and maintain a standing army to voluntary enlistment, because if the unlimited power to draft and conscript was intended to be conferred, it would have been a useless and puerile thing to limit the use of money for that purpose. Conscripted armies can be paid, but they are not required to be, and if it had been intended to confer the extraordinary power to draft the bodies of citizens and send them out of the country in direct conflict with the limitation upon the use of the militia imposed by the same section and article, certainly some restriction or limitation would have been imposed to restrain the unlimited use of such power."

The Honorable William Gordon
Congressional Record, House, Page 640 - 1917

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Sen Diane Frankenstein isn't going to like this!

The Militia Act and the revised Militia Act (the D_ick Act), make it quite clear that all men between the ages of 18 and 45 are the (unorganized) militia with an absolute right to keep and bear Arms under the Article II of the Bill of Rights, of whatever type; automatic or semi-automatic, regardless of size, magazine capacity, barrel length or caliber/gauge in any quantity they may deem necessary along with any amount of ammunition they may determine from time to time.

"The Right to Keep and Bear Arms Report", of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the United States Senate Judiciary Committee; Ninety-seventh Congress, second session, February 1982. Orrin Hatch, Chairman.
"That the National Guard is not the "Militia" referred to in the Second Amendment is even clearer today. Congress has organized the National Guard under its power to "raise and support armies", and not its power to "Provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia." This Congress chose to do so in the interest of organizing reserve military units which were not limited in deployment by the strictures of our power over Constitutional militia, which can be called forth only "to execute the laws of the Union, suppress insurrection, and repel invasions." The modern National Guard was specifically intended to avoid status as the Constitutional militia, a distinction recognized by Title 10 United States Code 311 (a)."

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commenter and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner."

The Second Amendment right to keep and bear Arms, therefore, is a right of the individual citizen to privately possess and carry in a peaceful manner firearms and similar arms. Such an individual rights interpretation is in full accord with the history of the right to keep and bear arms previously discussed...It accurately reflects the majority of proposals that lead up to the Bill of Rights itself.

NOW, THEREFORE, all existing or future so-called "gun and/or ammunition laws", of whatever name or form under "color of law", whether Federal, Federal Agency, Pseudo Federal Agency, State, County or Municipal that infringes, abridges or restricts in any manner, the God given, unalienable, indefeasible, Constitutional right of Citizens to keep and bear Arms peaceably, openly or concealed, for their defense of life, liberty, and property are prima facie violations of Article 1, Sec. 9, Part 3; Article 6, Part 2; and Amendments I, II, IV, IX, and X of the Constitution for the United States of America; Article 2; Sec. 1, Sec. 2, Sec. 4, Sec. 5, Sec. 27, and Sec. 29 of the Constitution for the State of Arkansas; and the D_ick Act of 1902, and are NO LAW, ab initio, ultra vires, of no force and effect, incumbent upon no one to obey or any court to enforce.

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Jim in Mo well snit! -1 for you? +1 I say!

from Knife Freak wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Will putting a sling on your shotgun stock devalue the gun or will the value stay the same?
Knife Freak

from firedog11 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Folks since when has the Constitution or the Bill of rights stopped these folks from trying to impose their agenda. Certainly not the courts. Wonder why Jefferson said " the tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of tyrants"? By the way great book by you and Phil.

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

With alot of back yard shooting ranges here in Maine, and around the country, what are some of the more important tools or tactics we should acquire or practice to improve our shooting of both rifles and shotguns? Take us from the basics to the honing of a professional shooter. Congratulations, and best wishes.

God bless,
Matthew Briggs

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Clay Cooper... Great Stuff! This is what needs to saturate the media!!!! Keep it up.

from jimherb wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Why do they keep coming out with a plethora of new rifles, pistols revolver and cartridges that seem little different from the ones introduced last week?

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

woodsdog

From Clays archives of bookmarks, places, information and things to read,

Useful idiots is a name that no group of people would like to be called. It is however, what most Americans are relied upon to be by the powers that be. When the voting segment of our country fails to vote to stay free and instead allows itself to fall for the same old word games and mind manipulation, it sadly earns the title of useful idiots. In contemporary America, too many Americans are naive about their political "system" and its politicians. Therefore, we are as a people, where we are, because we allow it to be so. You see, America is a land of plenty, plenty of food, plenty of money, plenty of gods, plenty of corrupt politicians and alas, plenty of useful idiots that repetively vote for them.

America is also a land of plenty of mindless indifference towards the useful idiots and where their misguided votes are taking all of us. If this was of no consequence to the rest of America we could laugh at the idiocy; however, much in every way, we are impacted. Therefore, this site was created to identify the idiocy, explain it and seek to end it. We hope we can awaken some people to their errant ways by challenging them to see how arrogant politicians exploit their inadvertent "idiocy" and as a result, motivate them to reject the idiot's role once and for all.

We have observed that the conversion of the public consensus from dependency on God, self and family to dependency upon socialism is accomplished through incrementally rearranging how Americans view themselves and their place in the world. This systematic approach succeeds as long as it is done step by step via skillful propaganda in conjunction with an effectual dumbing down of the American people; these changes are accepted when done slowly.

While we are not necessarily conspiracy adherents, we can't help but see obvious patterns emerging to some of our governments focus and draw logical conclusions. Toward that end, our main purpose is to reveal the motive and process of these changes and to cause the alarm and healthy rational fear and skepticism needed to stop the socialism and the corrosive thinking behind it before it ruins our country.

from jimherb wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Dave,
Have you ever used the "Butt Out" tool when dressing a deer, and if so, did you enjoy it?

from chaplainthom wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

What is the deference between the nato 5.56 round and the .223 besides speed & pressure?

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Hi...

What's a "curmudgeon"...??

from switchbuilder44 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Hello Dave , What is your openion on the accuracy of the 17 HM2 , I have one a friend built me from a 510 rem that seen better days ,it will shoot 1 hole 4 shot group 3/8 in dia at 100 yds on a windless day , I know you can take out a bobcat at 146yds with it but never shot it out further than that ,have you had any experience with one ?

from billhilly7 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I'm a bit skeptical about all these new multi-purpose "CLP" (cleaners lubricants preservatives). I also am not a scientist, but do not understand how a liquid can penetrate metal and subsequently magically "self lubricate" from that point on as some claim. I don't have the time to test all ten billion kinds that there are out there. Is there any merit to their claims? Which works best if any, or does using separate cleaners, oils and preservatives work better? Point me in the right direction please!!!

from traprocks wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Is it worthwhile to buy calibers that are not as popular as the 270, 30-06, etc, and hunt with them even though the price is much much more for the same output of killing game.

from hutter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Dave, If your hunting dog ate a pound of meat before he started,ran a mile before he farted,how far would he go before he sh!t ? Sorry Dave a little humor !

from rock rat wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Are you still going to write the Gun Nut column?

from macmadman wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

My wife has asked me about getting a firearm specifically for home defense. She has no background or experience with firearms. I was thinking a 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun, as she is rather small, and I'm not sure she would want to deal with anything larger, plus I'm not getting any younger. Also, this would be very much a point it and pull the trigger weapon. She will need to practice with whatever we get.

What would you recommend?

We live in a single floor townhouse in a suburban area.

from Marion Johnson wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

In 60 years of reading, I have never seen an explanation for "buckhorn" rear sights or how they are to be used. A precursor to the aperture sight? A "long range" sight? For a long time I thought it must be just a decoration but have seen it on some muzzle loaders of men not given to useless ornaments on tools necessary for survival.
The only use it has been to me is for catching on vines while I am trying to slip through the underbrush like smoke. This in turn, has allowed opportunity to practice my vocabulary of invectives.

from Marion Johnson wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Virtually every gun writer at some time has written of the perilous financial conditions in which he lives. ( I have never seen this wail from the few female outdoor writers I know.) In view of this, how do you poor wretches afford the gear and trips when you aren't "testing" some gun/ammo at some company's-ultimately customer's-expense? I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering if I could apply those techniques to my own situation.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Neat idea,

I would like to ask a question that probably goes against your nature, but what is the best deer rifle, handgun, shotgun, and blackpower gun each under $400.00? Having seen the best of the best I think you would be able to judge the best of the cheapest.

Have fun on the new collumn Mr. Petzal

from 007 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

DEP, why, when it has such potential, has the .257 Roberts been so underloaded by the factories and then saddled with round nose fodder over the years? Seems like putting a Pinto motor in a funny car. Good hunting and happy new year.

from Shuck M. wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

In Journalism, when you tick off the top brass, they can't send you to some outpost in Siberia. They give you a q&a column.
What'd you do, Dave. Or, what did Phil NOT do.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

007, now that's a good question.

from JCB wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

What is the meaning of the sporting life?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Woodsdog: Read the Militia Act of 1903 (that's the correct title) for yourself. There isn't a damn thing in it about gun control legislation. Some folks just like to make reality up as they go along. As a professional historian I find that reprehensible. But it's the kind of thing the US govt expected from me when I was a historian for them. Birds of a feather ...

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

In your opinion, what are the traits and characteristics of a true sportsman?

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Why are you so grumpy?

from Hugh Bryan wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Is rasslin' fake?

from Safado wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Dave,
My question is what are the rifles used by guides and outfitters? I have always been curious about which rifles are commonly used by guides in the West, Alaska and Africa since these are guys whose lives and livelihood depend on their rifles.

from O Garcia wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Dave,
why do American companies still underload the 8mm Mauser when the German decision to switch to the hotter, .323" dia. load happened in 1905, and that majority of 8mm Mausers, made in WW1 and WW2, are already in .323"?

from O Garcia wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Dave,
why did Lefty (Warren Page) not champion the 7mm Weatherby?

Is Savage still the champion of affordable rifles, or do the Wby Vanguard and the recent offerings of Thompson-Center surpass it in value?

Why does Remington continue to hype the introduction AND then foul up the marketing and supply of its cartridges? The 6mm, .350 and 6.5 mags, the 8mm, the .260, the SAUM's, the .30RAR, the list will probably go on and on. What is it that Winchester does, what magic, what genius do Winchester guys have, that seems to have escaped Remington?

from Safado wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

David,
Since you're a lefty I would like to know what you reccommend to shooters that are right handed but are left eye dominant? I am also curious if stocks are made for right handed left eye dominant shooters because I have slight problems with Monte Carlo stocks on right handed rifles.

from BeechPilot wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

David,
Do you find collector value in purchasing firearms such as Remington's model 700 50th anniversary rifle, Winchester's model 70 commemorative rifles from Cabela's or similar firearms? How much does shooting the firearms (treating them with care) effect their value?

I enjoy your writing and look forward to your new column.

P.S. The Gun Manual is an excellent read. Kudos to you and Phil.

from mspl8sdcntryboy wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Dave here's the best question I can think of right now- Can you give me a job!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Is Chad Love blind? If not, what's with the dark glasses?

from 007 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

MickeyHemlock, I'm not DEP but I'd like to answer your question. I too have a Contender barrel in .35 Remington. Handloaded with a good quality 200 grain bullet at reasonable ranges it is an absolute thumper on white tails, and in addition, handgun hunting for anythign brings a whole different experience. Try it, I doubt you will be disappointed. Good hunting.

from 007 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Spelling goof above, make that "Mikey Hemlock". Sorry.

from sticky wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

How long have you sported a beard and can you explain the relative positive and negative aspects of beards in hunting and the shooting sports?

from blackjac wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I read but cannot locate a blog about buying and saving money on sporting equipment on E Bay. Please be wary of any marine electronics, salt water fishing gear being sold from the north east-NY, NJ and CT.!! Aside from property damage, thousands of boats were damaged and or lost. Looters lost no time in stripping boats and offering the items for sale on EBay, Craigs list etc. I know of this first hand from several boating friends who were able to locate their boats long after the Hurricane Sandy passed that had been striped. National Guard and local police have done a great job protecting as best they can damaged home from looters. A floating/adrift dislocated boat is another matter and it only takes a few minutes for these bastards to strip a boat. Think twice before purchasing any marine gear and check out the "sellers" past sales record.

from RPeterson wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Mr Petzal,
If you were going to buy a Jarrett rifle, would you choose it in .300win mag or the .300jarrett and what barrel length? And why that caliber? Assuming you did not own any .30mags or .338's.

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Globally-linked supercomputers were recently employed to fathom the age-old question...30-06 vs. 270.

The answer was "42."

Your thoughts?

from fenris_ulf wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Hey Petzal. I'm looking to purchase my first hunting rifle for deer/hog and I've narrowed the search down to a Browning A-Bolt, T/C Venture or Icon, Marlin X7, Ruger American or Remington 700/Winchester 70 if I can get a good deal. What's your pick of the litter? I'd like to stick with something made in 'Merica for my first rifle and something chambered in a .270 or .30/06.

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

7mm Tikka T3 stainless in wood vs Kimber 280 stainless w/ wood/ vs Browning x-bolt 7mm-08 white gold medallion?

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

What's the longest shot you have taken game with the 1895 45-70, and if you had better vision would you remove the scope?

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

What is the fastest mile you have ever run?

If you were only allowed one rifle and one shotgun to hunt with for the rest of your life which two would you choose? Scratch that, make it one centerfire rifle and one rimfire rifle... do you own a shotgun?

from cb bob wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

David,
In your opinion, is "Fire lapping" a barrel an alternative to the expense of having it hand lapped.

from Safado wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Knowing that all things would be relative; with today's new powders can handloaders get magnum performance out of non-magnum cartridges. For example can you get a 30-06 to perform to the ballistics of say a 300 Win Mag or even 300 Weatherby Magnum? Could you get a .270 Win to perform like a .270 Weatherby Magnum? Can you make a 22-250 perform like the original 220 Swift or a 25-06 to perform like a .257 Weatherby Magnum? I have been getting spectacular results using Reloader 17 thus the question.

from Roger Chatterton wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

I watch a lot of TV shows showing hunters in Africa. One of the things which continually bugs me is how they carry rifles. Why do they insist on carrying them with one hand on the rifle barrel, and resting on top of their shoulder. Number one, this looks to be very uncomfortable. Number two, it looks to be very unsafe in controlling the muzzle direction. Number three, it has to be very hard on the finish of the weapon. Yet they all do it. And why do they always have one of the natives carrying a full auto AK-47? Is that if they run into poachers, or if the guide fails to hit his mark on a charging animal.

from catfish743 wrote 50 weeks 3 days ago

#89 in The Total Gun Manual. You said not to re-oil a
rifle action after cleaning. Why will the metal in the
action not rust and corrode if it is left unprotected?

from catfish743 wrote 50 weeks 2 days ago

#89 in The Total Gun Manual. You say to not re-oil a
rifle action after cleaning. Why will the metal in the
action not rust and corrode if left unprotected?

from David Blasky wrote 30 weeks 3 days ago

I am interested in starting bow hunting and was wanting to get some suggestions on a good bow to begin with. Thank you for any help.

from jim freeman wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

Why are there so many articles and stories printed about mid west whitetail hunting and not so many on the north east. Not everybody lives in these "big buck" states? Thanks

from thetracker wrote 23 weeks 11 hours ago

To David E. Petzal-
As a fan of the 22 magnum and 17 HMR, it saddens me that so few gun manufacturers offer these calibers in a semi-automatic. Why is that?

Also, what was your military title, rank, and years of service?

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from TM wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Excellent.
"Huh, I just thought there were more."

from Creek Chub wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

What is the most efficient method for deep cleaning a rifled barrel?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

David,

from 007 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

woodsdog

From Clays archives of bookmarks, places, information and things to read,

from steve182 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

How many Biden's does it take to screw in a light bulb?

from RipperIII wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I'm not sure even you could do this one justice....

Cartridge names, origins and meanings.

30-06 is easy, but why is the 30-30 so named?
Interesting and educational subject if I do say so myself.

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Bammer wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from chaplainthom wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Marion Johnson wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from Hugh Bryan wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Is rasslin' fake?

from Mjenkins1 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from New Age Bubba wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Hey, if you can have a comment in Gun and Garden, I can read the NYT. ;)

from TM wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Also, for the February issue:

from Mikey Hemlok wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Pacific Hunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from elijahsamuelburnett wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Are you sure at your age you want to do this? Kindest Regards

from crm3006 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from VanhetHof wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from ejpaul1 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from fox4 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal,

Beware the man with one gun...

What is the one gun?

from PbHead wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from xKATOx wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Ol Krusty wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Petzal,

from elmer f. wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from spad3 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

O'Great wise and all knowing, what do you know about this? Seriously!

The Honorable William Gordon
Congressional Record, House, Page 640 - 1917

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

God bless,
Matthew Briggs

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Hi...

What's a "curmudgeon"...??

from Marion Johnson wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Neat idea,

Have fun on the new collumn Mr. Petzal

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

007, now that's a good question.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

In your opinion, what are the traits and characteristics of a true sportsman?

from O Garcia wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Dave,
why did Lefty (Warren Page) not champion the 7mm Weatherby?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Is Chad Love blind? If not, what's with the dark glasses?

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from rob wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

When does your book come out?

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from RPeterson wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Is there any reason to chose a .270 over a .270WSM?

from RPeterson wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I forgot to include what is the ideal barrel length for a .270 and the 270WSM

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Greg Hart wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Dave,
Thank you and best of luck on your new assignment.

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

To Happy Myles: Oddly enough, I leaped at the chance. Will you be at SCI?

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Mr petzel

from Ol Krusty wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal,

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Dave I like the idea.

By now you must have heard of General Schwarzkopf's, passing.
A great leader in my mind.

from K.C. Hanson wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

WSSMs? WTF?

from timvance8 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Thanks

from cb bob wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from RipperIII wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

@petzal,
I for one, am looking forward to your new endeavor.

from FOX wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

What is the best gun for use in deer/bear drives? action caliber, sights.

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

OK Dave have at it with this one!

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001483511#1...

from RENO wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from JoeGlenn wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Congrats on your new gig, Dave. You are going to be busy man!
Happy New Year!
JoeGlenn
Lakeland, FL

from Del in KS wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Sen Diane Frankenstein isn't going to like this!

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Jim in Mo well snit! -1 for you? +1 I say!

from Knife Freak wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Knife Freak

from firedog11 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from jimherb wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from jimherb wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from switchbuilder44 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from billhilly7 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from traprocks wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from hutter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Are you still going to write the Gun Nut column?

from macmadman wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

What would you recommend?

We live in a single floor townhouse in a suburban area.

from Shuck M. wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

What'd you do, Dave. Or, what did Phil NOT do.

from JCB wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

What is the meaning of the sporting life?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Why are you so grumpy?

from Safado wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from O Garcia wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from Safado wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

David,

from BeechPilot wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

David,

I enjoy your writing and look forward to your new column.

P.S. The Gun Manual is an excellent read. Kudos to you and Phil.

from mspl8sdcntryboy wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Dave here's the best question I can think of right now- Can you give me a job!

from 007 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Spelling goof above, make that "Mikey Hemlock". Sorry.

from sticky wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from blackjac wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from RPeterson wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Mr Petzal,

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

The answer was "42."

Your thoughts?

from fenris_ulf wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

What is the fastest mile you have ever run?

from cb bob wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

David,

from Safado wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from Roger Chatterton wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from catfish743 wrote 50 weeks 3 days ago

#89 in The Total Gun Manual. You said not to re-oil a
rifle action after cleaning. Why will the metal in the
action not rust and corrode if it is left unprotected?

from catfish743 wrote 50 weeks 2 days ago

#89 in The Total Gun Manual. You say to not re-oil a
rifle action after cleaning. Why will the metal in the
action not rust and corrode if left unprotected?

from David Blasky wrote 30 weeks 3 days ago

from jim freeman wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

from thetracker wrote 23 weeks 11 hours ago

To David E. Petzal-

Also, what was your military title, rank, and years of service?

from Jim in Mo wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago