Best Squirrel Rifle Ever: Volquartsen Rimfire

The Gun Nuts

January 29, 2013

Best Squirrel Rifle Ever: Volquartsen Rimfire

By The Editors

This futuristic-looking rimfire from Volquartsen just might be the hottest squirrel hunting rifle around. It features a hollowed-out stock with thumbhole, an aluminum receiver, and carbon fiber barrel with an overstated free-floating design.

It's available in .22 LR, .22 Mag, and .17 HMR.

from ENO wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

For the serious squirrel hunter that has "everything".

from ENO wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

For the serious squirrel hunter that has "everything".

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I usually hate futuristic crap like this, I like old and proven designs, but for some reason I like everything about this gun. If I bought one and it jammed more than once the first 100 times I shot it though, I would be extremely upset. I have had bad luck with semi auto rimfires, except for the venerable 10/22. I've never even heard of one of those that would not shoot.

How good a track record does this rifle have? What kind of accuracy? It should be a 100 yard tack driver for the kind of money they ask...

I can't find this particular rifle on their website but the cheapest superlite they have is $1,100. I am certain the one he holds in his hands is a lot closer to $2,000 if not more.

from 007 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Eddie Nickens, (tongue in cheek here), don't let Feinstein see that, looks like an assault rifle!

from NHshtr wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

A $1200+ 22LR squirrel rifle? I think that's more for showing off to friends (and there's nothing wrong with that!)

from dneaster3 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

"Best Squirrel Hunting Rifle Ever".... yet it has not even killed a squirrel yet? Get a grip.

I love seeing all the new toys coming out of these trade shows, but this ridiculous hyperbole does no good for anyone.

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Hi...

It sure is pretty, isn't it? Good for the guy who has everything. Kinda looks like a budget-buster, though, eh? Wish they included the actual price, though.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Way too much money. I have a 10/22 that I customized myself that will shoot rings around that thing and it even with the customizing it weel under the price

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

sorry should say well under the price

from argoman wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

first off, too much money, can buy a lot of beef for $1,100+. the space between the barrel and forearm will catch brush and weeds. around here we don't like to shoot rifle bullets into the air,where they can come down, know not where, so we pretty much use a.410 or 20 ga. also, i hunt grouse and only shoot squirrels when they don't mess up my grouse hunting. Wisconsin woodlands are being taken over by houses more and more.

from canvasbackhunter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Maybe I'm stupid, but what, other than weight, are the advantages of the carbon fiber barrel over a traditional barrel.

from hutter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Bet I can kill more squirels with my 60y.o. Marlin Levermatic

from nc30-06 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

I love my Remington Nylon 66. It always fires and is accurate.

from Gadget Bob wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

Hi guys, I can testify to the accuracy and quality of these carbon fiber-barreled Volquartsen rifles. They are precision and will deliver excellent groups when paired with Hornady ammo in 22 Mag and 17HMR as well as quality .22LR fodder such as RWS and Eley. My "mags" will both hold an inch at hundred yards and the .22LR will easily shoot little, round sub 1/2 inch groups at 50 on windless days. The .22LR Superlite, shooting subsonic RWS or Eley, is great on squirrel here in Texas. Paired with an SWR Spectre suppressor, now legal here for game, is awesome.

These rifles are not inexpensive, but I am very happy with them. I'll save money elsewhere!

from Southernstates wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

I love to squirrel hunt and usually prefer a .22 single shot bolt action marlin.

from Retired Chief wrote 39 weeks 1 day ago

Best squirrel rifle ever, except here in Pennsylvania where the hunting regulations are still legislated by Puritans and Quakers from the 17th century. Semi-auto rifles and pistols are forbidden to be used for hunting. Even if one was to use it as a single-shot, it is still illegal. I have a scary-accurate 10/22 which I built, and it would be a wonderful squirrel rifle. I asked the Game Commission if I could use it as a single-shot and was told absolutely not.

from Tom-Tom wrote 38 weeks 3 days ago

Why would anyone buy ANY .22 rifle when you srill can not buy any ammunition for one; except, of course, unless you do not mind paying $80 for a brick of .22 at the local gun show.

from 007 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Gadget Bob wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from ENO wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

For the serious squirrel hunter that has "everything".

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Hi...

from argoman wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Retired Chief wrote 39 weeks 1 day ago

from ENO wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

For the serious squirrel hunter that has "everything".

from NHshtr wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from dneaster3 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

sorry should say well under the price

from canvasbackhunter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from hutter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Bet I can kill more squirels with my 60y.o. Marlin Levermatic

from nc30-06 wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

I love my Remington Nylon 66. It always fires and is accurate.

from Southernstates wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago