New Pump Shotgun: Winchester SXP Field

The Gun Nuts

January 22, 2013

New Pump Shotgun: Winchester SXP Field

By The Editors

The Winchester SXP (Super X Pump) is a redesigned version of the old model 1300. The gun now comes with a traditional walnut stock and will be available for $399. Like all SXP hunting variations, this gun is backbored and comes with the Invector-plus choke tube system.

from ejunk wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

does this gun have the same (not sure the correct terminology, so my apologies) "short stroke" kind of action that the 1300 had? for the life of me I have no idea why they ever quit making the 1300. I get the impression that nobody in Winchester's marketing department gives two hoots about these pump guns, either. I know its not much in the way of evidence, but I've never seen an SXP pump on the shelves that wasn't the home defense model.

from GregMc wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

A turkish-made pump gun for $400? I'll pass.

from Jim D wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Sort of hard to make the SXP at New Haven, ya know. The SXP is a much improved version of the 1300; I own several of each and really approve.

Hmmm, seems lots of Turkish shotguns are here already, the Stoegers, the Weatherby plus many more. It is a sweet handling shotgun. I installed the Signature Invector plus turkey tube in mine (in place of the stock short tube) which makes for an even better pattern.

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

The right up says Traditional Walnut stock but your say in the video, "walnut finish" stock. What is it? Real walnut or walnut finished birch or maple?

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

The "write up"

from Jim D wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

It is walnut finished hardwood, according to the 2013 catalog. I hope a real walnut will follow soon.

from art6555 wrote 48 weeks 1 day ago

This is a sweet little shotty. I carried an old (real old or just one that has seen a lot of hard use) 1200 (I am 99% sure it was a 1200) in Iraq until an extractor broke on an early morning raid.(I have heard people say the loudest sound in the world is an empty gun going "bang" when you expect a "click". When this happened I would argue that the loudest sound would be not hearing the pump lock up when you try to slide it forward!)It was replaced by a brand new Mossberg 500.

Well, short story long, I bought this new 1300 for $329 at the gun shop and it is on well built fighting shot gun. I also had to buy a 500, love it too. It does have the "speed pump" or "short stroke" (I am terminology challenged like you ejunk)set up like the old ones did. It practically cycles itself.

from Jim D wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from GregMc wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

A turkish-made pump gun for $400? I'll pass.

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago