No Love for Shotguns in Firearms Buying Frenzy

The Gun Nuts

January 22, 2013

No Love for Shotguns in Firearms Buying Frenzy

By Phil Bourjaily

I heard the following story at SHOT from a friend in the industry:

A man walked into a gunstore looking for 5.56 ammo for his AR. As is not uncommon these days, the store was out.

“How about that box of ammo there? I’ll take it,” said the customer, pointing to a lone box of .416 Rigby on the nearly empty shelf.

“Do you have a .416 Rigby rifle?” asked the clerk.

“Nope,” said the man, reaching for his wallet. “I’ll take it anyway.”

Whether the story is true as in “it actually happened” I don’t know, but it rings true enough. There are lots of stories of people going to gunstores with $1,200 in their pocket looking for an AR. When they can’t find one they just buy a gun – any gun – a bolt action, a muzzleloader, whatever.

My local store has been out of Ruger 10/22 rimfires for months and can’t get more. There was a lone pink-stocked ugly duckling of a 10/22 that remained unsold after all the others were gone, but someone probably realized they could put an aftermarket stock on it and snapped it up. Or maybe they painted it or are just shooting it in the pink. Who knows?

The unfortunate thing from my point of view is, aside from guns for 3-gun, home defense and zombie shooting*, shotguns are not getting much love in this current buying frenzy. I did find enough to fill a gallery we’ll be posting soon, but rifles and handguns are where it’s at these days, sad to say.

But don't tell that to the two Elvis impersonators that showed up at the Beretta booth.

*I saw slightly less zombie stuff this year than last. Perhaps zombies have peaked.

from GPBound wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Hey Phil..didn't you wear that white outfit in the last Beretta field test?

from cb bob wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I'm surprised shotguns aren't flying off the shelves too. Not the over/unders or side by sides, but pumps and semi-auto's. With all the tactical jewelry available they should be more popular.

from 1uglymutha wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

if there was any justice in the world elvis would still be alive and all the elvis inpersonators would be dead.

from philbourjaily wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

For the record, there was a third Elvis at the booth but he didn't fit in the frame. All three came from the same Elvis agency. They told me they could do any era Elvis you want, including Pre-Army Elvis and Leather Comeback Elvis.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

That's because the nimrods out there buying ARs and high cap pistols don't know much about home defense. If they did they would buy a short barreled shot gun and load it up with 00 buck. one of the very best home defense guns out there. This is just the start of what is to come. With all these dumbshits out there buying guns and have no idea how to use them. No training, no nothing !! BTW did any one see how high the prices are going?? Gun stores are making money by the handfuls, so thank-you Mr president.

from ckRich wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Or maybe it is because many already have a cherished shotgun or three, and are panicking about what they don't have?

While I know quite a few gun owners that don't have pistols or AR's, I know very few gun owners that don't have at least one shotgun.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

deadeyedick,
10-4 on the dipsticks snapping up guns. I have seen folks buying guns that are more of a danger to themselves than perps. All they are doing is driving up prices that won't come down after the panic is over. So someone explain to me how one is to keep a "banned" item assuming it is documented in an FFL transfer? A man ought to have the firearms he feels that he needs at all times regardless of the political landscape. Just who are these ninnies going to take up arms against anyway?

from CL3 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

It's all mind blowing. Glad to hear the zombie nonsense may have peaked.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I drew a lot of odd looks while purchasing a 20g Condor at my local shop in December.

The 10/22 is about the only thing that I don't have and want that might be impacted by any legislation (which i think is looking unlikely in the short term) and they're damned hard to find at the moment.

Dave,
I just recieved my first zombie targets in my stocking from the wife. She thought it was the newest greatest thing. I can't tell if that means I generally have her in the right or wrong establishments. I think she needs to get to the range either way.

from Red Angus wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I would think that shotguns would go as fast as rifles, I reckon most folks are not as interested in shotguns or else they are more worried about rifles being banned and shotguns not. deadeyedick is right on for home defense, although I believe that at 30 feet or less a heavy turkey load would be just as effective and have less potential of penetrating walls and hitting a friendly on the other side, but that's just my take on it.

Shoot safe and God Bless America...

from jjas wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I was in my lgs the other day and we were talking about the run on ARs and high cap pistols.

The two salesman there were laughing about how 75% of the ARs and pistols would likely never be shot and would probably be sold back to the gun shop (for .50 cents on the dollar) in the Summer when these guys wives want to go on vacation and they need some money......

Regardless, I did my part for shotguns. I purchased a new Mossberg shotgun for turkey season. It has a short barrel, it's all dolled up in camo and in a pinch I guess anyone who breaks into my home won't likely notice that the shotgun I'm wielding is field gun and not a special "home defense" shotgun.....

from goin2themountains wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

One more for viewing this CF as panic buying over what might be banned, t'evil black guns and semi-auto pistols with high cap magazines. None of this has any real bearing on hunting or self defense. I did hear a report the other day of a 1200.00 AR being the last one in the shop, and being sold over the phone for over 2,000.00. This is just nutz.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

On the purchasing front. It should not be Obama, nor should it be anyone else what an eligible consumer wants to purchase. They should make the choice. Supply/demand dictates the price. Stick to sound economic principles. When my sporting goods store had Ak-47 ammo a 1000 round carton went for $479. When other stores in the area had them they went for over $700

from art6555 wrote 47 weeks 5 days ago

Well, I went out and bought a Winchester 1300 and Mossberg 500 for approximately $325 each and ordered 10 cases of Winchester #4 Heavy Game loads for about $42 per case (this was about a week prior to Sandy Hook, the store I bought from just had one helluva sale. So for about $1000 I got set up for hours of fun. But, I did buy an AR last summer when S$W was giving vets $100 rebate for Memorial Day, the rifle cost me $599. I bought 7 Magpul 30 round mags for $9.99 at that time, and stocked up somewhat on ammo. I had a guy at work offer me $2500 for the set up. I didn't take his money, I told him to wait and it will come back down.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

deadeyedick,

from cb bob wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from 1uglymutha wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from GPBound wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Hey Phil..didn't you wear that white outfit in the last Beretta field test?

from philbourjaily wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

It's all mind blowing. Glad to hear the zombie nonsense may have peaked.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Dave,

from Red Angus wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Shoot safe and God Bless America...

from jjas wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago