SHOT 2013: A Strange and Ominous Calm

The Gun Nuts

January 16, 2013

SHOT 2013: A Strange and Ominous Calm

By David E. Petzal

Despite the fact that residents of New York state have just had a loathsome wad of gun restrictions shoved down their collective throat by their satanic governor Andrew Cuomo, and that President Obama is cooking up something equally as wonderful, the SHOT Show seems to have taken little notice that I can detect as I lurch around the floor.  The one comment I have heard a good bit is that “Obama thinks he’s emperor, and we’re gonna have to show him what’s what.”

Well, I have news. He is emperor, thanks to a Congress that long ago degenerated into a food fight, one that’s peopled by the most ineffectual group ever assembled on the North American continent. Say “power vacuum.”

Say “magazine clip,” which seems to be the current catch phrase used by news nitwits and the Pres to describe where cartridges feed from.

But I digress. The place is jammed, as usual, and everyone who doesn’t have the flu will get the flu. It sounds like the seal tank at the San Diego Zoo. Yesterday, I saw a heavily bearded man cough up something the color of a swamp that scuttled across the floor and attacked a bomb-sniffing golden retriever. I can’t tell you how it came out because I ran away.

Oh yes, guns. The most interesting one I’ve seen is the Remington Model 783, which looks like the result of sex between a Ruger American Rifle and a Marlin Model 2000. It’s a mid-price rifle that sells for around $451, and is Remington’s first modern rifle. John Fink, the Remington designer whose baby it is, says unapologetically that he and his colleagues adopted the best ideas from other companies, plus what they came up with themselves. It’s a synthetic-stocked bolt-action with a detachable magazine, two-stage trigger, Super Cell recoil pad, and a massive, enclosed receiver. John says that the accuracy they’ve gotten from the rifle is astounding, and I believe it. The 783 is built so that it can only shoot accurately.

It comes in standard and magnum calibers, and all barrels, whether standard or magnum, are magnum contoured, which is a very smart thing to do. The barrels are button rifled, not hammered, which is a very good thing as well.

The 783 is a clean break from the past, and a gun that the company needed very badly. The Model 700 (which will stay in the line) is over 60 years old. It was, in its time, the state-of-the-art way to build a bolt gun, but not any more. Now, the 783 holds that title.

from RPeterson wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Mr Petzal,
How is the fit and finish of the Remington 783 compared to the Vangaurd S2? And, do you think you will be able to get one for review?

from stick500 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

F&S is allowing Pretzal to call a Governor "satanic" just because he disagrees with what he's doing in response to a bunch of school kids getting blasted last month?
David would have a lot more credibility with both sides if he didn't use the inflammatory language of the "gun kooks" who most people feel shouldn't even have a gun in their hands.

-36 Good Comment? | | Report
from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

stick500,
You obviously wouldn't know good satire if it jumped up and bit you on the buttocks. Just sayin' ....

from auburn_hunter wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

To piggy-back on @RPeterson's question, would Mr. Petzal happen to have any pictures of said 783?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

War Eagle,
Google Remington 783. Richard Mann did a piece for American Rifleman and pics are online.

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I don't know about you stick, but I'm worried about that bearded guy and whatever attacked that dog. Wow, that's some scary stuff.

And by "both sides" I presume you mean the "Tastes Great vs. Less Filling" conundrum. Too close to call.

from jjas wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Based on Remington's recent history with entry level rifles (the 710 and 770) one would hope they got the 783 "right"....

It's been a while since Remington has brought out anything that I would spend money on. The older stuff was of good quality. The "xpress" or "sportsman" moniker that they have on much of their goods these days translates (IMHO) to cheap, poor finished junk.

I guess we'll how the gun buying public responds with their wallets........

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

New York: Disgusted and heart broken. Poorly written bill filled with conflicts and violation of laws already on books. Passed by *progressive Democrats* although lacking nexus between result (murder of innocents) and so called "assault weapon". No rational basis for legislation in derogation of a heavy heavy heavy constitutional right to bear arms. I see a major presentation to the courts and especially to the SCOTUS.

BTW: Bunch of NY Gun retailers out of business. 80% of their semi-auto inventory is contraband. Can't sell it.

Sad.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I am in the market for a new rifle in .243 and this may just fill the bill. I have been looking at the Ruger American so how do they match up? Weatherby VG2 is out of sight price wise.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

tELL SOMEONE TO FIX THIS@%$%^#$&*()*^*()_() WEBSITE

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Sounds like an interesting future article in the making...a side-by-side-by-side comparison of the Ruger American, the Remington 783 and the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2...each in .243 caliber. Another question...what rifle would you choose for a youth's first deer rifle and why...with no restriction as to make, model or caliber.

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

The Outdoor Show at Harrisburg, Pa has announced that due to the recent events there will be no modern sporting rifle booths or accessories that go with them at the show this year. Looks like they caved in to the gun hating crowd. I think they forgot who spent their hard earned dollars at their show, it wasn't the people against the modern sporting rifles. My buddy said they were really taking heat on their web site for the move.

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

dave,
i feel you forgot to mention that michael doomberg had a huge amount of leverage in this transaction! he expressively commented that it won't matter how much it will cost him to get this agenda accomplished. the man is probably writing checks to every politician he was able convince that guns are bad. the only thing that doomberg, cuomo, and barack now have in common is that they need to be in their coffins before the sun rises.

from Jim in Mo wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

The tooling for the 700 is old. I hope it can be replaced with money from guns such as the 783 and continue the 700.

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Folks who shoot black rifles aren't the only ones who are going to be impacted by any legislation from the left. If you like having an sks or an AK variant, those are also on the specifically banned list along with nearly 120 other types of shooting weapons. As gun owners we need to preserve our 2A rights by writing our elected officials and ponying up cash to support those legislators and organizations that fight for our right to keep and bear arms. Make no mistake, voter apathy in any subsequent elections will have serious consequences in terms of our quickly diminishing gun rights. Hunters, sport shooters, and gun enthusiasts of all backgrounds need to come out and support one another by standing side by side because when the left bans one weapon type it emboldens them to go for more. Just look to NY, IL and CA to see what restrictive gun laws are about.

from NHshtr wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

The only proper response to the Harrisburg Outdoor Show barring modern sporting rifles is to "stay away in droves".

And heed HeidlebergJaeger's point that all gun owners need to join the fight against foolish gun laws, not just black gun owners and wannabes. If the bean-head lawmakers convince people that a semi-automatic rifle is dangerous, it won't be long before they will clamor for semi-auto pistols, and then...and then...

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

hey NHshtr
ny state has a ban right now on any semi automatic gun that is capable of holding ten rounds or more. this includes all handguns and even rifles like a ruger 10/22. thats how crazy these politicians are.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Cuomo is a weak little man with about as much integrity as his former in-laws the Kennedys.
The truth is his former in-laws KILLED,RAPED (the baby sitter) and MAIMED more human beings with golf clubs, cars and drownings than the entire NRA membership.THAT IS THE TRUTH OF IT.
But he didn't go after golf clubs, kid touchers, people who leave the scene of a death, drunk drivers, drug addicts who endanger or people who have spouses who commit suicide. Nope, he went after the LAW ABIDING....because criminals and Kennedys don't obey laws.
I guess Randy Andy just doesn't like real men who believe in the second amendment and Polo players.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Dear Stick 500, gun owners grow tired of you, Cuomo and Obama associating the legal and law abiding with the death of the little children in Newtown. Obama are far more responsable for what went down than us (I have zero responsability), because they FAILED to enforce the laws that were on the books in the first place. There is no blood on my hands. I didn't use the deaths of children for political points. I believe in enforcing the laws on the books.
Perhaps if Obama, Holder and Cuomo had been doing their job, perhaps their guilt ridden knee jerk wouldn't have been necessary.

from duke_ford wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

The new Remington 783 is seriously ugly. Why manufacturers persist on incorporating weird triggerguard and stock shapes is mystifying.

from Tenderfoot wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I'm a life long NY resident, residing in upstate in Northwest area, and now retired and am closing in to the age of 68, own a home, timbered land, who's paid taxes and raised a family. I am also a FL seasonal resident, who volunteers for the local county sheriff's office to help deter crime and help our community.

It's good to know that I will become a criminal now for just doing nothing if I don't relocate my preban (prior to 1994) 30 Round magazines for my Rugar 10/22 22LR rifles. If I happen to miscount the 22LR rounds in the "grandfathered" 10 round rotary 10/22 and have over seven in it, I will subject to a $250 fine, a misdemeanor, or both.

Fortunately, I can "register" my other SA rifle and shotgun with detachable mags and still keep them for awhile anyway.

Like many other NY residents, I am planning to become an ex-NY resident, for this, and many other reasons. King Andrew, and his court jester, Bloomberg, can then may finally figure out why they're running low on taxpayers.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

There ya' go, Tenderfoot! Vote with your feet and your wallet. You can't beat the masses in NYC at the ballot box. Same many other places, too.

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

783 doesnt come in enough calibers so I will stick with 700's since we have all common calibers now,

As for the NY I plan on making No purchases in NY, I will buy food, gas, ammo, guns, anything else I need from the PA border just so NY does not get my sales tax. Will also plan on moving after the national chaos of gun control blows over.

from semp wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

All this Bloomberg, Cuomo, Obama nonsense simply reflects the quality of our voters . If there be any useful Constitutional Amendments: my top choices would be 1) Congressional Term Limits ; 2) Some method of Qualifying Voters ; and 3) Elimination of the Electoral College .

Outlook ... grim ... just grim .

from jack1466 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Opinions,,I may not agree with what you say but will/would fight to to the death your right to say it.Its"funny"everything printed about the Newtown massacre is /has to be based on speculation since the alleged perpetrator died at the scene the,owner of the weapons was killed by one the weapons used at the scene,and yet all lawful gun owners are/will be penalized by this horrendous act of violence.Why aren't present gun laws being enforced?Its assumed the perpetrator of this latest act of violence stole the weapons belonging to his mother.It will never be known why this killing took place,so why not penalize lawful gun owners??Its a typical response in todays America,,if there is and forever will be an unknown,,then place the blame on others,just because they own a gun(s).Why not revise the"whole" of the American Judicial System??Think about"Fast and Furious"Hasn't this plan resulting in the death of one of our border guards,,thought to be devised to reek havoc on the 2nd amendment!!Just saying!!

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

To All: The fit and finish on the 783s that I saw is fair, no better, not nearly as good as the Vanguard 2 Generation. I shall try to get one to test, but the last time I asked Remington for a rifle it never arrived. We shall see.

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

People in NY state are reeling from this legislation, my understanding is that there is an appeal being organized by republican senators please join the NRA now and help fight these tyrant monarchists Andrew Cuomo and Barack Obama. Believe me, Cuomo is trying with ferver to get the Democratic party endorsement to take over for our tyrant Obama. Also, stop, drop everything and write/call/email/ your State Senator and Assemblymen and tell them you oppose this legislation at all levels. The only reason he did this was to try and launch his political career even further. If you're scared now, wait till this A$$hole is president!

from mdezort wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I'm glad the SHOT show is going well and would love to attend someday. I'd like to share a concern. It was my thought that all gun-lovers were in this fight together...hunters, competitive shooters, recreational shooters, NRA, gun manufacturers, ammo companies, gun dealers, et al. However, what I am witnessing and experiencing is gun dealers jacking up prices all in the name of supply and demand. If we're really in this together, we don't gouge each other when the opportunity presents itself. I urge all like minded folks to take notice of those who are gouging supposed "partners" in supporting 2nd amendment rights, and stop doing business with them now and in the future when the scare has passed and prices return to normal. If you can't deal fairly in bad times, you won't have my business in good times. For your consideration.

from Zermoid wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

They are hurriedly trying to patch up that stupid NY Law. Seems the dimwits forgot to exclude law enforcement from the law!

What a bunch of idiots.......

from Egg wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

semp: I would return to the days when the governor of the state appointed the Senators, and if they weren't doing their job, they were yanked out of office and replaced; verified ID to vote (after all, you need it to get handouts); if the Electoral College is to make any sense at all - proportion it like one or two states do - that is, only award the percentage of electoral votes based on the popular vote (and divide it into 10ths!) This Johnny take all is a pile of "bovine squat" (thank you Stormin' Norman).

from aldeureaux wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I do hope Remington got it right this time. They sure have put out some junk over the last few years. I have been diappointed in them. What happened to their QA? Anyway, for an entry rifle, I will stick with Stevens until this new rifle proves itself. Both my Stevens rifles are tack drivers. I got one on sale for under $200 and the other slightly over. Put on an inexpensive but sound scope and, WALA! They are ugly though, but great shooters.You sure don't need to worry about the elements or scratching them or the elements. Those can only improve their looks, ha! But, looks don't take the game.

from Tenderfoot wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

stick500,

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Sad.

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from NHshtr wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from semp wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Outlook ... grim ... just grim .

from jjas wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I guess we'll how the gun buying public responds with their wallets........

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

tELL SOMEONE TO FIX THIS@%$%^#$&*()*^*()_() WEBSITE

from Zermoid wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

What a bunch of idiots.......

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago