Is TrackingPoint's Precision Guided Firearm the Future of Long-Range Shooting?

The Gun Nuts

January 15, 2013

Is TrackingPoint's Precision Guided Firearm the Future of Long-Range Shooting?

By The Editors

This new shooting system from TrackingPoint takes fighter jet technology and applies it to long-range shooting. Here's how it works. First the shooter tags his target. Then the scope takes a ballistic formula accounting for distance, wind, elevation, temperature and a wide variety of other factors and tracks the target. The system only allows the shooter to fire when the reticle (or in this case an 'x') is in proper position to hit the target.

This system is being made for military, hunting, and target shooting applications. It's makers say it will cut years off the learning curve for long-range shooting.

from ENO wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Wow...that's some Crazy A.S.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Sorry but no thank you. I would rather do it with the smy very own skill and not some gizmo

from jmrcexplorer wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Glad the military will get this technology. I can do without it. There's not much point to target shooting if you never miss. As for hunting, I am actually thinking about going back to a traditional muzzleloader. Sometimes it's nice to keep things simple.

from scorp wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Sure give the nimrods something they can shoot from 1000 yards.Get rid of this garbage ,limit shooting to 200 yards and make hunters out of people in the field and not long ball clowns.

from huntenthusiest wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

The years saved practicing will be spent paying for this set-up.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Couldn't have said it better, scorp.

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

It will have Military applications for sure. BUT...it needs a battery which tends to die when you need it. Also, a burst of EMP will take out the entire system. At the end of the day a person that knows how to use a regular rifle and scope still rules.

MG

from Shootstir wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Another over-priced (and probably very fragile) gadget that does nothing for marksmanship in the field, but caters to the video gaming crowd. I bet it even needs to be fed expensive batteries that have to be ordered on-line.

No thanks. Like someone else said, if there is no room for error now and then, where is the challenge of the hunt?

from twisaacs wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

If you make a gun that eliminates errors in - Aim, Trigger pull, Environmental inputs, Range miscalculation then you might as well stay home and play video games... there are apps on your phone to do that. Please leave the wild-game for real sportsmen to enjoy. Nothing wrong with the gun but don't include and advertise it in the hunting community, give the animals and us hunters some respect.

from mike0714 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

This will be great for military and handicap hunters who have a hard time holding or can't a gun still. Other than that there is no reason for people to really have one outside of the range in my opinion. It is cool thought.

On another note Scorp and Honker long range shooting is apart of hunting. I can and have shot animals out to 600yards. Don't get me wrong I would love 200 yard shots all day but they just don't come by to often in western hunting. I have had deer and other game bust me at 10 yards to 1000 yards. Part of the skill in hunting is knowing your weapon, its limits, and your limits to make a ethical, clean kill. I like many of the people I hunt with have practiced for years to achieve a skill level in which I use when hunting. There are many ways to hunt just because it might not be the way you do it does not make it any less challenging.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

no thanks

from knappster56 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

There's no place for this kind of technology in hunting. If there was, they'd call it killing.

from scorp wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I am sorry Mike,but if you can't get closer then 600 yards then you aren't much of a hunter.300 yards should be max range at most.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from mike0714 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

scorp after my 600 yard shot I had to move 1400 vertical feet and rappel over 100 feet down a scree field. It took me 4 1/2 hr just to reach my deer. I would love to know how you would have made the stalk. Considering I was shooting across a canyon from a finger nearest to the deer. There was no way to get closer without spooking the deer.
The deer did not move out of his bed when I shot. And where do u get off saying I'm not much of a hunter. All I did was disagree with your point. I would love to know the kind of hunting situations you go through in a day out in the field?

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

There in lies the real danger of Video Games. Sure MAYBE in a life and death situation. But it goes along the lines of give them a calculator and they will never learn math.

from scorp wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

If you can't get closer then 600 yards abandon the shot.Too many variables come into play especially shooting across a canyon. I am glad you made the shot and went through all the effort to recover your animal.I just wonder if you would have made the effort to go look for it had it not fallen in its tracks.what if it had disappeared after the shot.Would you have gone over to look for evidence of a hit or just assumed a miss.I am sorry Mike I have found too many deer that were wasted from long range shots and can not condone long range shooting.Maybe you might go the extra mile and are good at what you do but there are too many that don't.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Again, Scorp, I couldn't have said it better. I have run into the same thing too. I learned my lesson about Hail Mary shots the hard way. Back in 1982 I hit a bull elk at 300+ yards straight downhill. At least I thought I hit it. After tracking a bit (no snow) I noticed it was making a helluva mess and leaving a much more pronounced track than it should have. Then I noticed it went around any deadfall instead of jumping over it. There was a reason for that. Finally I saw a spot of blood. I tracked that thing through gawdawful spruce bottoms and around three waterfalls before catching up to him on the edge of a fourth one. Oh yeah, I killed it alright. Also damned near killed my brother and one of my best horses getting it out of that hell hole. We wound up spending the night up there in a torrential downpour with no food and my brother being a diabetic (but that's not what nearly got him). Never again did I try a stunt like that! A less knowledgeable, physically fit, and/or determined hunter (which is just about everybody in the field!) would have lost that elk. Hell, they would never have even known they hit it!

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Good grief Honker, you are a legend, aren't you?

from Alan Meyers wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

"It's makers say it will cut years off the learning curve for long-range shooting"

I say skill trumps equipment any day. That learning curve also creates a great appreciation for the acquired skill. But that's just my opinion.

from Rgw3 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I am happy to hear there are so many purists here who never stoop to all that new fangled technology. I am glad to hear about all of those iron sight using, no blind sitting, and walking only hunters.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Amflyer, my brother and I worked the same shift together at the plant. When we showed up two days late for work the boss met us at the door and just looked at me and said "Was it a big one?" Thirteen elk in thirteen years before I moved away. By the way, nice dog in your photos.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Rgw3: Yes, and most of us "purists" use old trucks for hunting instead of stealth spy planes and we shoot our animals with actual hunting rifles not Klingon smart bombs.

from jmrcexplorer wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from mike0714 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from twisaacs wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

MG

from knappster56 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Good grief Honker, you are a legend, aren't you?

from ENO wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Wow...that's some Crazy A.S.

from scorp wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

from huntenthusiest wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

The years saved practicing will be spent paying for this set-up.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Couldn't have said it better, scorp.

from Shootstir wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago