Gun Sales: Is The Freak Out Over?

The Gun Nuts

February 27, 2013

Gun Sales: Is The Freak Out Over?

By Phil Bourjaily

I walked into my local sporting goods store yesterday to see three consignment ARs and a whole tower* of Mosin Nagants in the used rifle rack. All of them had been there last week, too, except five or six of the most attractive Mosins that had been culled from the tower. The handgun case was fuller than it had been in months, and it contained several 1911s, a couple of Beretta 92s and quite a few other pistols I hadn’t seen in a while.

Three or four weeks ago the whole collection would have been wiped out in a day by desperate gun buyers. Meanwhile over on the ammo shelf the .223, the 9mm and several other calibers remain completely cleaned out.

I asked the kid at the counter what it meant.

“Our reps say the freak out is over,” he said, referring to the panic buying of recent months. “Now the ammo makers have to catch up.”

That’s good to hear. But, I also keep hearing stories of ammo shipments bought up the instant they hit the shelves and of people ordering enormous amounts of guns and ammo.  One source in the ammo industry told me: “Guys who usually order 6,000 primers are ordering 60,000. Then they wonder why there’s a shortage.”

Based on that anecdotal evidence I’m guessing the gun buying frenzy has peaked, although I also wouldn’t be surprised if renewed gun control debate doesn’t reignite it. What are you seeing where you live?

Some day  the gun and ammo market will return to normal.  Several  months after that there will be great deals on used AR 15s as people who rushed out to buy them find out how much it costs to shoot one.

*A “tower” is the term for a group of giraffes. It seems appropriate to apply it to Mosins, too.  Mosins have barrels like giraffes have necks. Both look awkward as a result.

from fisherking1999 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I haven't checked lately, but 2 weeks ago the .223 and .22 bullet shelves were bare and no AR-15's available. I just wanted some bullets for small game hunting that ends here thursday. I guess I'll just have to fish now....unless there's a buying frenzy on fishing line, reels and tackle.

from Harold wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

In my town in Wyoming it seems stocks of firearms and ammo is on the upswing. I think some people bought many AR-type rifles for speculation purposes. If the manufacture/importation of "assult rifles" isn't prohibited then I do think you'll see a bunch of "used" rifles on sale.

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I am starting to see more ammo on the shelves of local sporting goods stores. The supplies are not where they once were. A local shop owner said the same thing about now the ammo industry is trying to catch back up.

from martph01 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Just bought a new .22 savage mkii. I've been saving for a while, and my purchase was unrelated to the hysteria about gun control. Had to pay $20 bucks for the last 200 rounds of crummy .22lr in the North east part of the state. I've been to every store around. No .22lr. It's pissing me off.

from dbenear1985 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

It is rediculous here in Kansas. There has been three gun shows the past three weekends and ARs are going for $2000 a piece, bricks of 22(500rds) are going for $75 to $100 dollar a piece. All the stores are out of ammo and dont know when they will be getting any in. The gun shows were so busy you felt like you were a sardine. The panic is not over here. Ammo has become the next best thing to gold and oil. Thanks Obama voters for taking shooting, one of the great joys for my family, and making it almost impossible to afford the ammo to be able to do it. That is if you can find ammo to buy.

from the Preacher wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I was just wondering when this question would be asked. I was debating whether or not to take my son 3 hours to check the cabelas. As the lacey store has stopped sending phone calls to the gun counter. The only way to check is to walk in the door. I guess I will be leaving soon.

Ammo will likely be a while longer. There were so many new ar owners who still havent been able to fire much because of no ammo. Stock piling has become fashionable. Used prices seem to be going down a little.

The hardware store where I steelhead has had great ammo selection this whole time, as they are on the far side of the continent and they have always had a 2 box limit. I have continued to stock up on great 22lr ammo through this whole thing.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Many of the stores that do have ammo are limiting the amount to 100 rounds handgun and rifle and your dreaming if you think you can find a brick of 22lr. Also some of the big box stores like Gander have increased their prices to match MSRP which will hurt them in the future when they realize they pi$$ed off a bunch of previous customers. From what I'm hearing and seeing Gander went the way of the cons on Gunlistings and Craigslist. I found a great deal on 9mm ammo and was able to secure 1000 rounds for play, something you can't do buying from the stores right now.

We can thank the dems and BO for stimulating the economy more precisely the gun community. Can you say backfire!

from jjas wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

The guns seem to be coming back in....the ammo...not so much.

.22lr is scarce around here. I can find 9mm and even .223 ammo but .22s.....nope.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Last week, my local gun shop was only selling popular ammo with a firearms purchase. Buy a gun, you get to buy ONE box of ammo. All of the handguns in his case, except for a few he had just gotten in, had SOLD tags.

I commented that wow, business must be good! He said no, I can't get anything to sell. Interesting point of view.

Since I couldn't get what I wanted there, I went to Gander Mountain the next day just before lunch to pick up a new 30-06. While waiting, out of the corner of my eye I noticed about 15 or so 9mm 50 packs and some bulk boxes. They were cleaned out immediately. I paid $15/box for Blazer FMJs. The only time I have been caught up in this whole drama...

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Starting to see signs of things returning to normal on my end. I was actually right when I predicted BHO and Congress would be there usual underachieving selves with regards to any kind of gun control. The only thing that has happened as far as gun control is the states that were already hostile to gun owners have gotten worse, and the ones who were friendly have gotten friendlier.

My local store was a true madhouse for 3 months straight. When I talk to the manager now he tells me they get 6-8 AR-15's shipped in to them a day. They don't last long, but they are being shipped and they do make it to the shelves.

from LWarren wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I really dont get the 22lr craze. You would have to shoot a zombie like 500 times to stop him... I didnt buy into the early craze and watched my local gun store sell out of 5.56 and now if you can even get them they cost $700.

from JamesD wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

The shelves and racks are still bare here as everything seems to be on back order. It sort of reminds me of the 70's when there seemed to be a shortage on everything from gas to coffee and toilet paper. Back then people got into that stockpile mode whenever it came on the news that there would be a shortage of something. The silver lining in this cloud is that U.S. firearms and ammunition manufacturer employees are probably getting lots of overtime and maybe even hiring new employees to keep up with the demand which is good for them and their families.

from HogBlog wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Just passed through one our local gun shops yesterday. They did have two new (consignment) ARs. Both were previously sold, but the buyers bailed out and the guns became available again. New ARs are still out of the question, with no reliable estimation of how long to get stock.

The handgun shelf is still empty, with the exception of the high-end 1911s which were already too expensive for folks around here before the madness started. Those guns will go to rich oil guys, or lawyers from Houston... but they'll go slowly.

Ammo. I guess they got their shipment yesterday, which accounts for the fact that there were still a handful of boxes on the counter. Of course, there was a relative crowd in the store waiting to buy that ammo, so I expect it's gone by now.

The madness may have peaked, but we've got a lot of catching up to do. That's going to be challenged by the folks who got stuck during the shortage, as they'll be buying up everything they can get as soon as it's available, creating a backlog and slowing delivery to the retail shops.

We've a ways to go yet down here.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Ammo is sure going to be cheap for years to come! Think of all those crazy guys who bought tens of thousands of rounds they won't be able to shoot up in ten years. That's ten years they won't be buying ammo. Gun show vendors will be trying to unload .223 ammo at bargain basement prices for decades to come. Sad to think that so many kids are going to grow up in modest circumstances only to later ask their dads "What is with that roomful of ammo downstairs?" "Oh, that damned Obama! It's his fault. He made me do it." Hmmmm. Okaaay ...

from Harold wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

A comment on JamesD's remarks: I doubt that the gun makers will be hiring very many new people. They have no indication where this whole thing may go. Manufacturing of ARs may be banned or even if they aren't, the market will be saturated and they'd just have to lay off the new hires.

from abiddle013 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

From what I've seen, KY is still in the freak out phase. Ammo and reloading supplies are non-existent in the shops I frequent. Also, guns (of the semi-auto variety mainly) are few and far between. I now buy ammo (only in calibers I own) whenever I see it just to keep from losing the chance when I need it. I've been interested in buying and AR-15, but want one to keep. I had the option of buying a Colt the other day and if I were interested in reselling I would've bought it. However, I refuse to add to the crowd of people buying and reselling on auction sites. While I see the opportunity there, it doesn't sit right with me morally.

from abiddle013 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Another thing I've noticed, and something that really doesn't seem right to me, is reputible gun dealers pulling certain products from the shelves to sell on auction sites for a much higher profit.

from Douglas wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

In reference to a group of giraffes being termed a "tower", a group of baboons is known as a "congress".

No end yet to the frenzy here in northern ny. Can't find a box of .22 shells anywhere.

from MReeder wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Here in San Antonio 9mm and .223 ammo is still almost non-existent on store shelves. I was in Academy about a week ago looking to see if they might have any 120 gr. 7mm-08 Federal Fusion for my wife's rifle(they didn't, but that's not unusual; I normally have to order it online)and there wasn't a box of 9mm or .223 to be found. For some reason .22 rimfire seems to also be flying off the shelves. Didn't check out the gun rack, but I had been in Walmart about a week before and heard the clerk talking to a guy who wanted to buy an AR-15, and she told him he'd have to get in line behind about a dozen other people. My daughter recently got her CCL and she's having a helluva time finding 9mm for her Kahr CM9; in fact she told me that's what she wants for her birthday. So it doesn't look like there's any slowdown on sales in my neck of the woods.
Question for DEP -- do you think that sales might be down in your state because of the law Cuomo rammed through? (Not that illegal sales of any arms will be abated).
General question for NYC dwellers. What is wrong with you people? You have a mayor who thinks he has the inherent power to tell you what to eat, what to drink, how to season your food and what size drink to order with your pizza; not to mention how you should choose to protect yourself. If that's not the essence of totalitarianism -- meddling in every single aspect of your life and mandating even the most private aspects of your behavior -- then I don't know what is. If any politician tried that stunt down here the peasant masses would me marching on Gracie Mansion with burning torches.

from Steward wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Well...I will wait to buy one the used ones, then. I figure most of the buying frenzy was people like me, who finally coughed up the money they need to buy what they have wanted for a long time. Most people can't afford to buy guns indiscriminately. Ammo is another issue. Hopefully, the tyrannical politicians will get put in their places soon. After that, I think the ammo frenzy will cool and normal supply lines will get back into place.

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I was able to by the last box of .25 cal about 3 weeks ago. Not much else on the shelf

from Shellcracker wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

The problem is all these millionaire doomsday preppers are wiping out anything that hits the shelves. Instead of 100 people getting to buy 2 boxes apiece for practice for a couple month period you have 1 person going in an buying 200 boxes. The guy at my local store said he got 20 boxes of fiochi .45 acp and one guy bought them all and the same guy told them he had basically jumped online and spent a few thousand on whatever he could find. Therefore, hundreds of us have to sit idle while one dude has a closet full of lead.

from oakwood phantom wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

And we haven't even got started yet. Just wait until the federal laws start coming down in ernest.....Rocks for slingshots will be going for 10 bux each.

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

@Shellcracker- I blame the retailer on this one, I've been in the business of selling goods and services for a long time, and during "crisis" conditions(hurricanes, floods,etc) you,"the seller" have an obligation to you customers to limit quantities sold. I fear until the ammo makes catch up, the folks running gun ranges will suffer, as well as their customers, hard to practice with out ammo. My wife likes to go to the range about once a week and shoot .22lr rifles and pistols, now we can't.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Not around this neck of the woods(NE OHIO) Most gunshops, department stores and evferywhere in between are still out of just about all rifle and pistol ammo. reloading products are mostly gone too. as for the guns themselves well you may have to travel from store to store and then you may just find what you are looking for. one of the local shops has been closed all winter because the family heads to arizona and I wll be there at 9 AM when they reopen. this gun frezy will eventually pass but not any time soon. Now we are going to have to contend with all of the good citizens of the USA that went out and bought themselves a gun but do not have a clue as to what it is for Now would be a very good time to set up a firearm training program if one was so inclined to make a couple of million dollars

from tygh98 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

It seems like finding .22lr has been hit and miss for the last few years with a huge jump in price. The craziness is just hitting at a horrible time. Luckily I bought a few thousand rounds in November. Just wish I would have finally committed to an AR at the same time.

from SMC1986 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

MD is still in freak out mode and you can't find much of anything in the way of ammo. People are scooping up everything that comes into the stores and reloading supplies like primers are non-existent.

from Proverbs wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Still can't find .45ACP, 9 mm or .223 around Phoenix. There are, however, plenty of people desperately trying to sell multiple AR-15s for $2,200 and up. That was one hot peak, but it flew by quickly.

I expect to be finding some real deals on firearms in the coming months. When the ammo rebounds, it will probably go on sale too, unless there's more crazy stuff happening, or the Middle East starts dancing.

from Ratt wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

North Louisi-Yana here, no guns and no ammo at any Dept. Store. One Gun Show in Tyler, Texas had a couple of AR's and AK's, both over $2000 and $50 bucks for a box of 30-30's, he had no 6.75mm's, .223's, or even .22's or .45 Long Colts. Of course, most folks heya did not vote for Obama, so he is scary the H.E. double L out of them, especially with all the Gov't Dept.'s buying up 'assault rifles' and ammo.

from Jim D wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

In Wi it seems as everything worth owning in 9mm is out of stock. The compact little .380s also are in short supply.

Far as ammo, similar to others above, it can be had at premium prices some days, gone as soon as it hits the shelves. Lucky I was prepared for this, at least .22 wise so I don't get complete withdrawal. I ration the rest very carefully.

from ITHACASXS wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

What I'd really like to know is how many fine old classic shotguns are out there now because they were traded for an AR type.

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Nothing much available here in Northern Michigan. Only some shotgun shells and expensive rifle hunting ammo such as 30-06, 270, 243. Zero .22LR.

It's not a problem for me as I have always believed in having a stock on hand. Over 8K of .22's, also primers, powder, bullets, lead, brass, etc. I won't need to restock for some time. I'm not hording, I have used this stuff all my life. This is just my normal supply which is replaced as used. Guns I have, I don't need to buy any.

Once the panic is over, I'll slowly replace what I have used and be ready for next time.

MG

from AAM wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I'v noticed that ammo isn't flying off the shelves and gun sales have stabilized.

from mike55 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I didn't realize there was another ammo shortage(shades of four years ago, seems to be a pattern here). I don't shoot much any more but like to keep up on the shooting sports. I was shocked about a month ago when I read that someone couldn't find .22lr ammo. That like never happened before in the history of the world!! So I called around and sure nuf I couldn't find any. About three weeks ago I was in our local Fleet Farm in east central WI, went to the gun dept and talked with the employees on the shortage. It started back in Dec. Their take on it was that the guys with the AR .22lr conversions are burning up alot of .22 ammo. Don't know if that's the whole reason. If there is ever a total lead ban, .22 ammo is going to go through the roof price wise and another run on it inevitable.

My son and his new girl friend, who never shot before, in a few days burned up a whole brick of .22 ammo at camp last summer. I wasn't there and was surprised when he told me they shot up a whole brick of .22 ammo with just our bolt action rifle. We never shot that many rounds with the rifle and .22 autoloader pistol combined. I thought, "Is there a better way to introduce someone to the shooting sports than with a .22 rifle with a scope, on a short range with reactive targets or empty pop cans." I can't think of any. A .22 rifle doesn't kick at all, is fairly quiet unlike the pistol, and the ammo is fairly cheap. I usually keep a brick on hand so the next time I was in Fleet Farm I picked one up for 17 or 18 bucks on sale. I was glad a did when I heard about the .22 ammo shortage. It didn't seem like it was that long ago a brick was going for 5 or 6 bucks on sale or is my memory getting that bad??

I asked the employees when was the last time they had any .22 ammo in? Two weeks before they had a case of smaller 50 or 100 round boxes, and over a month for any bricks. They said I can keep calling to see if they get any in. About the third time I called I hit the jackpot. They got in a case each of bricks in Rem. and Win. .22's. There was one brick of Rem.left. They were cheaper than the Win. bricks of which there were several left. I couldn't get there right away, they were nice enough to hold a brick of each for me. The Rem. brick was $18.00 and the Win. brick was $21.80. I don't think they inflated the prices because of the shortage. When I did get there I was pleasantly surprised they still had a couple of bricks of the Win .22's left. There was a four box limit of any single caliber so I scarfed up two more bricks of the Win ammo and was glad to get it at $21.80 a box. I never thought of giving ammo as a present before this, but I did this time. Who would ever thought that giving .22 ammo would be special?? My best friend and sister have birthdays close together, so here was a chance to give them something special at a combined birthday party. I told my friend what his present was ahead of time, but my sister didn't know. I handed it to her and her hand dropped. She said,"What is in here that could be so heavy, did you get me gold or silver coins", was the next question. I gave her a hint, "Maybe they're lead." She handed it to another friend and her hand hit the couch. It was passed around some more with the same typical hand drop. Nobody could guess what it was. Then she opened it and was surprised it was .22 ammo. Upon hearing of the ammo shortage, they were both glad and thankful to have been given some!

Fleet Farm had several different types of .380ACP in stock, two of .38 Spec. and not much else in the common pistol calibers. They had a fair number of handguns available though, don't think the ones that were there were just display models because there were some empty slots on the racks and a younger fella was filling out paper work for a .40 S&W when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

from Shellcracker wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I better go get a slingshot before the prices inflate

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I was just watching the CBS News (To see what the Left is up to). Sen. Dianne Feinstein was at a hearing on new gun control proposals. She said, "This is what we need to ban." A video of a full auto M-16 was then shown being fired. You can see the lies we are up against. They will say anything to get what they want. Hang the truth. Well, no surprise with that bunch!

This isn't over.

MG

from MidnightBanjo wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Here in Oklahoma, lease around Tulsa anyway, ammo shelves are still basically empty. I haven't checked out the gun counters, but then again, I'm not looking for anything new.

from Safado wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

MichiganGunner,
I'm with you, I keep on hand a good supply of reloading components, cases, powder, primers and bullets and plan to replace what I have used when the "crisis" is over. I don't consider that hoarding because I use my supplies but make sure I never get too low.
I shared it somewhere else on this site but last week they were holding a lottery in the local gun store to buy four ARs. There were over 60 people with tickets in the lottery. This was in Southern California. I have not noticed the ammo problem others have commented on and I have checked even though I shoot mostly reloads.

from chuckles wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Things are calming down in MN. There are a few AR's on the shelves and the stores are keeping some .223 and handgun ammo on the shelves. Quantities and variety are still somewhat restricted.
Gander Mountain is claiming they are not raising their prices but they were already 10-15% over the rest of the pack so that's not much of a brag.

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

As for guns in Northern Michigan, there are not any AR's, AK's, Glocks, Smith's, HK's, Magazines, nothing!
It is a lot worse than last time.

MG

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Looks like all the gunhands are still freaking in northern Wyoming and southern Montana. Nothing worth having anywhere I have looked.

from sd211mba wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Here in NM it is still crazy. The only ammo available is HMR17, shotshells for some handgun calibers and sometimes rare rifle calibers. Even for 12Ga hard to find buckshot or slugs. At local Sportsman's warehouse, all ammo is gone in 30 min after delivery, and that is with limit 1 box/caliber! Handgun racks are basically empty, maybe 5-6 revolvers where about 50 guns used to be. I think people start forgetting what AR-15 means, few people have seen one lately in a store.

from jbird wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I believe it has calmed down in my neck of Mo. AR's have dropped $400-$500 since last month, and 2 weeks ago I bought some mags for mine, then had the store manager drop the price on 1000 rd. cans of .223 ammo $100 on the spot. I don't think the craze is over, though. Just a lull in the action.

from the Preacher wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

After a trip the the local cabelas. I am happy to report that they had 9! new semi autos for sale even by mid day. They were getting guns this whole time but "investors" were purchasing them within 30 minutes of opening and stocking or selling them. I saw a few models that are popular on Armslist.com right now. There was some good ammo selection. though of course no .223 or .22lr. Glad I got a few bricks two weeks ago at my secret spot.

Stuff is selling but the used market is going to be really fun soon.

from jonesy43 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

illinois the same nothing anywhere have called family in other states and they say the same thing guess i will stock up on arrows thats prob next

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Lots of .380 and .41 Rem Mag on the shelves along with .32 ACP and high dollar .357 Mag. Plenty of Weatherby ammo! LOL

from woodrat wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

With a little bit of luck, and a lot of looking, I've been able to occasionally pick up a few bricks or bulk boxes of 22 at a reasonable price here and there. And all of a sudden, my local sporting goods store has primers again, at a reasonable price, even, they just have a 200/day limit.

Still not seeing any ARs or 10/22s even, on the racks again yet.

from flytierodwrap wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Northern Michigan is still suffering from shortages, primarily of common auto pistol calibers,.22 LR and .223. Swung by Dunhams a week or two ago and did find some bulk pack .22LR. Almost all stores up here are going to one box of ammo per day, one can of powder, and one box of primers. Very difficult to find .223 brass. You can find .224 varmint bullets, but almost nothing in the 50-60 grn range of softpoint. Jays, one of the largest sporting goods in our region, had no black rifles in stock. Semiauto pistol shelves were 70 percent empty. Limit of 4 on magazine purchases, if they even had your magazine in stock. Magazines are being displayed behind the counter now. Jays hired 5 extra people to help with the sheer volume of traffic they are getting, and the sales people looked like zombies. I can see gun purchases slowing a little soon, or perhaps shifting to pump and semiauto shotguns. Ammo and reloading supplies could go on for a VERY long time-a gun without ammo is nothing more than a very expensive club. If DHS hadn't bought up an assorted 1.6 billion rounds, we would probably be OK at this point. Be ready for a long spring and summer on the ammo front!

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I was out in one of our local gunshops yesterday and saw 2 very tricked out ruger 10\22s. I think they came from the factory that way and with a few high capacity mags would satify some people and they could say they now have an ASSAULT WEAPON. I think .22 ammo sold out because it has been the most fired round in the USA and fits a wide variety of guns.

from dasmith wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Now that states are also passing new laws, its not over. So the buying will continue, especially the high cap. mags. AR15 and AK's will also continue to be the Most Wanted. Another big item is .22 handguns and .22 ammo.

from hutter wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Illinois is finally getting CCW and look what happened. Can't get the ammo to hone my skills .

from soxfan1234 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

In central MS, there is not much ammo to be found. There were some astronomically high prices for AR lowers at the most recent gun show too. Here's hoping it all calms down soon.

from MICHMAN wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Yes there was a scare 4 yrs ago but this time BHO isn't concerned about being re-elected so I believe that he will now charge full steam ahead to enact as much legislation as he can to further restrict our freedoms concerning gun ownership. So no, I don't think that the "freak out" is over.

In this blog you mention the stock piliing of ammunition. A future blog could discuss the "shelf-life" of ammo and the best methods for storage. Or discuss how the "scare" is affecting the sporting community. I bought a new coyote rifle this year and I imagine that a lot of others have done so to. People who bought 223 rifles probably can NOT HUNT due to the fact that there is no ammo available!

from Zermoid wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Haven't checked lately either, but a few weeks ago my son got a Beretta 92s and managed to come up with 1000 rds of ammo between the gun store and WalMart.

from firedog11 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

ars are not available in Northern Va as of 2/22 unless you are willing to part with 1800$ if you can find one. Did find a can of 5.56 420 rounds for 240$ which was reasonable considering what it had been going for. In today's paper " Washington Examiner" MD. state dem leaders predicted they will pass a bill within the next week banning the ownership/possession of all assault rifles, all clips exceeding ten rounds and all gun buyers will be fingerprinted prior to buying a gun. They also announced a bill to allow illegal aliens to get a drivers lic in Md. sheesh

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I have been buying all the 8-arrow quivers I can find for my bow. I am sure someday someone will ask why I need 8 arrows.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Yawn, I am with OH, gonna be easy to buy ammo for awhile after this, its going to be hysterical, but at least people are definitely pumping some money into the economy right?

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from nc30-06 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Not in the area of NC I am in. No .22,357, .38, .44, .45, .40, or .223 on the shelves.

from hal herring wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

The freak out is not over in Montana. Empty shelves in the AR racks, not even any .22 ammo to go shoot gophers. I found it interesting to note what was left on the ammo shelves. If you shoot the .41 Mag, you can still get a box or two.

Rather than join the freek-out, I think I'll just embrace the joy of reloading. It's an idea that is past due anyway-

from the Preacher wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Buck hunter.

Dont you know that 8 arrow quivers are for the theatre of War? They have no place on our streets. Your out arrowing our police forces!

from keen one wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I don't think the "Freak Out" is over, but the feeding frenzy has died down. Once manufacturing catches up on the supply side the demand will be fed and the prices will come back to normal...whatever normal is. I remember before the Mesopotmaian visits .223 was ten cents per round. With the metals market what it is the cost of ammo will likely never be what it was then. But a buck a round for .223 white box is not reasonable.

I also suspect that Uncle Obama and Co. will realize that they can't do all their "sensible gun control" (implied that we're un resonable if we don't agree with them)so taxing, or driving the cost of ammuntion ever higher is the next means of control.

I know we're supposedly a free market but when Homeland Security orders several million rounds for their use is not supplied to we surf's.

from ejunk wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

sounds like credit card statements have started showing up.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

@ hal herring,

Why wouldn't one shoot a .41 Rem Mag?

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Here you still can't find parking and one store has a Deli style pull a ticket.
If there is a lull, my guess it is because some folks got tired of waiting for the supply to catch up.

from coosabass2012 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Last weekend, 2-23 and 2-24, I checked in a 6 different stores in Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois (road trip)... there was not a .22 anything (except the little shotshells) or .223 anything visible at all. Shotgun shells are plentiful and I did find one box of .30-30 at a reasonable price. Come on ammo guys, get it together!

from WAYNE FOLEY wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Here in the liberal stronghold of No Virginia same shortages. We used to have one major gun show a year now about every other weekend and packed!.

My observation at the last several shows is that there were a lot of folks there buying guns that did not have a clue what they were doing. From the questions I heard they clearly had no training but would walk out loaded for bear. I have 3 gun savvy sons but they and their friends spend a lot of time playing the shot-um-up videos even though they are 30+. Is this the only firearms training the other young folks get? We are only going to get more needless injuries, deaths and regulations if we responsible gun owners do not encourage new gun owners to get training and also learn how to properly secure guns and/or ammunition. If we do not the anti-gun folks will just have more tragic examples to try and take our arms.

We should also try and show new gun owners that there is more to gun ownership than shooting bad guys. Perhaps local government agencies, gun clubs and ranges could have open houses to show folks the joy of target shooting, skeet, trap etc.

Along with the 2nd amendment right to own firearms comes the responsibility to store, handle and use them responsibly.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I sure don't begrudge the gun dealers who pull the hot items off their shelves to auction off on line. They are looking at some lean times down the road once this freak out is over and the market is glutted. They want to get some money in the bank now. Can't blame them for that.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from the Preacher wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Just got back from my steel heading grounds at the far end of the world and they STILL have 22lr. Got my limit on both days. If I didnt begrudge the price gouging so much I would be tempted to start selling the stuff at high prices. If it keeps up I will start giving it away as gifts. They ad stocked shelves of the usual stuff too.

I think that the firearms will start to be available again soon as the used market will come down in price and the manufacturers will catch up. I also dont think the ban will go through so all will be as it used to be.

However the ammo situation should probably go on a bit longer, as people who have been without will begin stock piling more as to never go through this again. probably prices will go up a bit, but really, how much more buying power does this industry have?

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

No bullets at Wal-Mart. Just a few shotgun shells. The guy laughed and said nobody else had any either.

I will have to go to Bass Pro just to see if the end of the world really is here and nobody was paying attention. Wake up, our ammo supply lines have been cut off!

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I don't understand why there was a Freak Out in the first place. During the election the Obama and the Democrats assured us he wasn't after our guns.
So I guess none of this is really happening....something dreamt up by Fox. There are no bills pending, no attempts to disarm of regulate, no shortages and certainly no intent by the Democrats or Obama to vote against the law abiding Sportsmen of this country while the bangers, convicted felons and madmen continue to be pampered by them at out expense.....nope..no freal out here. ;)

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

My local WalMart store has just a few boxes of pistol ammo on the shelves: .32 Auto and .25 Auto only.

from Greg Hart wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Here in the Memphis, TN area There is very little ammo to be had, but I can't speak for gun availability. Powder and primers are scarce as well.
I was pricing Mosin-Nagants online this morning and I noticed the prices have increased a fair bit, and some places didn't have any available. Ammo for these is spotty as well.

from hal herring wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

WAM- nothing at all against the .41 Rem. Mag. I've shot 'em and liked 'em. But that is what was just about the only box of ammo left on the ammo shelf, so I figure that there are not too many .41 fans in the area. Or else they are already reloaders.

from W. Mathew Drumm wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

What I personally find most distressing is manufacturers and sellers of of Military-style rifles, parts/accessories and ammunition acting like the managers of a local gas station in the evacuation zone of a coming hurricane. They intentionally inflate their prices to obscene levels to exploit the hysteria, thus adding to the sense of desperation and outrage as scared shooters pay it to get what they think they won't have acces to in the future. Need proof? check out the listings for AR upper receivers, barrels, etc. or ammunition on auction sights such as gunbroker, gunauction, etc. compared to the asking price only 6 months ago. I'm not even going to mention what a complete rifle is going for these days. There was one particularly unscrupulous seller on gunbroker out of Las Vegas who was asking a 4-digit price for a barrelled upper they didn't even possess! They were only selling the guarantee that once they procurred it from the manufacturer that it would be shipped to the winning bidder. I promptly reported them to the administrators as that is a huge no-no.
We as responsible gun owners AND buyers need to understand that the surest way of nipping this nonsense in the bud starts with us. Hit these jerks where it hurts them most, in their bottom line by not buying into the hysteria, and by proxy demand a market whose prices are driven by the true costs of manufacture and not by hysteria and shameless greed. Not everyone in the firearms business is a saint, I get that. That doesn't mean we can't enforce some economic natural selection on the market by keeping our wallets closed.

from W. Mathew Drumm wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

from dcavan45@msn.com wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

I live in Arizona and as most of you know we are one of the most gun loving states out there. Even though, pretty much everything is legal here, even Concealed Carry without a CCW. You will notice that our firearms murder rate is one of the lowest in the U.S. Lately there have been a series of ads that are being sponsored by the Libs and Michael Bloomberg-"Mayors Against Illegal Guns". In AZ they are coming out against one of our local politicians-Jeff Flake, and trying to make him look like he is something he is not. I am sure these ads are coming out against Conservative politicians all across the country. They are very cleverly disguising these statements. If I didn't look the sponsors up, I wouldn't know any better. Reasonably priced .22LR here is nonexistent($100.00 + for 500 rds), .223 almost extinct (.60-.80 per rnd), .308 (1.00-1.35 per rnd), 9mm (.45-.50 per rnd), .45ACP (.50-.85 per rnd). I started buying things the day after the Election, so was able to buy at some decent prices. Dillon Precision is backordered 6-8 weeks on their reloading presses. Even though there are no bullets, cases or primers available

from tacdriver84 wrote 1 year 5 days ago

Last Friday , here in southern Minnesota . I notice 45 was in stock at most shops and a good selection of 40sw. The 45 was about $6 higher a box than last summer . The real gun shops don't have a ammo limit but the outdoor stores is limited and their supply sux. Reloading supplies are harder to find then before like the vmax bullets , barely any 223 ammo or .224 bullets to be seen.

from MReeder wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Proverbs wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from ITHACASXS wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from MICHMAN wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from martph01 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from the Preacher wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

We've a ways to go yet down here.

from abiddle013 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from oakwood phantom wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from tygh98 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from SMC1986 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Ratt wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Jim D wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

MG

from AAM wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from mike55 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Harold wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

The guns seem to be coming back in....the ammo...not so much.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Harold wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Shellcracker wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I better go get a slingshot before the prices inflate

from MidnightBanjo wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from chuckles wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

It is a lot worse than last time.

MG

from jbird wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from the Preacher wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Stuff is selling but the used market is going to be really fun soon.

from firedog11 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from the Preacher wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Buck hunter.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Here you still can't find parking and one store has a Deli style pull a ticket.

from WAYNE FOLEY wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from LWarren wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Steward wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Safado wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

MichiganGunner,

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from sd211mba wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from jonesy43 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from woodrat wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Still not seeing any ARs or 10/22s even, on the racks again yet.

from flytierodwrap wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from dasmith wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from hutter wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from soxfan1234 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from nc30-06 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from hal herring wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from keen one wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

sounds like credit card statements have started showing up.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

@ hal herring,

Why wouldn't one shoot a .41 Rem Mag?

from coosabass2012 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago