Turkey Hunting Gear: Redhead Bucklick Creek Turkey Lounger Vest

The Gun Nuts

February 14, 2013

Turkey Hunting Gear: Redhead Bucklick Creek Turkey Lounger Vest

By Phil Bourjaily

Today I ordered a new Bucklick Creek Turkey Lounger from Bass Pro Shops. It is the only turkey vest I will consider wearing to the woods. I have had mine since 2004 or so. Before that, turkey hunting was a seat-numbing experience, a literal pain in the butt. The Turkey Lounger changed that forever for me. It was invented by a hunter in Missouri who sewed one of those self-supporting folding camping chairs into a vest. Other vests have more thickly padded seats, but this one allows you to lean back and take some of the weight off your seat, and that makes all the difference. You can also set up without a tree if need be. I have shot a bunch of Iowa turkeys since I got this vest, and it definitely gets a share of the credit for the birds that have demanded patience.

It’s a strap-style vest with enough room for the calls, snacks, extra headnets, clippers and other gear I bring to the woods. It’s not perfect: it’s heavier than other vests, and could be better made, but I don’t care. The camp chair makes it worth the price. My old vest also has plastic tabs on all the zipper pulls that click lightly when I walk hampering my natural ninja-like stealth. The new model, I see from the Bass Pro catalog, replaces the plastic tabs with nylon and that’s all it took for me to order a new one. Now I will be as stealthy as I am comfortable. It’s $79.99 from Bass Pro and as a turkey hunting invention it ranks right up there with HeviShot.

from laker wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

I've often thought something like this with enough Blaze to make it legal in MN would be ideal for my style of deer hunting. Mainly, I walk with super stealth into a likely location, lean up against a tree, then fall asleep. This would make nap time even more comfortable.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

I definitely feel your pain Phil, will have to look into one of these!

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Laker - I have used my turkey vest for deer hunting on many occasions, and I love it for that. I almost wish that Hunter Safety Systems would combine all the features of a turkey vest into their safety harness vests so a deer hunter can have enough pockets for all of their gear. The current vests are decent, but they leave something to be desired in terms of pocket space.

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

I have three of these vests, the zippers are broke and the nylon pad has worn through the cordura seat material but they still work like a charm. I have since recycled my oldest Bucklick Creek Lounger and now use it as my predator calling vest. I carry my Foxpro ecall and several open and closed reed predator mouth calls in the several pockets, my ammo, license, and a dried out Gobbler left wing on a parachute cord in the back bag as my predator decoy. I can also envision these being excellent for deer hunting with a gun. I do think these particular vests are still a little too noisy for bowhunting applications out of trees but that's just me. I think they would serve as excellent kit for ground hunting bucks with bow during prerut. With the seat feature, you could hunker against a tree or other backdrop to break up your outline, screw a bowholder into a nearby tree and rattle/grunt a nice buck in.

from MReeder wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Nice vest, but along with climbing up tree stands my days of trying to sit for any length of time with legs stretched out flat on the ground stopped sometime back. Fifty well back in your rearview mirror will do that to you. My personal turkey vest is a Wall's Game Winner that cost me less than 20 bucks. It has plenty of room for all my calls and a couple of collapsible decoys, plus the $4 camo folding chair I picked up at Academy. Chair itself weighs maybe two pounds at most and unlike a built-in I can sit up off the ground, saving my knees and avoiding ticks. It's comfortable enough that the biggest problem with it is falling asleep in the shade.

from country road wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I have to go with the Cabela's Tactical Tat'r Kickstand vest. I tried the BPS vest in the store and wasn't particularly impressed compared to the Kickstand vest. True, the Cabela's vest is considerably more expensive, but I've hunted hard with mine for two seasons, plus some deer hunting, and it shows no sign of wear. It's super comfortable, too.

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Phil, how many LARGE pockets does this vest have? It looks like just one. I rely on pot calls (with a diaphragm call too) & like to carry 5 slates, plus a shake gobble call, so I need a couple of big pockets. I also hunt the south where it's usually hot & humid (if ya ain't sweatin' and cursin' mosquitos, it ain't turkey huntin') and prefer very narrow straps for cooler comfort. I'm still using a 15 yr old HS Strut vest that fits the bill. It's worn, has a hole worn in one inner pocket, but I have not been able to find a replacement that suits me as much.

As far as the seat, I too am past sitting on the ground. I've tried every cushion I could find but still kept getting SBS - Sore Butt Syndrome. One of the first times I took a nephew out with me, a bird suddenly appeared a short distance away and we had to sit down immediately. We sat there 45 minutes while the bird morphed into a hen. I tried to stand up and I'd lost all feeling in my legs from no circulation and fell hard. My nephew didn't stop laughing for 5 full minutes...and me right along with him. So, now I use an EveRest Turkey Lounger, which is strong enough to hold my ample self, keeps me off the ground away from those bloodsuckin' ticks, and is so comfortable I have to fight to stay awake sometimes. It's a slight bother to carry, but it's worth it to me.

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

But I keep looking and hoping. Hence the question: big pockets?

from lang123 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Asian dating --Until the peeling off of my youth, when you love me love me love me. www.lilydating.com

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from philbourjaily wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Longbeard --
The new model has two individual pot call pockets on the right, one big pocket you could dump three more into on the left side. It has two striker pockets inside.

It lacks a couple of pockets the old model had and the straps are wide and padded. Again -- the vest is only okay, but the seat more than makes up for it.

I am fortunate to live and hunt in a place where mosquito season and turkey season rarely overlap.

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Thanks for the reply, Phil. Guess I'll keep looking. And hoping that a vest manufacturer is reading this blog!

from laker wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

I definitely feel your pain Phil, will have to look into one of these!

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from MReeder wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from country road wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

But I keep looking and hoping. Hence the question: big pockets?

from philbourjaily wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago