Day of the...What? New York Times Columnist Misses the Mark

The Gun Nuts

April 09, 2013

Day of the...What? New York Times Columnist Misses the Mark

By David E. Petzal

As we all know, 90 percent of Americans (or 92 percent, depending on whose speech you’re listening to) favor “sensible” gun control (which is code for “no guns at all” in case you missed something), and the news media, sensing a great tidal shift in public opinion, have taken delight in exposing gun owners for the lowlifes and psychopaths they fervently believe we are.

Sometimes this blackguarding takes curious turns. For example, in the Sunday New York Times Magazine, the weekly essay was on hunting, and it was by Field & Stream’s Bill Heavey, who is not only a hell of a writer, but is really a hunter, and Gets It about as well as anyone has ever Gotten It.

But in the Sunday Review section of that same issue, the Times also ran a piece entitled “Day of the Hunter,” by regular columnist Frank Bruni. Mr. Bruni’s orientation is urban. He knows as much about hunting, guns, and things bucolic as I do about men’s fashion, post-impressionist painting, or computer science. It is a truly bizarre article, the bare bones of which are as follows:

At Mr. Bruni’s favorite Manhattan restaurant, the chef mentions that he has been shooting game birds and putting them on the menu. Mr. Bruni, intrigued, gets himself invited to the next bird hunt, which turns out to be at a preserve in Pennsylvania. Despite the fact that he has never handled a firearm before he is strangely attracted to the Benelli he is loaned (“My 12-gauge semi was black, sleek, and Italian-made, as much an accessory as an instrument of death.”) and despite the fact that he is “panicked, with a new grasp of how much could go wrong,” and “is a lousy aim,” he manages to down a chukar and perhaps a pheasant (…”it was sometimes hard to tell whose shot had hit what.”)

However, the affair ended satisfactorily (“There was a thrill to it, no question. My heart hammered. My curiosity spiked…”), and Mr. Bruni concluded that he’d hunt again, although he was in no rush, as it was “…impossible for me not to be nervous around guns.”

Along the way, Mr. Bruni manages to comment on the decline in the popularity of hunting, the unreasonableness of AR proponents, the folly of letting someone like himself hunt without a background check, the unfairness of using “a scattering of pellets” instead of a single bullet, and the small size of the Beretta Vinci’s safety.

“Day of the Hunter” is two things: First, it’s inadvertently, and hysterically, funny. It reminds me of the satire that National Lampoon used to do in its glory days, except that Mr. Bruni was writing in complete earnest. It is also profoundly misleading. I have nothing against preserve shooting. I’ve done it and have no objection to other people doing it. But to say that it’s hunting in the correct sense of the word is nonsense. Frank Bruni did not go hunting. He shot pen-raised birds in an artificial environment for money. If he would like to go on an actual hunt sometime, I suggest a horseback elk hunt. Except that horses smell, and elk rifles kick, and the cuisine in elk camp is not haute. It might open his eyes.

On second thought, forget it.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Sounds like Bruni's piece was the epitome of pointlessness. Yes, it is scary that someone could put a gun in his hands given that he knows nothing about hunting or shooting. It would not happen up here. Even an outfitter cannot sell a license to someone from out of country unless they can prove they have some experience ... i.e. qualified enough in their home jurisdiction to obtain a similar hunting license (which, by the way, THEY HAVE TO GIVE UP THE ORIGINAL to obtain their non-resident tag). And anyone running around with a gun in hand without a hunting license and/or firearms permit is heading to the crowbar motel. No complaints from me about those regs. Last thing I want is some unknowing idiot like Bruni fumbling around with a gun out in the bush.

from Douglas wrote 1 year 1 week ago

How did he get to hunt without attending a hunter safety course? Is it legal on a fenced "preserve"?
Perhaps this is another example of an upper crustacean getting a free pass to something the rest of us have to save up and sacrifice for.

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 1 week ago

OH, why in the world would you have to give up your original? I hope they give it back.

Mr. Bruni is clueless, totally without clues! He should stick to writing somthing he knows about.

Well done Dave!

MG

from aferraro wrote 1 year 1 week ago

FYI- you do not need a hunting license on a preserve in PA. They have their own regulations, but are still subject to orange requirements and our idiotic and unconstitutional Sunday hunting ban.

from cubdrvr wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Say what? A Sunday hunting ban? Methinks golf would be more appropriate.

from Nixstyx wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Excellent response to a bad column! Except that it's the Benelli Vinci, not a Beretta

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Did Mr. Bruni mention what color dress he wore? I hope it matched the gun...perhaps a tasteful pearl necklace and pumps with mountain treads?
These liberals are a joke. They seem so suddenly fascinated by "manly" things like guns, dead birds, basketball coaches and scratching yourself on the mound. Bruni is the result of the past 50 years of liberal attempts to neuter the American male. They didn't make the team...Hell, they didn't even try out. They just sat next to Tiger Mommy and knocked real men and the things they do. Perhaps Bloomberg can give him a good strong hug to comfort him.
God I hope the "Grey Lady" dies soon. I really believe the world would be a better place without that rag.

from SMC1986 wrote 1 year 1 week ago

aferraro, I feel your pain. MD has their "blue laws" against hunting on Sundays. Hurts when they take away half your hunting time but at least we get a few Sundays a season, including opening weekend of firearms usually. As for the article I expect nothing better from an urbanite who goes on a canned hunt and tries to masquerade as a hunter.

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Read the comments on Bill's editorial. There have been several mentions of the linking of "foodies" and hunting.

I don't get it.

from rock rat wrote 1 year 1 week ago

The NYT has had some pretty spectacular flops when writing about things gun or hunting. That one was way up there, maybe the worst I can remember. My hope is that PA requires a hunters safety card and license even on preserves and he gets busted.

Bill Heavy's article was about the best I've ever read there.

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 1 week ago

DP, read the article. Thought it was strange in it went back-n-forth between two pundits. Oddly, I thought it was some reprint of a Galen Winters story of *Chronicles of Major Peabody* where The Major character was beating up on some upper crust twit.

As you know The Major character “is not infected with the disease of politically correct posturing. Gun Controllers and Pseudo-Environmentalists don’t like him”.

Are you sure this isn't a *Major Peabody* story?

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 1 week ago

I'm amazed that after only one day of preserve "hunting" and a single experience with firearms that he has gained a full grasp of issues related to hunting and 2nd ammendment rights, truly an amazing accomplishment.[note extreme levels of sarcasm]

Seriously though, I don't know where to start tearing this article apart. He notes how easy it is to kill a bird but doesn't seem to understand that there is a big difference between a farm raised chukar and its wild counterpart. He obviously doesn't know that hunters ed classes even exist. And if he truly felt that he was entrusted with a gun too easily then his high convictions would have dictated that he decline the offer to use the gun without whatever he may feel is proper training.

It was especially rediculous that he criticizes how a firearm can be subjected to romance and fetishism as if it were similar to his beloved rolex and loafers.

from Sb Wacker wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Does he know you've invited him? It would make a great piece for both of you.
SBW

from DakotaMan wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Nice article DP! There are a very large number of metropolitan Americans who have been raised so far from reality that they believe their chickens were born in Saran Wrap. Many would be shocked to hear that chicken comes from a live bird and they actually have feathers. When it comes to defending our country from evil doers, they will be the first to let someone else get in line. The growing attitude is to let some dumb peon protect them... someone whose life has less value.

Many have never seen a gun and therefore they see no purpose in them. If they don't need them, no one does! Many believe that guns are for play and are too dangerous to warrant their continued use as a toy. God forbid, should we have to go to war, I'd sure hate to have to depend on someone like Mr. Bruni fighting next to me.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Bruni is Gay and that's his business, but let's be serious how many Gay men have you ever heard of that are into the Blood Sports and Guns?
He's about as much in tune with us and our lifestyle as the Kardashian morons.
So WHY DOES THE NYT give him any street cred on the topic? This is why that paper should hurry up and die.
EVERYTHING they print has a radical left wing agenda and ZERO substance supporting any of their claims. Seriously, this is the paper while under Howell Raines that had a reporter writing "On the Scene" reports from his laptop in his living room. He NEVER went to the scene. He dreamt up observations from behind his pizza box desk while playing X-Box. He wasn't a REAL GUY either.
The sad part is as bad as this horrific rag is...when it comes time to go under, Obama will jump in with OUR cash to bail them and their union out. Because they have always been his little lemmings. BOYCOTT THE TIMES, they are not the Sportsman's friend.

from crm3006 wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Bruni is obviously a far left metro-sexual who is very lucky he stumbled through his first "hunt" uninjured and without a serious disaster. He keeps trying to equate hunting to the Second Amendment, which is not what the 2nd A is about, at all, at all. I must confess, I was unable to read all of his drivel, my gag limit goes only so far, and I find I am less and less tolerant of fools and those who would push their preconceived notions of WHAT IS RIGHT on me.
DEP- Did you not wander off far, far into the field of satire when you proclaimed that Heavey is "not only a hell of a writer, but is really a hunter, and Gets It about as well as anyone has ever Gotten It"?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 1 week ago

I dunno, it seems to me that publishing that dumbass article of Bruni's only made him and others like him look like idiots. On the other hand Bill's article seems to have been pretty much stellar. I don't see that they have done our cause any great injustice. Maybe a few favors.

Doug, yes you have to give up the original license from home state to get the Ontario non-resident tags. I guess they had too much crap being pulled by tag vendors, particularly the outfitters (i.e. faked photocopies, etc.). That's the only way the MNR feels it can establish for certain that someone really has a non-resident hunting license. They are pretty strict up here about making sure whoever picks up a gun in the woods knows what they are doing. Hard to argue with that. It just means the non-resident has to get a replacement tag when they get back home. The MNR will usually provide some documentation to help with that. A copy of the regs and non-resident Ontario license should answer anybody's questions about what happened to the original tag.

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Yeah, he didn't hunt. Those pen raised pheasant can barely fly. I guess it is as close to instant gratification as you can get while still saying you hunted. Can't post a link to the whole article because apparently it is obscene. It is easy to find, I just googled Frank Bruni hunts... quite an eye opener.

I am astounded whenever I get a glimpse of how the people in NYC really view the world. It is such a narrow view and there are close to 9 million people all sitting on top of each other with the same mindset. Here's a fat, gay, sleeping pill addicted food editor and he is suddenly New York's authority on hunting. God save us all.

from AP wrote 1 year 1 week ago

As far as I'm concerned, any "man" that refers to a firearm as an "accessory" has no place writing about...well pretty much anything. Let alone hunting and guns. Good grief.

from Safado wrote 1 year 1 week ago

I think Gun Nuts writing about liberals is like...well Mr. Bruni writing about hunting!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from rock rat wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Read the comments at the end of the article, not the NYT recommended comments, not the Readers recommended comments, but just the comments. A lot of disgusted hunters.

from W. Mathew Drumm wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Seriously guys...people like Bruni don't get it, they never have and never will. That being said, why do we even care what a urban girlyman like him feels about hunting, the 2nd ammendment or our constitutional rights? He was playing to his audience, using the same emotionally-based rhetoric and invective the left is known for, because that's all they have. His description of the Benelli he was using ("as much an accessory as an instrument of death...")is laughable because it reveals beyond question his depth of understanding or the conspicuous lack thereof. I've been hunting and shooting for the majority of my 43+years and never once did I ever consider my rifle, pistol or shotgun an "accessory". You can almost see this sad joke dressed in a grand worth of Fillson upland gear that still smells brand new, tiptoeing through the brush, afraid of stepping through a spiderweb or getting something in his hair.
See? I just used a bunch of denigrating rhetoric, meant to paint the subject in an unfavorable light. You know that's how the other side plays, and despite their best efforts they're really not gaining any ground, because the NY Times and all the other leftist rags ain't the only game in town, nor are their broadcast buddies at NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, etc. The fact that we're on this website, discussing it in this manner is proof positive of it.

from O Garcia wrote 1 year 1 week ago

writers often use the shotgun to represent something that is indiscriminate. if a whistleblower makes a general accusation (the Baghdad police are corrupt), the accused would say the whistleblower is making his accusation shotgun style (or in a shotgun manner).

far too many people have been brainwashed by Western movies where the hero mows down multiple enemies with one blast. Not even in the days of the blunderbuss was the shotgun that sweeping in its effects. at really close ranges, the shotgun has a fist-size spread, the main reason Finn Aagard did not use a shotgun when going after wounded game, because the requirement for aiming is still there, and Finn's .458 was more effective in his hands.

these people really should take up sporting clays or trap or skeet so they can realize how hard it is to hit a flying target. although the sight of those Olympians powdering those clay discs with regularity might actually add to their delusion that shotgunning is easy.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 1 week ago

I think this is an ongoing problem with a number of media people. This person goes hunting once in his lifetime and fires a shotgun for the first time. At this point he now feels that he has the experience to voice his opinion on magazine capacity, what type of firearm is appropriate for the game being hunted, and the ethics and philosophical significance of hunting. How could I have been so blind all these years.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Since his one hunting experience made him an authority, one only wonders how brilliant he could be if he had only spent the night at a Holiday Inn Express?

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 1 week ago

The Bruni article is a perfect example of how people will form strong opinions on matters they have no knowledge of.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Buckhunter,

Have you heard from Happy Myles lately?

from tom warner wrote 1 year 1 week ago

The urban/rural cultural divide is the cause of all this BS and becomes more extreme with each passing year. As a certified geezer (80+) I even see it among hunters; there is a big divide between the outlooks of hunters of my generation and the present one. Now that the majority of us now live their lives in the ever-growing termite mounds we call cities, stocked with humans who have no experience of the natural world, the situation will only get worse.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 1 week ago

WAM,

Have not spoken to Happy for a couple months but I know he has been on here just a few days ago.

from Del in KS wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Saw a post from Happy last week.

from Leslie Hawkinson wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Has anybody, who knows how to use this technology, forwarded this story to Frank Bruni? I sure hope so. The one thing that upsets me is that people like Frank get to tell other people what "hunting" is. I feel safe in saying that the only thing he actually hit during his "hunt" was atmosphere. Of course, one of those pen-raised birds could have committed suicide. If he ever went on that horseback elk hunt and actually had a bull bugle close enough that his teeth shook, he'd crap his pants. Most of those office-bound big city wannabes probably think the shotgun he used on the barnyard chickens would be the same thing to take along on the elk hunt.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Del, Buckhunter

Must have missed it.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 1 week ago

WAM, Del, Buckhunter,
I am fine, a lot of logistical issues getting ready to head to Cameroon At my age my family has some misgivings of me heading back to the jungle there for the third time. Might add it will be my last foray to those lovely environs.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 1 week ago

I hear that, Happy. With my case of "Sometimer's" as Lance likes to call it, I have logistical problems even getting to Safeway once in a while! Good luck on your hunt and take care of yourself.

WAM

from markous15 wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Good article, but if 92 percent of Americans believed in "no guns at all" we would not be allowed to own guns. The stat you are referring to is talking about universal background checks for purchasing firearms. Supporting universal background checks doesn't means you think no one should own a gun.

from markous15 wrote 1 year 1 week ago

*mean.

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 1 week ago

To Happy Myles: Good hunting, and don't get stomped or et.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Dave,
So far, over the decades have been stomped and chewed on, but not et.
Kindest Regards

from bill4432 wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Bruni had made up his mind about what he wanted to write and THEN went out and tried "hunting," if shooting at a game preserve at pen-raised birds is hunting. (Clue: it's not.)

He criticizes hunting because, in his view, many hunters don't always hunt ethically. That's like criticizing Christianity because many Christians don't live up to the teachings in the Bible.

from Safado wrote 1 year 1 week ago

I have read both articles; and like a lot of others here I think Bill Heavey's article is excellent. It is the description of a hunt told by a hunter. Mr. Bruni's article is clearly an article about hunting from someone who not only is not a hunter but someone who knows nothing about guns. I think he described his experience. I also noticed at the end of the article that he was willing to do it again. Isn't that what we want? I have an issue with him being allowed to handle guns without knowing how to do it safely. I can appreciate that to a "green horn" the experience was loud, a little scary and at times he couldn't tell what was going on. I think a big part of the problem many people have with guns is ignorance. When properly introduced to guns a lot of people will find them less intimidating. I find it interesting that the New York Times included both articles in the same issue.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Good luck, Happy. Wish I was going along. I had some turkey hunting plans for this spring but I better stick to the homestead till my daughter drops her calf in early June. I'm all she's got now.

from Iklwa wrote 1 year 6 days ago

I used to get nervous around girls.
I am still sometimes befuddled by the gorgeous…but that didn’t make me a homo.

Of course, this is the same fellow who would readily chide another for being a little nervous around a cross-dressing fairy with tattoos and fishing tackle on its face.
“Oh no, they’re not dangerous.”
“What do you have to be worried about?”

from 007 wrote 1 year 4 days ago

Happy, good hunting, traveling mercies, and God speed. Don't forget, I still want an autographed copy of your book.

from juthompson wrote 1 year 2 days ago

My favorite part of the whole article, since I did him the favor of reading the whole thing (wish I had those 10 minutes back) was at the end of shooting caged game birds all day HE DIDN'T EVEN CLEAN THEM! how are you supposed to "make the connection between animal and dinner plate" If you don't at least participate in the whole process? I swear sometimes it would make more sense to take a Kardashian hunting.

from JackM wrote 51 weeks 4 days ago

The reason the polling on universal background checks is so unusally high, is because asking someone if they're for such checks, is like asking them if they're in favor of puppies and kittens.

However, once your stuck with them, you realize very fast, that puppies and kittens crap all over the place.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from AP wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 1 week ago

WAM, Del, Buckhunter,

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Dave,
So far, over the decades have been stomped and chewed on, but not et.
Kindest Regards

from cubdrvr wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Say what? A Sunday hunting ban? Methinks golf would be more appropriate.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 1 week ago

To Happy Myles: Good hunting, and don't get stomped or et.

from Douglas wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Well done Dave!

MG

from aferraro wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from SMC1986 wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from Sb Wacker wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Does he know you've invited him? It would make a great piece for both of you.
SBW

from DakotaMan wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 1 week ago

He's about as much in tune with us and our lifestyle as the Kardashian morons.

from crm3006 wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from tom warner wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from Safado wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from Iklwa wrote 1 year 6 days ago

I used to get nervous around girls.
I am still sometimes befuddled by the gorgeous…but that didn’t make me a homo.

“Oh no, they’re not dangerous.”
“What do you have to be worried about?”

from JackM wrote 51 weeks 4 days ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from Nixstyx wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 1 week ago

I don't get it.

from rock rat wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Bill Heavy's article was about the best I've ever read there.

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Are you sure this isn't a *Major Peabody* story?

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from rock rat wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from W. Mathew Drumm wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from O Garcia wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 1 week ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Buckhunter,

Have you heard from Happy Myles lately?

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 1 week ago

WAM,

from Del in KS wrote 1 year 1 week ago

Saw a post from Happy last week.

from Leslie Hawkinson wrote 1 year 1 week ago