Gun Nuts TV: Shotgun and Rifle Recoil in Slow Motion

The Gun Nuts

June 27, 2013

Gun Nuts TV: Shotgun and Rifle Recoil in Slow Motion

By Phil Bourjaily

The things Dave and I do for you, the Gun Nuts viewers. This clip starts with me on an upcoming segment, emptying a lightweight (6 ¾ pound) semiauto loaded with 3 ½-inch 12 gauge magnum shells. I am attempting to show the futility — even stupidity — of trying to make good followup shots on flying targets with a gun/load combination that kicks like an elephant gun.

Much as I like to complain about recoil, I am pretty good at “staying in the gun” as they say. Nevertheless, we threw three easy targets in succession for this clip and while I never missed the first one, I couldn’t recover from the recoil in time to go three for three in the four or five times we tried this.

After that we have Dave shooting a Montana Rifle Company American Vantage, a dangerous game rifle chambered for some kind of cartridge designed to keep angry animals from eating or stomping you. The rifle does a good job of stomping on its own.

At any rate, the Gun Nuts are back. Season IV is comprised of eight shows from last year, then the nine new episodes we just finished will start airing on Aug. 28.

The Gun Nuts, Season IV starts on the Outdoor Channel Wednesday, July 3. The show will air Wednesdays at the following times:

7:30 p.m. (eastern)
10:30 p.m. (eastern)
2:30 a.m. (Thursday morning - eastern)

from Tim Platt wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

I think I saw Dave smile when that scope almost hit him in the face. You didn't smile a lot Phil...

from jjas wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

Ouch...x2.....

from davidpetzal wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

As I've said, the acceptance of pain is the beginning of good shooting. The love of pain is the beginning of great shooting.

from buckstopper wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

Dave, is that a callous above your eyebrow from scopes hitting you?

from buckstopper wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

Phil, the third shot shot from your humpback Benelli ( the new A-5?) what totally egregeous(i really shouldn't try to use big words with my limited education). At least with my Special Steel Citori 3 1/2" O/U I only get to take two punishing shots....LOL

from Treestand wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

May be I'm to old but I can Remember when 3" 20Ga was a Big Deal and now 3 1/2" 12Ga&10Ga...we Harvested just as many Ducks,Grouse,Woodcock,Turkey with 2 3/4"Exp 12Ga&16Ga with out that killer Recoil...What ever happened to Fair chase on Game Birds....I do believed 3"-3 1/2"mag Guns is just sell Guns and Ammo to make YOU feel "Inadequate" using a 2 3/4"Shotgun.And Rifles to Shoot Further,Faster,Flatter,Heaver Pay loads?? what ever happened to your hunting skills,When a long Shot at Deer was 200+Yd....Just my 2Cents

from Sten wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

The first shooter shook his head in disapproval after shooting, while the second smiled.

from davidpetzal wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

To Busckstopper: No, but you have a sharp eye. Some years ago I had a titanium plate installed where scopes hit me, so what you see is not bone and skin, but metal and flesh-colored paint. When you get whacked, you simple touch it up and smile.

from RJ Arena wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

For years I avoided rifles and shotguns that might give me pain, memories of a bad experience with a very light .280, and a eyebrow scope cut, until I realized that I was being a wuss, and accepted that pain is part of shooting. Now I look forward to the first shot with the attitude " Is that all you got?" Now I love my .45-70 marlin and Buffalo Bore ammo, bring it on!!

from Beekeeper wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

What are the odds of having two left handed gun writers for the same magazine?

from buckstopper wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

Bee - it because left-handed people are in their right minds!

from 99explorer wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

Two left-handed gun writers with sado-masochistic tendencies.
Include me out.

from 1uglymutha wrote 42 weeks 9 hours ago

Petzal gets the shooting glasses shoved into the bridge of his nose and chuckles. This man is strange. We read his stuff religiously. What does that say about us?

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 42 weeks 9 hours ago

Gentlemen, that did not look like fun to me. Dave, that rifle looked abusive...for which cartridge is it chambered? You remind me why most of my rifles are varminters! I don't think I could punish myself with 50-100 rounds of that beast. You've renewed my appreciation for my .22 centerfire rifles.

from Dangle wrote 41 weeks 6 days ago

difference is in "Perceived" recoil. Rifle is more instantaneous, and the shotgun distributed more over time. Distribution reduces the preceived recoil effect. Someone want to read a good assessment on how to improve your shotgun shooting? Those that have contributed to DU get the benefit of reading Phil's 10 pts. to better shotgun shooting in the latest issue....and they are well worth reading...spot on.

from davidpetzal wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from davidpetzal wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from Treestand wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from Sten wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from Beekeeper wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

What are the odds of having two left handed gun writers for the same magazine?

from 1uglymutha wrote 42 weeks 9 hours ago

from Tim Platt wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from jjas wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

Ouch...x2.....

from buckstopper wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

Dave, is that a callous above your eyebrow from scopes hitting you?

from buckstopper wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from RJ Arena wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from buckstopper wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

Bee - it because left-handed people are in their right minds!

from 99explorer wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

Two left-handed gun writers with sado-masochistic tendencies.
Include me out.