Good Place to Shoot: Prince George’s County Shooting Center in Maryland

The Gun Nuts

July 29, 2013

Good Place to Shoot: Prince George’s County Shooting Center in Maryland

By Phil Bourjaily

This one falls under the heading of “How I spent my summer vacation.”

Surprisingly enough one of the nicest shooting facilities I have seen in a long time lies just a few minutes outside the 495 Beltway around Washington D.C. in Maryland, a state currently making more anti- than pro-gun news. More surprising—even mind-boggling—the Prince George’s County Shooting Center is a county-run facility, and part of the Prince George’s County parks system.

I had no idea what to expect, but the place is a gem. It features a very nice 22-station sporting clays course, eight trap and 13 skeet fields, international trap and skeet (more on this next time) a pro shop in the clubhouse with guns for rent, instructors on staff, golf cart rental, pretty much everything you want in a clay target club.

Trap and skeet are $6 a round or $50/10 rounds, sporting clays is $44 for 100 birds which is not unreasonable. It’s open seven days a week and apparently very busy on weekends. My son John and I visited on a Friday and saw shooters with everything from Mossbergs to Kreighoffs enjoying the club.

The club has an interesting history. It is one of only three of the orginal 75 Winchester-franchised clubs* opened back in the 70s that is still in business. This club was run by Winchester at a loss for many years. Beretta took it over and ran it briefly, also at a loss. Prince George’s County has an “enterprise” division that runs for-profit facilities like golf courses. They took over management of the club in the late 80s/early 90s and have been running in the black ever since.

The club covers about 120 acres. It’s grandfathered in against noise complaints and is entirely surrounded by NASA property, so its future seems secure. It is also a very friendly place to shoot and I would highly recommend a visit. It is the perfect place to take a break from the crowds at the Smithsonian and the National Zoo next time you visit Washington.

*The Winchester clubs featured the unfortunately Model 1400 semiauto as their house rental guns. They broke down constantly, earning them the reputation as one of the worst shotguns ever. That is not the reason the clubs closed, but it didn’t help.

from ejunk wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

Maryland has a great parks system.

from ejunk wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

Maryland has a great parks system.

from Steve in Virginia wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

I'll second Phil's comments. I've been there a couple of times and it's a great facility. In fact, because of its close proximity to Washington and the quality of the venue, lawmakers frequently do shooting events there. PG county's many problems are well chronicled in the local news, but this facility represents a real bright spot.

from SMC1986 wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

Never been there but then again I've never had a reason to be. May have to check it out one day on the way home from work.

from deerehunter wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

This facility is great. Md 4-H holds their state shotgun shoots here. Mark Biggins and staff are always very accomodating .We try to shoot here several times a year.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

This place sounds Unreal that close to DC! I'll need to take a trip there soon...

from buckstopper wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

I notice no rifle or pistol bays.............but then again shotgunning is a more gentlemanly sport!

from Treestand wrote 37 weeks 2 days ago

Nice,Nice...Uncle Joe's Hang-out Just put Both Bbl over the Hand Rail and let both Bbl GO>>....NO pistol or Rifle Range!

from chasseur wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

It is a terrific facility in unexpected location. Rental guns are often high end Beretta OU's at reasonable rates. There is also a place to pattern a shotgun. There was even a 3D archery course at one time, but the budget reductions probably nixed it.

from springerman3 wrote 37 weeks 9 hours ago

Very nice Phil, I will look it up should I be in the DC area. On a similar note I was in Montana last week and shot at a range west of Bozeman ( Gallatin Sporting Clays ). $ 35 for a round of 100, folks were friendly and accomodating ! FYI you pass a rifle/pistol range on the way as well as drive by a nice looking trout stream .....

from Tony470 wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

Nice write up Phil. This facility isn't far from my home and it's a great place to shoot skeet, trap, sporting clays, five stand and wobble. They also provide an FFL service for clearing firearms purchased out of state. The staff is friendly and they have an excellent team of instructors for lessons. Phil, when are you going back - it would be fun to shoot with you.

from ejunk wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

Maryland has a great parks system.

from ejunk wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

Maryland has a great parks system.

from Steve in Virginia wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago