The Perks of Buying Used Guns

The Gun Nuts

August 12, 2013

The Perks of Buying Used Guns

By Phil Bourjaily

My Beretta 391 waterfowl gun just came back from the Beretta specialists at Cole Gunsmithing, where they fixed its balky action for about $80. Although the gun had never malfunctioned in the field with heavy loads — or even dove loads — I had to run it wet with oil to keep it functioning, and it wouldn’t cycle one-ounce target loads at all. The smiths at Cole polished the top of the locking block where it runs along the barrel extension and the bottom of the bolt slide. Now the action snaps shut at the speed of light and it cycles target loads beautifully.

I bring this up because this 391 is as close to a lemon as any used gun I have ever bought. I suspect the previous owner got rid of it because it didn’t run quite right, although I have no way of knowing as I picked it out of the used rack at my local store.  At any rate, even with the money I spent having it tuned up I still got a good deal on it.

My feelings about used guns remain unchanged. As I have written before, I love them. They are a deal, they have a past, and someone else has saved you the trauma of putting the first scratch on the stock. This Beretta aside, I have had very good luck with used guns.  I guess the only other “bad” used gun I had was an SKB 500 that shot very high. Theoretically, the high POI was a problem; although in the field it was no problem at all and I killed a lot of birds with that gun in the short time I had it.

Your experiences with used guns may differ. Maybe I am either a canny judge of used gunflesh or just lucky. I am ready for your stories of used guns, good and bad.

from hengst wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

I have only ever bought two used guns. A marlin 30-30 and a S&W 629 44 mag.

The marlin is nice bought it at a local pawn shop, had a few scratches but hit what I aimed at and still does. So great deal for me.

I bought the S&W from my friend that bought it from his relative. No scratches, light wear, reload data worked up, extra ammo, case, grips and some 240 gr laser casts all in the deal. Bought it very cheap and shoots great, very smooth trigger. I really enjoy shooting it.

So I got lucky twice.

from Brian Jackson wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

My used gun deal was a Beretta 391 Sporting Clays model that would not cycle reliably. I put in a call to Cole Gunsmithing and replaced the 391 carrier with a 390 carrier and a new recoil spring for about $60 bucks. Altogether I spent half of what a new 391 goes for and ended up with the bargain to beat all bargains that I have run across.

from vasportsman wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

I have an old single action .22 lr revolver that my dad bought used, after about 50 rounds the trigger got lighter and lighter until the point came wear a soft breeze would fire it and it became dangerous. Took it to a gunsmith, not even worth fixing. So it sits in the safe because I wouldn't feel good about selling it to an unknowing buyer and hearing that something bad happened.

from Mark-1 wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

A used 12-ga 1100 skeet gun and a used Remington 12-ga 1100 Upland Model have all been bargains, especially after tweaking. These two of these guns I sold, breaking even after years using in the fields. A 3rd used 1100 is my present main, go-to shotgun after tweaking.

Had wonderful luck with a bull barrel Ruger 22 auto I bought used when living in Montana. Wish I still had that pistol. It made me look a bad-ass pistolaro shooting gophers.

from Safado wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

My best pistol a Sig P229 was purchased factory refurbished, it cost about 400 under the price of a new P229 and was $400 less. Over time I have purchased three Remington 1100's in 12ga, 20ga and .410 bore; all at least $200 under the price of new ones. Every rifle that I own except my three Savages have been rpreviously owned. My last rifle purchase was about $1,000 under the price of new. I have purchased used Weatherby's, a Steyer Mannlicher and a Sako, all substantially under the cost of new!

from Safado wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

My best pistol a Sig P229 was purchased factory refurbished, it cost about 400 under the price of a new P229 and was $400 less. Over time I have purchased three Remington 1100's in 12ga, 20ga and .410 bore; all at least $200 under the price of new ones. Every rifle that I own except my three Savages have been previously owned. My last rifle purchase was about $1,000 under the price of new. I have purchased used Weatherby's, a Steyer Mannlicher and a Sako, all substantially under the cost of new!

from Tim Platt wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

Probably more than half of my guns were bought used or inherited. I got an M1 Carbine for $200 that I have probably cycled 30,000 rounds through and have never done a thing to it. It was both of my son's favorite gun until I bought an AR.

I still hunt with a Remington 1100 that my father in law traded to me for an old Stevens double barrel. It was my best deal, but he was really just doing me a favor.

from Anhinga wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

I've purchased or traded for 14 used firearms; shotguns, rifles and handguns. All but one I still have and shoot. The only one I "resold" was a Beretta 3.5" Auto that consistently malfunctioned. Hope it found a good home; it was worth the loss of $150 to get shed of it. Replaced it with a Browning Maxus and waterfowl season was wonderful last fall.

from Fruguy101 wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

The only used gun I have is a Remington 522 Viper .22 rifle that my cousin gave to me for doing some computer work for him. It has a scope, and I've put a few rounds through it. It works pretty dang good for a rifle that never caught on in the market.

from ITHACASXS wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

Most of my guns have been ''married before'', some to close relatives. My first used purchase(1981)was a 12 gauge 1100 that a short order cook in need of cash sold to me through my dad. The last(last year) was a very nice Browning B-80 for my son, who then thanked his old dad with a nice brace of mallards he shot with it. In between there has been a Belgian Sweet-16, a very nice Ithaca sxs that needed more work than I thought but still has been a great shooter,a mule kicking Ithaca deerslayer, a marlin 39a, another Ithaca sxs ( High-grade for my dad), and the steal of the century for me, a super-nice 1973 Charles Daly o/u. All have been good luck for me. Phil,I would say your success has been 90% you and 10% good luck. Sadly, due to an aging hunting population in the Buffalo NY area, there are a lot of good deals on fine shotguns. I say sadly because we aren't replacing these old-timers with enough new hunters. Great post Mr. Phil.

from deadeyedick wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

There are some very good deals in the use gun market, BUT it is buyer beware. Before buying any used gun take a good hard long look at it. Many people sell their guns because they need some fast cash but others sell them because of a problem and some can be quite expensive to fix. I have had some really good deals and others I got screwed the pooch. There are some warning signs on used guns, like rounded or marred screws, obvious signs of heavy use, loose cylinders or actions are some of the signs to look for. Stolen guns can land you in some hot water for sure. I almost ended up in prison over a stolen handgun a lot of years ago. so now I always get a reciept for any gun I buy

from buckstopper wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

How'd that pigeon do on the grill? Bacon wrap and Italian dressing works wonders.......

from RPeterson wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

Phil, what barrel length is that 391 that you use for waterfowl?

from ejpaul1 wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

so far the only real stinkers Ive had was a Winchester model 1500 XTR European and a Remington 7400 in 270. The Winchester works if you clean the crud out of it every time. THe Remington was hopeless. I jammed occasionally and what was worse was that it was inaccurate with ANY load. Sold it and got a model 700 in 30-06. the Winchester hits true and shoots soft.

from Red Angus wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

I have gotten along really well with both my new and used guns. My SKS is one of my favorite used guns. In my opinion it is more accurate and reliable than a mini-14 and at roughly half the price it is a great gun for beating around the farm with. The 7.62x39 might not have the long range precision of a .223, but it has a lot more power and is still accurate out to 250-300 yards, which is more than enough for my area.

from philbourjaily wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

Buckstopper -- Pigeon tastes about like dove although I prefer the texture of doves. This one got the bacon-jalapeno treatment and was pretty good.
Rpeterson -- the 391 has a 28-inch barrel. That's what I prefer for waterfowl although 26 inch barrels work fine and 30-inchers are great if you can find them anymore.

from z41 wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

I love blued guns with and walnut stocks and used has some of the best walnut. The bluing might be thin but that's no problem. I purchased a very clean Browning Gold that I shot more birds with, it's one of the best guns ever! I've been through a ton of 1100's which I love. I found a Belgium A5 3" 20 Ga with two barrels. The IC barrel shoots slugs like a rifle. I found a gorgeous 1969 101 Winchester 3" 20 Ga. Yup nothing like old guns for old shooters.

BTW I suppose you heard Iowa got their Pheasant count done early this year. Yup they found both of them. :)

from 31Alpha wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

My first gun I ever "bought" was a used Marlin 60W .22LR. I paid my dad $50 dollars for him to buy it from a friend when I was about 13. Still have it 15 years later and it still a fun plinker.

Call me paranoid though, I will never buy a used gun for personal protection/concealed carry. I wouldn't trust a potential lemon with my life. I would rather buy new and break it in myself. Though not all guns coming from a factory are going to be 100% flawless, the odds of a brand new gun having hidden mysteries is a lot less.

from DSMbirddog wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

I have bought two used rifles. A Rem 308 auto and a Marlin 1985 45-70. Both have been good ones.

from DakotaMan wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

I've bought about a dozen used guns... just could not beat the deal or even come close. Some did have minor problems but they are just mechanical devices that can be repaired or tuned up easily. A couple rifles failed to load properly from the magazine as a result of poor bedding. A quick glass bedding fixed that. Some shot poorly from the same problem. My favorite shotgun had been spray painted in a terrible home-made camo/puke pattern. I bought it for $200 and was able to clean that ugly paint off in less than 1/2 hour to discover a beautiful new 870 Wingmaster with exceptional wood. My profile has a pic of my most recent addition. A stainless Howa 1500 that I added a Timney trigger, Weatherby deluxe stock (blemished for $200 online), glass/pillar bedding. It is now a highly accurate rifle almost too beautiful to use for everyday elk hunting. And it cost less than a new clunker with a Tupperware stock.

from The Ry Guy wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

If it weren't for used guns, I wouldn't have any. Well maybe one, but I just can't see myself shelling out money for something new when a nice example can be purchased used.

from micko77 wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

I never have figured out why must sign in twice to comment here... oh well. Of the couple of dozen used guns I've owned over the years, the only one I had any problem with that couldn't be fixed by cleaning it was a 20 ga. O/U Ithaca that had a nasy habit of going off upon closing from time to time. I traded it for a used 30-30 Handi-rifle kit with a spare 20 ga barrel and haven't looked back-- but I did tell the gunshop owner about the O/U's problem. Fortunately I know how to strip and clean my favorites, the S&W revolvers; I'be saved a lot of money buying used!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 35 weeks 23 hours ago

I have a few used guns in my collection, and all preform nicely. I DO, however; prefer to own NEW guns. So many memories from hunting trips past with my boys I can remember every ding and scratch..

from springerman3 wrote 35 weeks 13 hours ago

I had bought a used 1100 28 gauge several years ago, superb wood and I enjoyed shooting it. Had some mechanical issues ( not cleaning related ) so I traded it for my current go to gun, a Franchi Highlander s/s 20 gauge ! That gun has had stock issues but Franchi has replaced the stock 4 times free of charge so I have no complaints there. I have also bought used SKB 100's, they have been good upland guns for the money. One I had a custom stock put on and opened the mod barrel to skeet. It is a fun gun to carry in grouse woods !
buckstopper: while Phil may prefer doves he does not pass ona pigeon when they fly past the decooys
Z41: That was funny, be funnier if it was not so close to the truth :(

from lorne.prince@ut... wrote 35 weeks 4 hours ago

Hi Phil and Dave:
It's not so much that I collect used guns as people keep giving them to me and I have obtained a lot of them this way. They are mostly estate items that heirs or widows don't know what to do with. I have received many of the guns and rifles on your "best of" or whatever lists this way. The pride of my collection is my Browning Automatic-5 Shotgun with a PolyChoke. I remember one of you raving about having one of these and I must say it is still a treat to fire to this day. It was purchased by a friend of mine in Toronto in November of 1965. He decided he no longer wanted it and gave it to me. I can't thank him enough. Whenever I look at the used weapons rack in a gun shop I make it a practice to look past the weather-beaten stock or some surface rust to the beauty within that I can restore.

from Trapper Vic wrote 35 weeks 4 hours ago

Many "used guns" aren't used that much.Example AR15's. A lot of buyers are of the gotta have one species. Buy it - don't use it but trade it on the next gotta have one!

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 35 weeks 2 min ago

We're living in difficult times and guns are being sold or traded that would otherwise be "keepers" or heirlooms. I invariably check the Used rifles and shotguns because some very tempting choices appear and the inventory turns over rapidly. It is rare to find a bolt action rifle that is badly worn, because few shooters put that many rounds through a barrel.
I am careful to disassemble and examine some of these firearms, but I've been pleased with most of my choices.

from jhjimbo wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

In general, used guns have been good for me. Out of about 125 I have had, all but about 20 have been used. Only 4 times have I found an issue that I could not correct. For the new, I did have to send a S&W 29 back to factory to have the sight picture adjusted. As new, the sight was adjusted full left to hit center of target - I think they put another barrel on it.
A Ruger .44mag rifle would not cycle properly so I traded that off. The other problems were with military rifles and usually centered around headspace.
In a drawing at the club I won a Browning Gold 12ga. that is a great gun and that really made my day.

from clifford.ward wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

I purchased a "used" Sauhr and Son drilling from Cabella's that my gunsmith said that he was pretty sure hadn't been shot except 2 30-06 shells for test at the factory, still had makers grease on parts. I don't think it had been removed but once from the packing case. Cost me less than 1/3 of what a new one would have. Got a nice young 8 point buck one morning and 3 quail on the way to the truck. A 25.5" bbl length for the shotgun pretty well limits to closer shots but it works well and is a good conversation starter. Thats why the Germans and such use them.

from Sten wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

My only used gun is a military surplus gun. It is a M38 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 Swedish. For a gun made in 1943 it is in very good shape. I have used it at the range many times and it is very reliable and can as accurate as I am. I am hoping to shoot my first big game animal in a few weeks with it.

from micko77 wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

I saw a mention of "used guns not used that much"; that applies especially to law-enforcement trade-ins. I've seen holster wear, scrapes and scratches externally but very rarely actual over-use or even much use of the actions. Many LEO's qualify once a year, and that's the only time the weapon is fired (sadly). The good side is that the next buyer gets a like-new pistol/revolver for 2/3 or less the price of new, and can get it Cerakoted inexpensively.

from MReeder wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

I've got something shy of about two dozen guns. Five of them were inherited, three of them were bought as military surplus and about seven of them were bought new. All the others were used guns and all but one were great deals. The only one that bit me was a little Spanish SXS 20 ga. shotgun I bought off gunbroker.com. The licensed dealer I was using was out of town when it arrived and I wasn't able to get it gunsmith inspected in the time window allowed. Beautiful little gun (Gaspar Arizaga imported by Dakin) but like a lot of Spanish guns the sears were soft and need replacement. I've been looking for two years and still haven't found any replacements. If anybody has any leads I'd sure like to hear them.

from DeadCenter1775 wrote 34 weeks 3 days ago

Good Day Ladies and Gents,

On the subject I have bought, traded and sold several guns in the local area. I am mostly a collector of Remington 700's and I enjoy taking them for a stroll on the range. I use Armslist.com to shop, meet owners and learn about guns and the current market. It's a great venue and I have met some incredible people on there and got some really good deals. Always a pleasure.

from hengst wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

I have only ever bought two used guns. A marlin 30-30 and a S&W 629 44 mag.

So I got lucky twice.

from Tim Platt wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from deadeyedick wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 35 weeks 2 min ago

from Brian Jackson wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from vasportsman wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from Mark-1 wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from Safado wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from Safado wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from Anhinga wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from Fruguy101 wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from ITHACASXS wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from buckstopper wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from RPeterson wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

Phil, what barrel length is that 391 that you use for waterfowl?

from ejpaul1 wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago