Gun Fight Friday: 7mm Magnum Showdown

The Gun Nuts

October 04, 2013

Gun Fight Friday: 7mm Magnum Showdown

By Phil Bourjaily

This week’s Gun Fight pits two 7mm mags against one another. We have Jason Moore’s 7x61 S&H vs Tom Govin’s Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. The 7x61 S&H was loaded by Norma and rifles for it were sold by Denmark’s Schultz and Larson, but it was a loser in the 7mm mag “format wars.” Of course the 7mm Remington Magnum was the big winner.

Both of these rifles have nice family stories. Moore’s was built by his grandfather, while Tom Govin’s 700 has been loaned out to the entire Govin clan to fill their freezers. One is pretty, one is not. Here they are:

Tom Govin’s Model 700

This is a Remington 700 in 7mm mag. It's from the first years of production with the stainless barrel. I glass bedded it in a Kevlar stock dug out of Cabela's returns and topped it with a Leupold 2-7 vx II and Redfield mounts.  Someone removed the blueing and the barrel was shiny so one boring day I got after it with bow paint as a temporary fix. That was about 25 years ago. This is my loaner rifle and six nephews and a couple other people have used it to take a truckload of deer and half a dozen elk including a massive 7x7. I used it on a B&C Caribou but it's seen a lot more use in the hands of others than in my own. Nephew #3 named it "The Assassin" and claims it shoots itself and whenever it goes off there's meat on the ground. The goal was a rugged rifle. It worked. This rifle has never lost zero and it has had its share of abuse.

Jason Moore’s 7x61 S&H

7x61 S&H with a 2.5x8 Bushnell Scopechief IV. Wonderful hunting rifle. One of the early 7mm mag cartridges from the 50's that got beat out by Rem 7 mag due to supply and demand. It is just as effective as any other.  Custom rifle made by Jay Moore of McAllen,TX. I use it for hunting. It was made my my grandfather for his best friend sometime in the early 70's. This rifle has been on expeditions throughout Texas, British Columbia, and Africa. It's partial to sheep.

“It’s partial to sheep” is one of the most wonderfully understated lines I have read in a long time. If you think for a minute about where sheep live, Jason Moore’s rifle has likely seen a lot of hard use despite its custom good looks. On the other hand, it’s pretty hard to argue against a Remington 700 in 7mm Remington Magnum, especially one named “The Assassin.” This is Gun Fight Friday so you are welcome to make your case for either rifle. And,  keep sending in gun pictures to FSGunnuts@gmail.com.

from RJ Arena wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

I never shot a 7 mag, but I do love the look of Jason's rifle, a classic.

from ALJoe wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

I know there not as practical but I am a sucker for a sexy wood grained stock. I have an A-Bolt in 7 Mag that I love. I haven't named it yet but it seems like everytime I carry it out I run across hogs. Any good ideas for a name?

from jhjimbo wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

The Remington 700 7mmRemMag. I have had one and they are truly 'assassins'.

ALJoe,
How about the 'baconator'

from Longrifle wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

The 700 looks like a rifle perfect for function. But I too am a sucker for a pretty piece of wood. Love the stripe in that buttstock. No comparison, the 7x61.

from dtownley wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

280 Ross - 7MM Mashburn Mag if its case will hold 57 to 67
grains of recomended powder for reloading, belted, rebated, semi-rimmed cases, and 7mm/.284, load up and go get'em.
Used a 7mmRM for 30+ yrs ain't found nothing to complain about other than price of ammo and when you make it,(roll your own) even less.
7BR, 7-08RM, 7X57M, 280RM, 284WIN, 7STW, there is a bunch of them...I personally load MY 7Mag with 139gr Hdy SP, attain 2950fps, and them dead deer never asked what was that ?
Me and green ain't seeing things the same so you can't get hurt with a Sharpe & Hart 7mm but a question is that 7X61 a Mauser or Sako action not that it makes to much difference ?

from dtownley wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

ALJoe- Ham Maker

from FirstBubba wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

First. I like off beat cartridges.
Second. I like walnut and blued steel. (though that wood looks kinda like mesquite! Jason?)
Third. Personally? I think the 7mm Rem Mag is overrated.
Not that the 7Mag is a "bad" round. Just overrated.

from Treestand wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

The Remington is Nice but the Wood on the 7x61 S&H is out of sight! I luv good wood is my pick.

from Proverbs wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

Both have good stories; The Assassin's is not as pretty but certainly more colorful.

Thanks for sharing! They are both winners.

from huntslow wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

Can I vote twice? A custom gun with nice wood made by grandpa is hard to beat and no one else in camp has a 7X61. But the 700 has home camo, the same scope as I use on my big game gun and ammunition is everywhere (well maybe not in the current "crisis")

from Mark-1 wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

Go with the 7x61 S&H. Both great rifles bearing great stories, but I'm drawn to custom rifles especially in great calibers that demand custom work to spec. Thus my pick for the S&H.

from MReeder wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

No contest for me. like ALJoe, I'm a sucker for finely figured wood stocks and the fiddleback on that buttstock is a knockout. Could do without the whiteline spacers, the Monte Carlo and the radical pistol grip but it's still a beautiful rifle. The 7X61 S&H is also an interesting caliber with some history behind it, so that's a selling point as well. I'll readily admit 7 Mag ammo is easier to find in the boonies and I would certainly be more willing to lend out the 700, but this is one case when beauty carries the day.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

Yep, the WOOD STOCK one got my vote, too!

from Tim Platt wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

A custom rifle in an obscure caliber vs a Remington 700... I have to go with the uniqueness of the Sharp & Hart 7X61 in a pretty stock every time, even though I can't even find any ammo for it on the world wide web... Everyone already has a 700 in their closet, the other gun is unique.

The first thing I wondered was what kind of action is this? I figured Mauser they all seem to be but dtownley said it could be Sako so it made me think.

And this is another one where if I had to take one home it would be the custom, but if I was in the woods I would want the Remington and Leupold. It is a hard combination to beat. No wonder everyone in the family uses it.

from Jim in Mo wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

Jason's rifle is beautiful but what caliber is it? I'm not sure if I should vote for looks, or practicality.
What the hell, going for looks but doing the internet to find this obvious Euro cartridge.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

I also am not a big fan of the 7mm magnum. But I have a soft spot for workhorses. Too bad the Model 700 received the paint job. The S&H is too pretty for me. I can't be bothered with worrying about dings and scratches when I'm hunting. It just detracts from the experience of the "chase." I cast my vote for the extended family meat-getter.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

Beauty vs. practicality! Too bad neither quite measure up to the performance of the 7mm magnum that pre-dated both cartridges.

from Clay Cooper wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

What I love most about the 7mm Rem Mag, it makes beautiful 338 Win Mag brass

from Clay Cooper wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

7mm Rem Mag? Just a 264 Win Mag punched out to 284 caliber!

from Michigan Gunner wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

The 7 Mag. for sure. I have one I bought new in 1977. I glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel. That brought groups down to 1 inch at 100 yds., sometimes less.
I shot my first buck with it. It still use when hunting the fields on nasty days. The scope is a Redfield 3X to 9X bought at the same time. I have thought of getting a newer scope but the old one still works so well!

MG

from RandyMI wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

The 7x61 is a beauty but both of these rifles could benefit from an upgrade in glass.... The newer offerings in 4-14 sound about right.

from RandyMI wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

ALJoe--- How about Pork Pounder!?

from haverodwilltravel wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

Just not a fan of the 7mm Rem Mag. round.

from RandyMI wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

WA Mtnhunter--- What would that earlier 7 mag. be???

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

Randy,

7mm Weatherby Magnum was introduced in 1944. 7mm Sharp & Hart ~ 1950's. Big Green in 1963.

Just got done loading a box of 150 gr TTSX.

from Tim Platt wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

A lot of "not a fan of the 7mm Remington Magnum" comments out there. Count me in.

from Smallbore wrote 28 weeks 16 hours ago

I have always loved the 7mm Rem. mag. The first one was a Ruger No.1. It was a beautiful gun and very accurate. Took my first 6x7 Elk with it. Then a big 4 point muley at 365yds, one shot. It got burned up in a fire.
My next one was/is a Rem. Sendero II w/Leupold Mark 4, 4.5-14 x 50 scope. It is a tack driver! I also have a Savage standard weight. Very good shooting gun.
Obviously, I'll take the Rem. 700 any day!
Oh, I only use factory ammo. Never got around to setting up my reloader. :-(

from Smallbore wrote 28 weeks 16 hours ago

Obviously, I'll take the Rem. 700 any day!
Oh, I only use factory ammo. Never got around to setting up my reloader. :-(

from Smallbore wrote 28 weeks 16 hours ago

Sorry about the double post! :=p was taking so long to post I hit the "submit" button again.

from O Garcia wrote 28 weeks 6 hours ago

WAM,
True. Why Warren Page never championed the 7mm Weatherby, we'll never know.

Remington has a history of introducing watered down rounds, especially those that started as wildcats. .25-06, .22-250, .35 Whelen, 8mm Rem. Mag. (not really that different from .300 Weatherby). And 7mm Rem. Mag.

The .416 seems to be immune to this disease, but it is a niche round.

On the other hand, John Wooters opined that the 7mm Rem. Mag shoots .30-06 weight bullets at .270 Winchester velocities, not a bad ballistic place to be.

If the 7 mag is not your cup of tea, then we can all throw practicality out of the window. You'll never find many Schultz and Larson rifles, especially in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. I'd pick that one. Even better if its big brother, a Schultz and Larson in .358 Norma Mag (same power level as .375 H&H), is available.

from O Garcia wrote 28 weeks 6 hours ago

WAM,
True. Why Warren Page never championed the 7mm Weatherby, we'll never know.

The .416 seems to be immune to this disease, but it is a niche round.

from O Garcia wrote 28 weeks 6 hours ago

sorry for the double post.

from O Garcia wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

checked Norma's international site (norma.cc) and they don't have the 7x61 S&H. they have other hard-to-finds including the .22 Savage Hi-Power, the new Blaser magnums, the various Nitro-Expresses, .500 Jeffery and .505 Gibbs (major recoil!) but no 7x61. That is sad.

from kudukid wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

Just an aside...

Those early stainless steel "Remington" 7mm Mag barrels were made (button rifled) by Hart Barrel Co. Tere weren't many of them.

Remington's designers at first thought their 7mm Mag would be too tough on their typical barel steel and got Hart to make those early barrels. Not long afterward they realized they didn't need the special steel.

from O Garcia wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

Kudukid,

wow. Hart barrels. those early Model 700's must be really good shooters.

from Safado wrote 27 weeks 5 days ago

I'll go with beauty over practicality. I'm choosing the wood with the unavailable cartrige over the Rem 700.

from Clay Cooper wrote 27 weeks 5 days ago

The #1 problem I've witnessed with the 284 cal's is using to heavy of a bullet. 175 grain on deer is way to heavy, 150 or less, I'd would use a 120 grain flat shooting and fast!

from Jpscooter wrote 26 weeks 4 days ago

@dtownley-Mauser action.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

from RandyMI wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

from jhjimbo wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

The Remington 700 7mmRemMag. I have had one and they are truly 'assassins'.

ALJoe,
How about the 'baconator'

from FirstBubba wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

First. I like off beat cartridges.
Third. Personally? I think the 7mm Rem Mag is overrated.
Not that the 7Mag is a "bad" round. Just overrated.

from huntslow wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

Yep, the WOOD STOCK one got my vote, too!

from Clay Cooper wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

What I love most about the 7mm Rem Mag, it makes beautiful 338 Win Mag brass

from Clay Cooper wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

7mm Rem Mag? Just a 264 Win Mag punched out to 284 caliber!

from haverodwilltravel wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

Just not a fan of the 7mm Rem Mag. round.

from RJ Arena wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

I never shot a 7 mag, but I do love the look of Jason's rifle, a classic.

from ALJoe wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

from Longrifle wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

from dtownley wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

280 Ross - 7MM Mashburn Mag if its case will hold 57 to 67

from dtownley wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

ALJoe- Ham Maker

from Treestand wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

from Proverbs wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks for sharing! They are both winners.

from Mark-1 wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

from MReeder wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

from Tim Platt wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 28 weeks 2 days ago

from Michigan Gunner wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

MG

from RandyMI wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

ALJoe--- How about Pork Pounder!?

from RandyMI wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

WA Mtnhunter--- What would that earlier 7 mag. be???

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

Randy,

Just got done loading a box of 150 gr TTSX.

from Tim Platt wrote 28 weeks 1 day ago

from Smallbore wrote 28 weeks 16 hours ago

Obviously, I'll take the Rem. 700 any day!
Oh, I only use factory ammo. Never got around to setting up my reloader. :-(

from Smallbore wrote 28 weeks 16 hours ago

Obviously, I'll take the Rem. 700 any day!
Oh, I only use factory ammo. Never got around to setting up my reloader. :-(

from Smallbore wrote 28 weeks 16 hours ago

from O Garcia wrote 28 weeks 6 hours ago

WAM,
True. Why Warren Page never championed the 7mm Weatherby, we'll never know.

The .416 seems to be immune to this disease, but it is a niche round.

from O Garcia wrote 28 weeks 6 hours ago

WAM,
True. Why Warren Page never championed the 7mm Weatherby, we'll never know.

The .416 seems to be immune to this disease, but it is a niche round.

from O Garcia wrote 28 weeks 6 hours ago

sorry for the double post.

from O Garcia wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

from kudukid wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

Just an aside...

from O Garcia wrote 27 weeks 6 days ago

Kudukid,

wow. Hart barrels. those early Model 700's must be really good shooters.

from Safado wrote 27 weeks 5 days ago