The Blackhawk! Diversion Bag: Hide Your Guns From Thieves (And Haters) On Your Way To The Range

The Gun Nuts

November 07, 2013

By Phil Bourjaily

Blackhawk!’s new Diversion Bags are gun cases shaped like gym bags, backpacks, messenger bags and racquet cases. The idea is that you can carry your gun to the range and back without people knowing what’s in the bag, so as, in some cases, not to offend their urban sensibilities and, in other cases, to keep people from stealing your guns. The line was originally developed for undercover law enforcement officers but now Blackhawk! (yes, it is spelled with an “!”) is marketing them to civilians.

It’s a good idea for those of us worried about our guns falling into the wrong hands. There have been a lot of times when I wished the gun cases in the back of my car didn’t look like they obviously held guns that might attract thieves. As you can see, my AR – which is long with a 20-inch barrel and a scope – just fits into the racquet bag broken down. Smaller rifles, like short M4 carbines, fit inside in one piece. Of course, I need something long for shotguns – maybe a golf bag? I like the idea of the gym bag most of all, because someone might take a racquet bag (I am reminded of the story of people who disposed of their trash during an NYC garbage strike by gift wrapping it and leaving it in their unlocked car) but who is going to break into a car to steal a bag they think contains sweaty gym clothes?

from shane wrote 23 weeks 1 day ago

Soft-sided guitar cases fit most guns, except for those with long receivers (pumps and autos) and 26"+ barrels. Those will fit in a case for an electric bass guitar.

from crm3006 wrote 23 weeks 1 day ago

I see no need to "disguise" my guns to keep from offending anyone's delicate sensibilities. Get over it. As to theft, no system has ever been invented that will deter a determined thief, just hope you get lucky and get a clear shot.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 23 weeks 1 day ago

What size does it take for a Swedish Carl Gustav M/45 ?

from Tim Platt wrote 23 weeks 21 hours ago

When people start trying to hide the fact that they own and transport guns, it just makes me want to do the opposite. I am not a lemming, I will not jump over the cliff....

I own gun cases that proudly display what weapon is inside. 10/22 case, Remington 700 case, etc...

Criminals will steal anything and everything if they think they can sell it for another crack rock. I am not hiding from low life sub-humanoids. I am standing tall and proud and daring someone to ph*ck with me. What is happening to our way of life when we have to pretend to be something we are not?

from FirstBubba wrote 23 weeks 13 hours ago

Ditto '06 and Tum P!
If you're offended by my guns, just don't look! ....or you just don't appreciate "fit & finish"!
Steal my guns?
Best address your Maker! I'M sure not going to show you any mercy!
PC my left hind leg!

from BigJim wrote 23 weeks 12 hours ago

Last year someone stole a handgun from my neighbor's pickup and then stole my gym bag to carry it home.

I lost my favorite t-shirt and the perp was able to plead down from felon in possession to misdameaner vandalism!

from deadeyedick wrote 23 weeks 11 hours ago

"OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND" Leaving any kind of bag in you r vehicle in plain sight is just asking for it to be stolen.
Better to be prepared if your guns get stolen, like having serial numbers, firearm insurance, etc. Would I shoot someone I found breaking into my vehicle ?? NO, unless said person was threatening my life. I do not relish the idea of spending a great deal of time in prison for some low-life A-hole

from The_UTP wrote 23 weeks 9 hours ago

These would be GREAT for certain parts of California. Nothing against the "stand proud" folks, but I'd rather not be hassled in the big cities. It'd also be great for breaking down my 20-gauge so I can sling it over my shoulder and ride a dirt bike to some good quail spots. 50MPG baby!

I still don't think it'd stop anyone from stealing your gun, though. If people break into a car to steal a $100 stereo they'll probably break into it for tennis rackets or golf clubs, too.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 23 weeks 8 hours ago

Great! Now I can crap myself every time I see some spooky dude carrying a gym bag in the mall.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Safado wrote 23 weeks 7 hours ago

I'm really not worried about someone stealing my rifles. They pretty much go from the safe to the car to the range or field and straight back. However I do live in the great state of California and I'm with The_UTP I just don't need the hassle.

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 22 weeks 6 days ago

What type of AR is that Phil?

from philbourjaily wrote 22 weeks 6 days ago

Dallas A. McWhorter -- it's a built-from-parts AR. 20-inch Shilen barrel, Wilson Combat trigger, Spike's lower, Magpul stock, YHM sights and rings.

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 22 weeks 6 days ago

I have now had both David E. Petzal and Phil Bourjaily respond to my questions, and my name has been in an issue of Field and Stream, I think I can now die a happy man.

from Hassan Abdul-Wahid wrote 22 weeks 6 days ago

I live in LA. I carry my shotguns in soft cases from my home to my car to the field. Sometimes passersby stop me and ask me if I'm carrying a gun. I say, "Why yes, I'm going hunting," and I go on about my business. If they want to talk, I'll talk and if they don't, I won't. No big deal. Same thing happens when I stand in my driveway and shoot arrows back down the driveway at my target. I think it's always better to be open, honest, and proud of what you do as that usually makes people more comfortable with you or they just steer clear.

from schizuki wrote 22 weeks 5 days ago

"The line was originally developed for undercover law enforcement officers but now Blackhawk! is marketing them to civilians."

Law enforcement officers ARE civilians. I know they tend to forget that fact.

from FirstBubba wrote 22 weeks 5 days ago

Honk

I guess passing a Gold's Gym in a mall setting would render you catatonic! LOL!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 22 weeks 4 days ago

I was being facetious. I live in the land where everyone carries hockey bags. A spooky dude could carry a truckload of guns into a mall in one of those things and no one would even blink.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from 99explorer wrote 22 weeks 3 days ago

If you place your guns in your vehicle while in your garage and take them out at the range, the only people who will see them are other shooters.
This may not work as a solution to someone who lives in an apartment or condo, and who takes public transportation.

from tleichty1989 wrote 22 weeks 3 days ago

Pretty cool idea. Im not sure I would ever purchase one. If I carry my weapon in my car it is typically secured whether the car is locked or unlocked. They may be able to break into my car but they will not be able to access the weapon system.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 22 weeks 3 days ago

99explorer: Check the statistics. Most burglaries are committed by persons known to the victims. Neighbors, relatives, and "friends" from the range.

Always be careful about who knows when you're going on vacation. Kids are the worst conduit for this breach of security. They talk to their friends who talk to their parents, etc. Soon everyone knows when you're leaving and when you'll return.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Jeffrey Burden wrote 21 weeks 6 days ago

I carry my weapons in the case for them. If they ask is Is that a gun. I honestly answer yes. They now know in his house .That guy has guns .I would prefer someone would think that.In my eyes he may think he may have more than the one.Just one man's idea

from jesse29 wrote 21 weeks 1 day ago

I like the idea my nabors always give me strange looks when I am putting a gun in or ramoveing one from my car.

from jesse29 wrote 21 weeks 1 day ago

from crm3006 wrote 23 weeks 1 day ago

from Tim Platt wrote 23 weeks 21 hours ago

from deadeyedick wrote 23 weeks 11 hours ago

from FirstBubba wrote 23 weeks 13 hours ago

Ditto '06 and Tum P!
Steal my guns?
Best address your Maker! I'M sure not going to show you any mercy!
PC my left hind leg!

from BigJim wrote 23 weeks 12 hours ago

from Hassan Abdul-Wahid wrote 22 weeks 6 days ago

from schizuki wrote 22 weeks 5 days ago

Law enforcement officers ARE civilians. I know they tend to forget that fact.

from shane wrote 23 weeks 1 day ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 23 weeks 1 day ago

What size does it take for a Swedish Carl Gustav M/45 ?

from The_UTP wrote 23 weeks 9 hours ago

from Safado wrote 23 weeks 7 hours ago

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 22 weeks 6 days ago

What type of AR is that Phil?

from philbourjaily wrote 22 weeks 6 days ago

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 22 weeks 6 days ago

from FirstBubba wrote 22 weeks 5 days ago

Honk

I guess passing a Gold's Gym in a mall setting would render you catatonic! LOL!

from 99explorer wrote 22 weeks 3 days ago