Is Duck Dynasty Good for Hunting?

The Gun Nuts

December 09, 2013

Is Duck Dynasty Good for Hunting?

By Phil Bourjaily

What is the effect of Duck Dynasty's runaway popularity on hunting? On a few of the waterfowl boards I lurk, people are quick to point a finger at all the new DD-inspired hunters who have just now taken up the sport. They are the ones to blame for skyblasting, bad calling, poor manners in the marsh, and long lines at the boat ramp. Me, I wonder if that's true. It's not as if those aggravations didn't exist before the show went on the air in 2012. There has been a slight uptick in duck stamp sales lately, I'm told, but I'm not sure how much credit Duck Dynasty can take.

I also read that Duck Dynasty is bad for our image because it makes people think all duck hunters are rednecks. I don't think so. Since I don't have a real job I've been mistaken for a lot of things—"college professor" is the most common—but no one looks at me and thinks "redneck." Besides which, from what very little I have seen of the show (our cable is so basic we call it "Amish cable" and we don't get A&E) it's obvious that while the Robertsons are being themselves, they're also playing a part, and the show is as much sitcom as it is reality, and the family is in on the joke.

I think the popularity of Duck Dynasty helps improve our image a little bit, or at least, it gives non-hunters a better understanding of what we do and why. It gives them a way to relate to us.

Take this conversation I had with my mechanic last week. When the door latch on my Jeep broke the other day I dropped it at the shop and Dave gave me a ride home. Dave doesn't hunt at all but he knows I do. He asked me how my season was going.

I said dove hunting had been very good. Since dove hunting is new to Iowa, when you mention it to non-hunters, a lot of the time you have to field questions like "Do you eat those?" or, "What do you want to shoot those little things for? There's no meat on them." What I didn't count on was that Dave has become a Duck Dynasty fan.

Dave said: "Doves? Those are hard to hit. They talked about it on Duck Dynasty. Do you watch that?"

"Uh, no. I've seen part of it once. I know who the Robertsons are."

"Well, Jase, that's Willie's brother, you know, Willie is the one that runs the company, anyway, Jase says doves are the filet mignon of the sky."

I said Jase was right, they are good eating, then we talked for a while about how I cook doves. We wouldn't have had that talk if it weren't for Duck Dynasty, so based on that, I'm saying the show is a net positive for hunting's image.

from RJ Arena wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

I agree. Look, the show is silly, but it is based on a family that eats together and prays together. Considering all of the other stuff on TV, and all of the anti-hunter cr@p we are bombarded with, I think it is a positive influence.

from RJ Arena wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

from huntslow wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

Willie has a college degree in business and grew his dad's business to what it is today. They play the role of course. As noted above, they are much better role models than most of TV. I have had great conversations with non-hunters due to DD!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

It's just a TV show that is quite entertaining. I was shooting greenheads before Duck Commander even started. Probably an up tick in Tupperware tumbler sales.... Jack!

from Koldkut wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

The recent uptick in Duck Hunting can be pointed at them in the same way that a river runs through it inspired people to take up fly fishing. It is an entertaining show, but I think it's starting to become over-saturated.

from RES1956 wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

Duck Dynasty is different, open displays of traditional family values (rare in programming now), sibling rivalry without murder, questionable work ethic (common), and a whole lot of funny foolishness showcasing staged stupidity. I really don't think it portrays hunters as rednecks, I know a whole lot of rednecks that don't hunt. All in all, I don't think it hurts the hunting community.
The clothes one wears to work do not alone indicate a red neck. I know a lot of 'closet rednecks' who wear $1000 Armani suits to work monday thru friday, yet come saturday during hunting season or a hunt test weekend, the camo comes out. The closet rednecks are the ones you have to worry about, I know, for I was one for 30 years,,,

from Tom-Tom wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

Based on the amount of licensed merchandise you see nearly everywhere you look, that family must be making a killing off of the business. They are the epitomy of the American Dream. For all the money they get for wearing a beard and letting people laugh at them, where do we go, Phil, to sign up. And by the way, the patriarc of the clan earned a Masters Degree before he ever started the Duck Commander business.

from bscrandall wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

I agree. The show not only introduced new hunters to the sport, but has changed the way that 'yuppies' view us.

from MReeder wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Agree with with those who think DD is a net positive for hunting. There is no such thing as "reality" TV of course. Nothing on TV is "real" because the process of producing and broadcasting anything makes it artificial. DD is a television show like any other and the Robertson's readily admit that stuff is recreated for the camera. What does appear to be real, though, is the genuine regard the Robertsons have for each other and their fellow man and country. They also seem to be true to themselves. As goofy as some of them are I know that I grew up with guys exactly like them, and some of them were and still are my best friends. They will give you the shirts off their backs if they think you need them and they own a sense of integrity you won't find in Washington or the halls of academia. They are also a helluva lot smarter than they let on. Personally, I'd MUCH rather be governed by the Robertsons than the Yale and Harvard faculties combined.
When non-hunters see people they've grown to like and trust hunting together as a family and eating the food they harvest it blows away the lies spread by the antis. I was a late-cover to the show but I'm now a regular viewer. And Phil, you really ought to watch more than one episode. You are missing some really funny stuff.

from MReeder wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Oops! Make that "late-comer" to the show. Computer keys are tricky things...

from crm3006 wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Haven't watched that much of the show, but did see the episode about the frogs. Now that was funny, I don't care who you are. If that ain't funny, you are either a communist or a canajan. So who cares if the Robertsons are rednecks? It is all tongue-in-cheek, anyway. They may actually be a positive influence.

from buckstopper wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

I have been lead to believe Phil Robertson was an English professor at NLU, which would explain his well versed vocabulary on the show. However, I am somewhat turned off by all the cheap commercialism that Willie has turned into. All you see in Wal-Mart is DD stuff...rather crass...but they are milking it for all they can, its the American way. What ever happened to brand loyalty. Phil used to be sponsored by Browning...they gave him his start making videos. Then Benelli came along and sponsored the Duck Commander Show on the Outdoor Channel. Now that they have dropped Benelli as a sponsor you see Phil back hunting with his old A-5. It used to be entertaining because I grew up doing some of those crazy things like frog hunting..not giging..catching them by hand, fishin in the old jonboat for drum, buffalo and catfish, sittin in a mud hole shootin' ducks, etc. Now its just getting too silly trying to find something to make a show about.

from RockySquirrel wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Those guys are making fun of the snotty superior types who are making fun of the regular God and Country, pay your taxes, raise your kids, hunt on Saturday and go to church on Sunday types, who don’t lie cheat or steal. They better represent whats good about America then most of the other clowns on TV.

I don;t watch TV but have found that you sometimes can rent their videos and they are funny.

from ITHACASXS wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

I don't have cable, but I have watched the show and I do like it. Like Phil B., I know a lot of people that don't hunt but love the show. That's great. The best part is they cook and eat everything.

from buckstopper wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Find the Duck Commander hunting videos, they are good.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

I read a book on them, and the family has an interestubg backround.Humble beginnings, but as mentioned here raised with faith and respect to family. Not a bad image for hunting at all! By the way phil, I have BBQ`d Dove breasts(low & slow heat not grilled)with misquite wood/smoke and brushed with drawn butter and seasoned salt.

from jhjimbo wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

I like the idea of a lot of non-hunters watching the show. Softens the image of hunters with guns and beards in camo outfits shooting things that don't shoot back and using what they shoot.
Let them have their 15 minutes, I think it has a net positive effect for the shooting sports - we need all the positive PR we can get.

from ejunk wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

I've been watching various incarnations of duck commander entertainment for about 10 years now. they're nice people - funny, entertaining, down to earth. I think they're good for hunting. on the other hand, talk about over-saturation... every wal-mart in the country is bursting at the seams with Duck Dynasty merchandise. at some point these fine folks are going to jump the shark and be left holding the bill for all those unsold gee-gaws. willie always came across as savvier than that, so I can't help but wonder if they've lost some control over their brand.

from jjas wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

I don't see how "Duck Dynasty" could hurt duck hunting (or hunting in general).

If anything it shows how families/friends get together and not only hunt but eat what they take.

from MattM37 wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

I can't quite agree with the overall "net positive" assessment. I think they just about break even. They do some things that really don't make hunters look very good at all, like emptying a semi-auto .22 into a beaver dam without being able to see the animal, taking potshots around camp that endanger others, etc. Even if it is the idiot Si doing an idiotic thing, it still shouldn't be overlooked.

from CL3 wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Overall, positive. It's my 3 year old daughter's second favorite show. She LOVES to watch it, and if it's something other than BS cartoons that she can watch with ME, WINNER-WINNER. Happy Happy Happy.

Slight over saturation with products / merchandising though.

from HogBlog wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

I can't stand the show and won't watch it, but it's hard to deny the visibility those guys are giving hunting, and I think most of it is quite positive.

They do play up the redneck angle, but they're playing it all the way to the bank. Would I do the same if I had the opportunity? Probably.

from Marion Johnson wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Southerners have been playing dumb redneck since before the Civil War to take smart people's money. Phil Robertson is very smart as are his sons. People who know them say they are unaffected by the "fame" and are just as polite and nice as they seem on the show. Recently saw where a couple from Sweden ( 'er wunna them ferign countries) was touring the us by car and made a trip to the DD store in West Monroe. I have been surprised at how many non-hunting women have told me they love the show.

from Mark-1 wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Strikes me the visual is: ZZ Top Goes Hunting. Duck Dynasty Clan are dumb as foxes.

Anti-hunters must have a hissy fit over the show.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

Koldcut: I remember watching the River Runs Through It movie with my wife. When we left the theatre she said "That was really something!" I responded "Yes, it's the death knell for the Montana I know." How prophetic! Within two years everyone wanted to move to Montana for their piece of the Last Best Place. The places that were the best are now covered over with cheezy tourist traps and five acre ranchettes (complete with ten horses eating their own turds). Can't cast a fly on the "blue ribbon waters" without hitting a float tube or rubber raft. When I was a kid a big trout would almost break your arm ... because many were about that long! Now a "big trout" is maybe twelve inches.

Duck Dynasty is a joke ... which is what it seems it's intended to be. If that's what you like then help yourself. Personally, if I want to watch something unreal I tune in to the sci-fi channel.

While in Montana for Thanksgiving I wandered into the new Cabela's. Gave the duck calls these guys make a try. I WAS NOT impressed! I note in their promotional literature that they do not claim to have won any big competitions like many call makers. Now I understand why. Are they bad calls? I'm not sure I have ever blown on a "bad" call. If they go quack, then they'll probably do the job. But some sound better than others! The Duck Commanders definitely are not leading the quack pack.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

HogBlog: Speaking for myself, I would NOT do it. Money never has meant much to me. It's just a pile of paper that'll buy a lot of headache and heartache. Personal integrity, now that's worth something. I have learned to despise people who demean themselves for a dollar. And I'll admit that's why I was not a very happy man working for the US government all those years!

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

Of course Duck Dynasty isn't going to be completly reality. And we can know this for a fact because Phil Robertson has said that the editors are their "arranging the scenes." He will not compromise, however, on the matter of religion. A&E once told him to either stop mentioning God and Jesus or they would stop filming, and he said "okay, stop filming." I think it's obvious who won that fight and obvious that these people do value at least one thing over money. And even though DD isn't complete reality can anyone here name a reality show that is completly reality? The answer to that is no. So I don't see why we have to go after and attack DD so much because their not.

MikeM37, explain to me how sticking the barrel of a .22 revolver into a log and firinng it is dangerous. And plus he was trying to shoot a snake which for all we know could have been a dangerous one so the argument could be made that it was actually safer in the long run.

Ontario, was that one of their factory calls or custom calls you tried? And i'm pretty sure their custom calls have won competitions.

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

And also MikeM37, if you ask me that's a pretty disrespectful way to talk about someone who served 25 years in the military. But he shoot .22s into logs so who cares about his military service right?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

Dallas: According to their website Duck Commander doesn't sell any "custom calls." I doubt they make them if they don't advertise them. You can check the write up for every call they make. No mention of winning any competitions.

from MICHMAN wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

IMHO great show and good for hunting. Family values, Christian living, hunting, humorous and entertaining. I love that it is one of the most popular shows to the youth of America. "Good Lord, thank you for another day on planet earth!" AMEN!

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

I misspoke, or, mistyped when I said "custom." I actually should have said handmade.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

Dallas, I don't see "handmade calls" on their website either. Their signature series calls come with a picture of the particular "Duckman" and a certificate of authenticity. At $250 a pop the signature calls are the top of the Duck Commander line. But still not handmade. Or, apparently, a competition winner. Try again.

from MattM37 wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

Dallas, it's actually Matt, not Mike, but anyway ... In a conversation about whether a show is good for the image of hunting, pointing out some possibly dangerous gun use is not unreasonable. But good rationalization there about the snake. As for the repeated shots into the beaver dam, that's an issue of respect for the animal as well as general safety -- again, simply something that is perfectly reasonable to point out in a discussion like this one. That being said, watch it again ... it's a little more than just shooting a .22 into a log. As for your mention of military service, that's just silly. Most veterans would be the first to say that their service does not entitle them to a free pass for questionable behavior, and if anything, they would expect a comrade-in-arms to uphold the highest standards possible. I appreciate Si Robertson's service to the United States and would thank him in person if I had the chance; I also say he should be more careful with his guns.

from Trapper Vic wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

Got to agree with OH on this one. The reality is its all staged. If some people laugh and think its hysterical then it may help them live a little longer. Its good for the SOUL!

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

First off, sorry for calling you Mike twice. I have no idea how that happened. Secondly, I wasn't talking about the fact that you questioned what he was doing with firearms, I was talking about the fact that you called him an idiot. And I only defended shooting at the snake and not at the beavers so I don't even know why you brought that back up.

OH, I thought for sure that I read somthing about them having lower grade factory calls and higher grade hand made calls but now I can't find anything that will confirm that for me so i'm going to have to conceed to you on that matter. But I know for a fact that when Phil Robetson started making his calls they won some sort of competition in which they most closly resembled a duck quack more than all the others. So even though I can't any find articles about that i'm still not going to conceed on that matter.

from OMuilleoir wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

Difficult to say if Duck Dynasty is having an effect on increased hunting. I can tell a difference though, in this year versus the past three seasons, in the numbers lining up for the poor boy draw (with myself of course).

Skybusting has always been a problem, with or without DD. Personally, I thought season one was funny - everything after is over-produced (by Willie) with a stale plot. I only hope Phil gets fed up soon and pulls the plug on the whole thing.

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

I just watched a new episode and they showed Phil shoot and then gut a wild pig while his daughter in law was flipping out watching it. Do you think showing the gore of hunting drives people away from the sport or is it better to let them know what their getting in to?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

Thankfully no one has come up with Pheasant Dynasty yet. That kind of exposure would be counterproductive. The hunting for pheasants is crowded enough as it is. But I don't think I have anything to worry about. Somehow I can't picture a bunch of hillbillies hunting pheasants as anything close to reality. Pheasant hunting has always retained an image of purity, sophistication, and clean wide open spaces. Some guys who want to look like bums meld well in a muddy messy environment like a duck slough. Maybe not so much in a cornfield behind expensive pointers. Anyway, who wants to watch a reality show about clean sophisticated people? That would be too ordinary. Too real.

from FirstBubba wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

Sometimes...! ...it ain't talent, it's how you market what you got!
For instance, Garth Brooks.
Taylor Swift. A lot easier to look at, but she's a multi millionaire and in her early 20's! Not bad!
It's about marketing, NOT reality! ...and folks are lapping it up!
Just ask Willie, Phil, Jase and Uncle Sy!

from Egg wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

Oh, Professor Phil, it appears that you have opened the proverbial can of worms... I do like the particular camo they are wearing in the photo, as it's a clever design with apparent utility.

from buckstopper wrote 18 weeks 22 hours ago

If you want a competition duck call go to Mack's Prairie Wings in Stuttgart, never heard of a competition there won with a DC call. Phil made his mark in the hunting world with his videos and his preaching. Competition calling and hunting calling aren't necessary the same thing.

from Bioguy01 wrote 18 weeks 2 hours ago

Duck Dynasty is good for hunting. The show "Chasing Tail"...not so much!

from wittsec wrote 18 weeks 1 hour ago

The only thing I have against Duck Dynasty is the amount of valuable shelf space it seems to be taking up at the sporting good stores.

from jusdane wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

DD has nothing to do with hunting. It's just another stupid show on tv where every episode is staged idiocy … attempting to be entertaining. Yes, it's great they portray themselves as very religious and family oriented, but the rest of the show is unrealistic at best.
I seriously doubt anyone with a brain believes Jase, Jeb, Si and Godwin are the ones making the duck calls when they can't complete a single one in a half hour show … not to mention no way they're handcrafting each of the calls. Just another Hollywood set.
As for Si shooting into the beaver damn … totally irresponsible. No amount of service in the United States Armed Forces is an excuse for reckless actions like this. The first rule of gun safety is never shoot at something you can't see. I have a friend who had a ricochet bullet fly through the wall of his daughters bedroom. Si could have killed somebody … unless of course they were all blanks.
DD is a great show to watch if you want to feel really smart, that's about it.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

I'm glad to see all the classy responses here on this thread. I prefer the old Duck Commander series, but see nothing that isn't positive coming out of Dynasty.
I'm PROUD the general public now understands we (duck hunters) are good, God loving, family men who are hard working, educated businessmen. We pay most of the taxes, stay with our kids, raise them on our own and love our country.
Compare that to the rest of the Rap, Hollywood, Kardashian garbage out there and I'll ride with Willie and the boys anytime.
THAN YOU ROBERTSON CLAN....you aren't that much different than my own.

from bayouwoof wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

Did sumbuddy say "dux?"

They seem OK to me!

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001491809#1...

from Mike Marcavage wrote 17 weeks 4 days ago

its seems to be a stupid show, not much about hunting, can't stand the sight of the guys and they are everywhere, as far as eating and praying together and being a happy family, well ever heard of personalities an tv personalities, I am sure things are different when the camera's are off. jury is still out on this one as still waiting for the sudden popularity and money they receive to make them show who they truly are.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Williamk8987 wrote 16 weeks 6 days ago

I think Duck Dynasty was good for hunting, along with every other "red neck" and Alaskian show out there. It is showing the general public what hunting is all about, family, friends, and ethics. It is good to see new hunters buying equipment and getting out in the fields. Yea, it can be annoying with the amount of shots they take, their awful calling, and poor tatics, but we all started somewhere. Each season a good percentage of these hunters won't return to the field next season, but some will and those hunters will get better and help the sport thrive.

from RJ Arena wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

from huntslow wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

from RES1956 wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from MReeder wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from ITHACASXS wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from jhjimbo wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from MICHMAN wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

from buckstopper wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Find the Duck Commander hunting videos, they are good.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from CL3 wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Slight over saturation with products / merchandising though.

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

from wittsec wrote 18 weeks 1 hour ago

from jusdane wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

DD is a great show to watch if you want to feel really smart, that's about it.

from RJ Arena wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

from Koldkut wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

from bscrandall wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

from MReeder wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Oops! Make that "late-comer" to the show. Computer keys are tricky things...

from crm3006 wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from buckstopper wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from ejunk wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from jjas wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

I don't see how "Duck Dynasty" could hurt duck hunting (or hunting in general).

from MattM37 wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from HogBlog wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from Marion Johnson wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

from MattM37 wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

from Trapper Vic wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

from OMuilleoir wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

from Dallas A. McWhorter wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

from FirstBubba wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

Sometimes...! ...it ain't talent, it's how you market what you got!
For instance, Garth Brooks.
It's about marketing, NOT reality! ...and folks are lapping it up!
Just ask Willie, Phil, Jase and Uncle Sy!

from Egg wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

from buckstopper wrote 18 weeks 22 hours ago

from Bioguy01 wrote 18 weeks 2 hours ago

Duck Dynasty is good for hunting. The show "Chasing Tail"...not so much!

from haverodwilltravel wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

THAN YOU ROBERTSON CLAN....you aren't that much different than my own.

from bayouwoof wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

Did sumbuddy say "dux?"

They seem OK to me!

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001491809#1...

from Williamk8987 wrote 16 weeks 6 days ago

from Mark-1 wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

Anti-hunters must have a hissy fit over the show.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago