A Long Range Pheasant Load: Winchester Rooster XR

The Gun Nuts

January 15, 2014

A Long Range Pheasant Load: Winchester Rooster XR

By The Editors

The new Winchester Rooster XR uses the same technology as the Long Beard load announced late last year. Here's how it works: the resin fills in the gaps between the pellets. When the shell ignites, the resin fractures. This process creates a tighter shooting shotshell and more pellets on target, according to Winchester.

From what we've seen, the technology it works.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 13 weeks 23 hours ago

More of the long range hunting fad! Pheasants are hunted over dogs and if the pooches are doing their job correctly, hunter should not need to be taking long shots. However, I can certainly see where this technology has a place in turkey hunting. This past season I actually did the best on pheasants shooting the crappiest loads. Using low base #6 steel shot I crumpled almost every bird that I shot at. And even on the last day, December 5th. The season doesn't get much later than that in Montana and the birds don't get much spookier than those I shot that day on federal refuge. I note that these shells are not terribly souped up ... only 1300 fps. That's interesting. Most long range pheasant loads are pumped up to nearly 1500 fps (e.g. Federal's Prairie Storm). I suspect that the epoxy buffering in the shot cup might make high velocity pressures a bit dicey with what's essentially a solid block of pellets? So what we have here is a "long distance" pheasant load designed to maintain a tight pattern out past 40 yards but barely enough oomph at that range to get the jog done? Hmmmm.

from Dangle wrote 13 weeks 21 hours ago

Hard to beat Feds Prairie Storm loads if they place 70 % of the pellets in a 40" circle at 40 yds using an IC choke! I take all shots within decent range using 1 1/4 Oz of lead in a 3" 20 ga. hull. And I pay $12.95 a box (muzzle velocity 1250 fps.) for RIO's. And I also use the Prairie Storm loads. I'm reluctant to try new loads when these work well...24 roosters this Fall.

from hermit crab wrote 13 weeks 21 hours ago

OH
While I agree with you that the ultra-distance/zombie/black rifle crazes are overrated, look at the source of these posts - SHOT show. SHOT show is about manufacturers showcasing new products.

Remington is not going to be generating interest at SHOT by showing off another run of the mill 870 Express. I love Kent Fasteel shells, but they're never going to generate the buzz that this type of show is founded on, etc. Relax and have a cold one...

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 13 weeks 17 hours ago

Hermit, I understand that "creating a buzz" is what this show has been about. I just hate to see that buzz engineered to selling long range hunting.

As a business historian I have long been fascinated with the debate over whether business responds to consumer demand or creates it. From what I have observed in my lifetime, the gun industry has usually been on the cutting edge of creating demand. I question whether it is ethical to be creating a demand for long range hunting when I, and most other responsible hunters I know, have always felt it is an ethically questionable technique.

from wittsec wrote 12 weeks 6 days ago

The resin doesn't make for much of a difference in distance, just a tighter shot pattern. This would result in better kills which always has a thumbs up from me.

from Dangle wrote 12 weeks 6 days ago

Ontario was right on his contention that the Federal Flite whatever wad cup stayed with the shot longer producing tighter patterns. I was wrong, and certain it was the other way, and so were my gun gurus in the gun dept.

from RES1956 wrote 12 weeks 6 days ago

If they do any better job than Kent Fastlead, 2 3/4" 1 3/8oz #5's, they be sumpthin,,,

from Dangle wrote 12 weeks 6 days ago

Here's one for ya. Hun hunting the other day, my dogs get birdy right out of the shoot on the other side of some tall sage. The covey is out in the CRP. I put my head down to get around, and through the Sage, and there they go headed for a big area of Sage out in the CRP a good 100 yds away. I don't see, or hear them get up, and when I look up I'm fractions of time behind. First shot on a bird I miss, and the 2nd down one comes, no glide, but not dead. My young lab that is fast races to it, picks it up, and then drops it for my older male. I get to the area, and hard to find it, but the female finds it. On the next days hunt, I go to the area we found it, and where the hun came down. I step it off back to where I shot along the Sage, and as big of steps as I can take, and it is 90 step offs. Now I will conservatively say it was hit at 70 yds. Gun and load? Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga. using a light mod choke, and 1 1/4 Oz of #5's in RIO 3" shells. Suggests also that a more open choke doesn't restrict distance.

from springerman3 wrote 12 weeks 1 day ago

I agree with Ontario Honker about the fetish for shooting long range loads at upland game birds and usually using super speedy loads to do it.
I find the standard lead loads of 7/8 oz of # 6 out of my 20 gauge ( can still find them for $ 7 a box ) will kill phasants inside 35 yards as long as I put the gun in the right place :)
My turkey load is 1 oz of copper plated # 6 in the same gauge and they drop dead as heck .... no flopping around just stone cold dead !

from Dangle wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

Springerman..If you are hunting planted birds, and can walk up on them 7/8 0z may be fine. I'm a 20 ga guy, and hunt pheasant one heckuva lot. Do yourself, and the resource a favor, and shoot 3 " shells, and 1 1/4 oz. loads. I buy mine at Sportsman's Warehouse for $12.95 a box (Rio's) If you are hunting wild pheasants.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 13 weeks 23 hours ago