New Rimfire Rifle: Ruger American .22

The Gun Nuts

January 15, 2014

New Rimfire Rifle: Ruger American .22

By The Editors

The Ruger American rifle stormed into the market last year as an accurate, durable rifle for a bargain price. For 2014, Ruger is introducing a rimfire .22 version with a variety of features that include a rotary magazine,  a fiber optic front site, a good trigger, and interchangeable butts. The gun comes in a standard version (shown in the video) and a compact version.

The best feature on this gun might be the price: $250.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

Very practical design. A breath of fresh air considering most of the goofy stuff that's coming out of SHOT this year. Leave it to Ruger to develop something "innovative" and yet sensible.

from O Garcia wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

OH,

the flippable/swappable comb is a nice touch. gives you adjustability without looking like a tacticool or Olympic target rifle, in addition to being inexpensive.

from deadeyedick wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

Will someone fix this website PLEASE

from deadeyedick wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

The Ruger American in rimfire actually came out in the latter part of 2013. It comes in 2 versions and 2 calibers. There is a 22lr and 22 magnum, with either an 18 inch barrel or a 22 inch barrel. I have seen the 18 inch vesion in 22lr but I have not see the 22 inch in either caliber. The trigger is adjustable and the gun comes with the standard 3/8ths dovetail and is drilled and tapped for weaver # 12 bases

from Tom-Tom wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

If a couple of bricks of .22 ammo came with it, I suspect that the response would be high. I DID NOT BUY a .22 rifle for my grandkids this past Christmas as none of the gun stores in the area had any and could not say when or if they would have in the near future. One store offered to give one box of ammo with a rifle but would did not have any for sale.

What say the manufacturers? Are you listening?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

A comment on ammo supplies: If you sportsmen and patriots out there do not have more than one season's supply of ammunition for all of your arms, something is drastically amiss. Forget the current administration, these have been shaky and uncertain times for more than a few years and you should be stocked up on all things important (not just hoarding). You can't depend on the store shelves to have what you need when you need it anymore. Those days are long past.

from Safado wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

Amen WAM!! I never have to buy another round of factory ammo ever. The only thing that I don't have is small rifle primers (they have been ordered and are on the way) because I just bought an AR style rifle and all of my other rifles use large rifle primers. I always have on hand a good supply of brass, powder, primers and bullets. In addition to being hard-to-find the prices for factory ammo have been going through the roof!

from O Garcia wrote 13 weeks 12 hours ago

lots of AR shooters switched to .22LR I think, when they ran out of 5.56, or money to buy 5.56. that's why the supply dried up.

unfortunately, you can't handload .22LR

from Tom-Tom wrote 13 weeks 9 hours ago

@ O Garcia...Thanks for your comment. Had not considered that fact. The going rate around here runs from $50-$80 for a brick of .22's, higher for LRHP. You do not see very much of the premium ammo for .243 and up. The shelve are stocked with 00 Buckshot for "personal defense" or "home security". Most stores would stock the 5 shot box before deer season even though it is illegal to use for deer hunting in our state. Now we see 25 round boxes of the stuff.

from Happy Myles wrote 13 weeks 6 hours ago

While prowling through the Custom Rifle Makers Guild section at Dallas SC I spied. one of the prettiest custom rifles I have ever seen. An old Winchester Model 52 , with anew barrel, action completely reworked, and a stock with a grain that brought tears to my eyes. All topped off with some of the finest, most beautiful checkering I have ever seen. Oh the price? Only $4000

from Happy Myles wrote 13 weeks 6 hours ago

It was easily the fanciest 22 Long Rifle I have ever seen

from huntslow wrote 13 weeks 5 hours ago

I have seen some great Model 52's both factory and custom. A local high end gunshop thinks the 52 is one of the best ever and has several customers that will buy them whenever they are available. New Ultra Light is also a great 22LR if you have the bucks

from focusfront wrote 13 weeks 3 hours ago

O Garcia;

Good comment. But slight disagreement. I don't know that it is strictly correct to say that shooters are turning back to the .22 rimfire, because shooters never turned away from it to begin with. The gun we are actually going to shoot is our .22. Unless I am aligning sights or trying out new ammo, the guns I shoot are my .22s. The gun every farmer and rancher owns is a .22. Every one of us started out with a .22, and may still have that gun (I do). We are hoarding (yes my friends, there is the word).22 ammo because .22 ammo is something every shooter needs, which is something you can't say of .220 Swift or 6.5 Creedmore. Bricks of .22 ammo could be a medium of exchange some day. The day may come when a pound of .22 rimfire will be worth more than a pound of silver. Or an ounce of gold.

from Tim Platt wrote 12 weeks 6 days ago

I can get .22 LR ammo, but I have to jump through hoops to do so. Truck comes into the local sports jumbostore Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and you had better be waiting outside the door at 8AM if you want any. Limit is two bricks, and they have not been getting bricks, they have been getting the Federal 325 automatch rounds which haven proven to be excellent in my rifles.

I probably have 5,000 rounds of .22 and .223 each, and no less than a hundred rounds for all my high power rifles. Probably closer to 200.

My dad's best friend was a Colonel and his rule of thumb was 1,000 rounds for every rifle in the house. I wish I had listened to him when you could buy Winchester brand 30-30, .270, and 30-06 for $8.88 at Wal-Mart all day long.

I almost bought one of these Ruger Americans the other day. It is really nice and really cheap... haven't seen any accuracy tests, but I have a feeling that dog can hunt.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

from O Garcia wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

OH,

from deadeyedick wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

Will someone fix this website PLEASE

from deadeyedick wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

What say the manufacturers? Are you listening?

from Safado wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago