Reader Questions with Eva Shockey, Part 1

The Gun Nuts

January 15, 2014

Reader Questions with Eva Shockey, Part 1

By The Editors

F&S and OL interviewed hunting legend Jim Shockey's daughter Eva Shockey in our video suite. The 26-year-old is an up-and-comer in the hunting industry and has already hunted all over the world. We tapped our readers for questions and then let the cameras roll.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

I had no idea who Jim Shockey was - goes to show you how much time I sit in front of the tube watching outdoors shows. So I went on line and checked it out. First thing that struck me was his signature black Stetson. I can tell you from extensive personal experience that cowboy hats are the ultimate useless apparel for hunting! They blow off in the wind, get caught on brush, fly off every time the gun is fired, bang into the scope when you get on the gun, and usually are too damned sweaty for any kind of genuine hunting ("genuine" being some degree of pursuit is involved). Also cowboy hats like the one he wears are about the worst thing to have on your head in rain or wet snow. Provides a nice trough for water to collect in the crown and perpetually drip onto the top of your head. Try pulling a hood up over a cowboy hat if it gets nasty out! Next I clicked on a video clip of this week's show. From the road he shoots a bongo that's standing alongside it. He and his guide do a "sneak" down the indefinitely straight road to get in range. This time Jim is wearing a red bandana instead of Stetson (I'm sure the tropical heat proved too much for fur felt headgear). But what really struck me is that he is also wearing a bright blue long sleeved shirt and white pants. Now everybody knows ungulates are not color blind and in fact see blue like it's a neon sign! Much more visible to them than for us. I don't know if this was a high-fence canned hunt but I certainly suspect the animal was not terribly wild. Like most of the outdoors hosts, Jim Shockey is all about showboating. I didn't watch much of the above video of his daughter but it really didn't look to me like that apple fell far from the tree. But at least she isn't making a shameful spectacle of herself a la Billy Ray Cyrus's daughter.

from buckstopper wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

Honk,
you are right hunting shows aren't about hunting, its strictly a marketing tool for the sponsors. Each character has to have a trademark. Having said that, what else on tv would you rather watch, someone enjoying the same pursuits as yourself, living vicariously in dreaming you could have an adventure like that someday or some of the other so called entertainment on the networks. Shockey does have one of the better shows, you should see the episodes with his father Hal and his father in law Len......especially the tributes to both of those gentlemen at their passing.

from buckhunter wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

Honker, I have been watching the show for years. Jim Shockey's Hunting Adventures is one of the few outdoor shows I enjoy. Jim is genuinely a good guy and it shows on screen. His show will remind you of the old school shows from long ago. Have met him a couple times.

from MReeder wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

Ontario Honker,
I'm not going to argue with your personal opinion about Stetson -- or western -- hats, because we all know the old saw about opinions. I will argue with your drawing any conclusions from your opinion.
I have worn and wear a variety of wide-brim "cowboy" hats for decades. It's not the only type of hat I wear -- I wear plenty of bill caps and knit hats too, esp. when I'm just sitting in a blind and it's cold. But I almost ALWAYS wear a wide-brim stetson-type hat of one kind or another when I know it might well rain or the sun is going to be beating down on me. Working cowboys do not wear wide-brim hats just for style; they wear them for function. They shade your head, keep water from pouring down your collar, keep the sun our of your eyes, and in a pinch can carry water and other stuff. It seems to me I recall a couple of fellows named Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor who almost always wore western-style hats while hunting. Maybe you know more about the subject than they did, but I kind of doubt it. There are a few other fellows down here in Texas that can back their hat preferences with a little hunting experience, too.
And buckhunter, I'm with you. Shockey's shows are two of the few I actually do enjoy. Some of the places he's been hunting will curl your hair just thinking about them. Anyone who thinks he only does "canned" hunts has not watched his shows.

from Mark-1 wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

My experience: Cowboy hats are a pain driving a car. Otherwise, a pretty useful outdoor hat.

I don't like wearing any type of hat hunting heavy brush or shooting target clays. But that's just me.

from Safado wrote 12 weeks 4 days ago

MReeder/Buckhunter,
I'm with you on this one. I don't wear a cowboy hat but I do believe Jim Shockey is the real thing. I enjoy "Jim Shockey's Hunting Adventures" and I especially like "The Professionals". Some of the places that he has hunted and the animals that he has taken are the things of dreams. I also like that they show the pitfalls of hnting; for instance when the camera man lost his footing and fell off of a ledge or the hunter that had a heart attack after shooting a bear and had to be airlifted out! I also like that he hunts as a family with his father (now gone RIP), his father-in-law and his daughter.

from Del in KS wrote 12 weeks 4 days ago

I've been a follower of Eva on facebook for about a year. She is a sweetheart and her dad seems like a good joe too. I have a Stetson that is too tight but love the hat.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 12 weeks 4 days ago

Just to clarify, I am a horseman (or was) and I still wear a big belt buckle and "cowboy hat." All the time as a matter of fact (weather permitting) except hunting. I have abandoned fancy fur felt hats (expensive and high maintenance) for the crushable wool felt variety. Keeps my noggin warm, pretty much indestructible, and looks very nice on me (or so I am told constantly). As to keeping rain from running down my neck, nothing works better for that than a hood. And they don't blow off either. Summer sun requires something broad billed (though I rarely comply but know I should) but a hot-blooded fur felt hat? Straw cowboy hats might do the job then ... but only on a TOTALLY windless day. Any breeze will send those things flying. And if an unexpected shower drops on a straw hat it's pretty much toast, permanently. Baseball cap with the option of a zip-on hood pulled over it (for either rain gear or parka) is the ticket. Not stylish but can't be beat.

As to Shockey's show, I only viewed the clip for the bongo hunt (which didn't really involve a lot of hunting as far as I could see). If he was actually expecting to "stalk" an animal, I would have thought he should be wearing something more sensible. Perhaps he only expected to shoot something from the road? Guess he could have done that buck naked and it wouldn't have made any difference. He may hunt some hairy situations but this sure didn't look like one of them.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 12 weeks 4 days ago

Del, just about any place down there that sells quality felt hats in any quantity should have a stretcher than will make that hat fit you better.

from MReeder wrote 12 weeks 4 days ago

To each his own. Never cared much for the crushable hats myself. The brim's fine for shade but isn't stiff enough to do any good against rain. Unlike a regular felt hat, crushables don't make a very good rifle rest, either. As for hoods, they have their place when it's really cold, but I never liked using them. They cut down your peripheral vision and make me feel a little claustrophobic. Down here in Texas the straw hats go on in the summer, so rain is only a problem every couple of months. When it does happen, I go inside. Final note on clothing -- yes, we now know that deer and presumably other herbivores see blue, but I wore blue jeans hunting for years before that became known and I still managed to shoot at least a couple of dozen whitetails with them on.
Saw that bongo hunt, too, and it sure looked legitimate to me. If it's the same one I saw, you had pygmy trackers leading the way through deep forest in Cameroon. There wasn't anything about it that looked canned to me. I would imagine there were about 20 hours of tape shot for every minute that ended up on screen. In fact, I've only seen Shockey go on one high fenced hunt, and it was clearly identified as such several times. That's out of hundreds of shows featuring hunts in the Yukon, Iran, Mongolia, the Amazon Basin, the Congo and just about every place in between. He's also come home empty-handed several times, and he's one of the few guys you'll see on tv who shows his misses as well as his hits.

from MReeder wrote 12 weeks 4 days ago

Safado,
Ditto on the Professionals. It's not just a great hunting show, it's a great TELEVISION show, and that comes from someone who spent 30 years in the TV business. I think that series they shot in Nepal may be one of the two or three best documentaries ever put on screen. Shockey's son is one talented producer.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 12 weeks 3 days ago

MReader, I hate using a hood unless I'm wearing a cap. The cap's bill will keep the hood oriented always to the front so you're not looking through the side of it. I also prefer not to wear a hood or anything else over my ears but Mother Nature sometimes has other ideas. I hunt in subzero temperatures frequently and often in very windy situations. I don't care for hunting in the rain but sometimes fishing is the best then. A hood is also pretty much required equipment for fly fishing in the wind, especially when using weighted flies. Otherwise you may wind up having to do field surgery on yourself operating on places you can't see. Not fun! The first week of fishing season in Alaska the wind blew up to seventy miles an hour for a solid week. All the dudes who showed up with flimsy 5 wt noodle rods and stylish short-brimmed felt hats had a bloody (and I mean bloody!) MISERABLE time. But there I was fishing away unscathed with my breathable hooded rain gear, Ducks Unlimited cap, and sturdy 8 wt rod with 9 wt line. Not pretty but I was catching fish ... really big fish too.

from MReeder wrote 12 weeks 3 days ago

Ontario Honker,
Agree with wearing a bill cap under a hood. Otherwise the hood drives you completely nuts. I've never had much problem using weighted flies in the wind, but I've never tried to fly fish when the wind was blowing 70 mph, either. When there is a good blow, I just try to shorten up my cast, go a little more side-arm and also roll cast as much as possible. FYI, I probably use hand-tied, weighted wooly boogers more than any other fly. I'm also more likely to stick out lousy weather when hunting than fishing. I've always said I love to fish, but I live to hunt. I think a big part of our different preferences is our relative distance from the equator. We can get some pretty wild weather on the extremes here in Texas, but prevailing conditions are a far cry from what you're often dealing with up there.

from Happy Myles wrote 12 weeks 2 days ago

My Cameroon Professional Hunter last June had just finished a hunt with Mr Shockey in the jungle and gave him pretty high marks. This is a professional with all kinds of experience with good hunters and bad ones. I can assure you there is no road hunting in that part of the world. Have never seen the show mentioned or any other Shockey TV episode. Have met him several times and he seems a decent sort and in good physical shape.

I use a variety of headgear, depending on terrain, vegetation, climate, temperature, and all kinds of conditions. Have even used a Beret in heavy noisy cover. Never go anywhere without a watch cap, even in Africa you never know when you may need one to sleep on a cold night. Keep one in my daypack in case I want to take a nap when elk hunting. When feasible,I prefer a cowboy hat with a soft brim so it is less noisy and does not get knocked off easily I. I feel it keeps the rain from running down my neck, I can tilt my head for sun, snow and wind protection. Most importantly I feel I can hear better with a brimmed hat. Different strokes for different folks. Also have 70 years experience wearing one, so it is second nature for me to use one. If the situation calls for a change I am not bashful in doing so. On my many trips I take a selection of headgear.
In

from scorp wrote 12 weeks 2 days ago

I wonder if you put here in the woods if she could actually get herself out.Or is she just the little prima donna made for TV.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Doug Wituik wrote 12 weeks 1 day ago

I read a lot of negative about Eva Shockey. Lots of what ifs and i bet she can't.... It my opinion that who cares. She is beautiful, and hunts aka a great marketing tool. It is inevitable that young and older women will look up to her and maybe take up hunting. Isn't that a little more important than wondering if she can hunt on her own? Putting more hunters boots on the ground in a period of history where we are loosing hunter numbers and antis are attacking and making gains everyday trumps jealousy in my opinion. If sponsors make some money in the meantime or her father books additional hunts because of her all the better. One last thing, you must remember she hasn't been hunting as long as a lot of us (myself 33 years) and would you have been a profient hunter 5 or 6 years into your career as you think she should be? Its not her fault she happens to be Jim Shockeys daughter and has the opportunities that affords.

from SL wrote 12 weeks 1 day ago

I don't watch many hunting shows, but I do like Jim Shockey's. He beats most of the other southern bubba hunting show hosts by a country mile in hunting know-how and personality too.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 12 weeks 3 hours ago

This is a good family, not unlike the Robertsons. Both have taught their kids to appreciate the outdoors.....and that....is a good thing.

from buckstopper wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago