What's a Little Recoil?

The Gun Nuts

February 18, 2014

What's a Little Recoil?

By David E. Petzal

I pass this one along for your edification. According to the text that came with the video, this is one of three .950 JDJ rifles made by SSK Industries of Ohio. This is the lightest of the trio, the carbine version, weighing in at a negligible 50 pounds. The bullets, which appear to be lathe-turned bronze, weigh 2,400 grains and are pushed at 2,100 fps by 240 grains of powder. The .950 JDJ develops 25,400 foot pounds of muzzle energy and 277 foot-pounds of recoil.

To put this in perspective, the .700 Nitro Express, which is made by Holland & Holland and is generally considered to be the largest civilian cartridge extant, fires 1,000-grain bullets at 2,000 fps with 8,900 foot-pounds of recoil and 118-foot-pounds of recoil. A friend of mine has shot a .700 offhand, and assures me that the thing is unmanageable.

Or to look at it another way, the .458 Lott, which is the most powerful sporting cartridge I know of that can be used by a sane person, shoots bullets that weigh roughly 1/5 of the JDJ slugs, develops ¼ of the muzzle energy, and ¼ of the recoil.

Enjoy, and be glad it’s not you doing the shooting.

from Amflyer wrote 8 weeks 23 hours ago

I'm glad they didn't build this rifle with a full-inch bore...that would just be overdoing it.

That benchrest setup is pretty impressive in it's own right.

from wittsec wrote 8 weeks 23 hours ago

Wow. I would have loved to see the target.

from RJ Arena wrote 8 weeks 23 hours ago

Now that is a real T-Rex gun!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 8 weeks 22 hours ago

Apparently when this video was shot there were already some known rather scary quality control issues. Note how the last guy is instructed repeatedly and with more than a little emphasis to "close the bolt slowly!" I would not want to have been the poor unfortunate injured shooter who discovered the firing pin slipped loose on bolt closing! Yeeeeiiikes!

A silly contraption to say the least. But I'm certain that's all it was intended to be.

And look at that eye relief margin for the scope. I bet they needed a GPS to find the crosshairs.

from RockySquirrel wrote 8 weeks 21 hours ago

Take that Zombies.

from LeviLittlehand wrote 8 weeks 20 hours ago

So, when does the Full auto version come out?

from FirstBubba wrote 8 weeks 20 hours ago

"Why do you shoot a .600 Nitro Express?"
"Because they don't make a bloody .700 Nitro Express!" (since rectified!)
"Will it shoot minute of angle?"
"I don't know, but it will shoot minute of rhino!"

from deadeyedick wrote 8 weeks 20 hours ago

Sure looks crazy, but I would like to shoot that godzilla of a rifle at least once

from jcmesq wrote 8 weeks 20 hours ago

Amen. Crazy. Need the hydrolic recoil pad with the pistons, at more than half the data!

from jcmesq wrote 8 weeks 20 hours ago

from Happy Myles wrote 8 weeks 19 hours ago

Why?
I mean in general why would I shoot it? I am in enough pain all ready. Recently, put my 500 Jeffery up for sale along with my 450 Ackley as I do not plan on hunting elephant again. If I need a stopping rifle I want one that is reasonably handy given its task . My 470 Nitro Express or my 416 Rigby will have to do for this old cowboy.

That thing is frightening and it is too heavy to pole my makoro

from jjas wrote 8 weeks 17 hours ago

More power to them, but I don't see the point........

from Tim Platt wrote 8 weeks 15 hours ago

You're not going to hunt with a 50 pound rifle. And the .50 BMG with a 620-750 grain projectile seems to do everything the military needs in a "small" arm. This is really just a toy I guess. It begs to answer the question of how much pain can you take. According to Dave good shooting starts with the acceptance of pain, great shooting comes with the love of pain... something like that. I hope he corrects me. Better yet I hope he posts a video of him and Phil firing this monstrosity.

from 99explorer wrote 8 weeks 14 hours ago

Who said there's no such thing as too much gun?

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 8 weeks 13 hours ago

OK what kind of groups is this rifle getting, and has it been used on game yet??

from VicF wrote 8 weeks 13 hours ago

Yeah, but how does it group? Or did anybody have enough shoulder for a three-shot group? *hehe*

from Jim in Mo wrote 8 weeks 13 hours ago

Always thought the .460 Weatherby was the most outrageous full power load for common man.

from buckhunter wrote 8 weeks 13 hours ago

I cannot see any practical use for this gun which means I'm becoming an Old Fart.

from Sarge01 wrote 8 weeks 13 hours ago

And people on here tell me my 300WSM has too much recoil.

from O Garcia wrote 8 weeks 11 hours ago

the 14.5x114mm Russian, a machinegun round, fires a 1,000 grain bullet at 3,200 fps, the same velocity as the 5.56 NATO. I think that's more impressive.

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 8 weeks 11 hours ago

This, if nothing else, explains the extinction of T-Rex, Stegosaurus, and others of that ilk. As well nourished as I may be, I do not have enough mass to fire this rifle…but I do have the good sense to delegate the task to someone else. What's a rotator cuff between friends?

from Gtbigsky wrote 8 weeks 11 hours ago

I saw this video a while ago and was obviously curious about the round. Further research indicated that this round is just slightly less powerful than a 20mm vulcan and has 10,000, yes, 10,000 more lbs of kinetic energy than the 50 BMG! Whoa! that is one hell of a rifle. I would love to see how much penetration this thing would get. Forget ballistics jell. I think steel plates are in order.

from LostLure wrote 8 weeks 2 hours ago

Why? Well,why not? Nope, Nope,and Nope. Not getting me behind that beast.

from semp wrote 8 weeks 2 hours ago

This is even dummer than the guy with the scope scarred forehead who swore by the use of his custom bull pup chambered in .50 Browning for taking deer ?

from fox4 wrote 8 weeks 1 hour ago

Next article - duck hunting with an ack-ack. Why indeed.

However, this does not dissuade my goal of taking a squirrel with my tater cannon.

from MDPete wrote 8 weeks 45 min ago

God bless America. That was awesome.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

Might as well drag out a 37mm Anti-Tank gun from a museum! Or better yet, a Mauser T-gewehr 1918 13.2mm anti-tank rifle.

from The_UTP wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

Why? Just to see if it's possible. What more reason do you need?

from Happy Myles wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

The proverbial group that is, " one ragged hole ", might be four inches in diameter.

from NHshtr wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

Ohhh, my shoulder! Why build such a thing? Because they can! (can't see any other reason!)

from MLH wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

What a bunch of whimps ... having to use a muzzle brake.

from MReeder wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

Bet Elmer Keith would have found it to be a good little varmint rifle...

from VAHunter540 wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

Hold my beer and watch this.....

from hansaskatoon wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

I recognize that thing; my chiropractor uses the same device.

from focusfront wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

To the inventors of the .475 A & M, .585 Nyati, .700 Nitro, and now this; I finally get it. If you take a really big brass case, fill it with a half-cup of powder, and put a really big bullet in it, you will have a really powerful round. Next up for me; learning to ride a tricycle.

from O Garcia wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

fox4,

the "market guns" shotguns used to wipe out the passenger pigeon were about the same size

from focusfront wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

At least some of the cockeyed .338-.378 type rounds are made for a purpose; flatter trajectory and less wind drift. And they deliver, although the cost-benefit analysis of such rounds usually has us going to 6.5 x .284s. But this big beast is too slow. It is a 200 yard round (maybe) that would be useful for snap shots at breaching Sperm Whales and little else. Sure, it's fun. And fun is good. But if I wanted fun without a purpose I'd give up shooting and take up golf. A gun without an application, even if the application is putting five bullets through one hole, seems wrong somehow.

from Dave Rohde wrote 7 weeks 5 days ago

Just begging for retinal detachment with this beast!

from vasportsman wrote 7 weeks 5 days ago

great googily moogily...

from fox4 wrote 7 weeks 4 days ago

Is the "market gun" the same as a punt gun?

Maybe that is a bit much for squirrels.

from SL wrote 7 weeks 4 days ago

The last guy held the gun all wrong, and paid the price worse than the others. I think this gun could actually stop a persons heart. People have had their hearts stopped by a blow to the chest with a fist or ball, so I have no doubt that this rifle could do the trick also!

from fordman155 wrote 7 weeks 4 days ago

What's the point of this rifle? Not only was it missing anything resembling a recoil pad, the set up for the bench had the rifle too low for the shooters to get a decent amount of their torso into the stock to lessen the recoil. To a much smaller extent, benches are not too good for shooters as they are not natural firing positions, except if you're shooting at a competition where the rest is used and then the shooters are much more comfortable with what they're doing.

from O Garcia wrote 7 weeks 2 days ago

fox4,

i think the squirrel will be able to hide in one of the barrels

from RES1956 wrote 7 weeks 18 hours ago

Not the rifle my cardiovascular surgeon recommends for me 3 months post CABG,,,,,

from zimmerlip wrote 6 weeks 6 days ago

Even Col. Charles Askins might have agreed the recoil is a little stiff... After he castigated recoil pads and shooters who needed lace on their panties...

from Hotshot222 wrote 4 weeks 6 days ago

....and now, Billy, let's see how your new rifle works on ground squirrels....

from RJ Arena wrote 8 weeks 23 hours ago

Now that is a real T-Rex gun!

from fox4 wrote 8 weeks 1 hour ago

Next article - duck hunting with an ack-ack. Why indeed.

from VAHunter540 wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

Hold my beer and watch this.....

from RockySquirrel wrote 8 weeks 21 hours ago

Take that Zombies.

from Happy Myles wrote 8 weeks 19 hours ago

Why?

That thing is frightening and it is too heavy to pole my makoro

from MLH wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

What a bunch of whimps ... having to use a muzzle brake.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 8 weeks 22 hours ago

from LeviLittlehand wrote 8 weeks 20 hours ago

So, when does the Full auto version come out?

from FirstBubba wrote 8 weeks 20 hours ago

"Why do you shoot a .600 Nitro Express?"
"Because they don't make a bloody .700 Nitro Express!" (since rectified!)
"Will it shoot minute of angle?"
"I don't know, but it will shoot minute of rhino!"

from jcmesq wrote 8 weeks 20 hours ago

from jcmesq wrote 8 weeks 20 hours ago

from jjas wrote 8 weeks 17 hours ago

More power to them, but I don't see the point........

from 99explorer wrote 8 weeks 14 hours ago

Who said there's no such thing as too much gun?

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 8 weeks 11 hours ago

from semp wrote 8 weeks 2 hours ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

from Happy Myles wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

from MReeder wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

Bet Elmer Keith would have found it to be a good little varmint rifle...

from fordman155 wrote 7 weeks 4 days ago

from Amflyer wrote 8 weeks 23 hours ago

That benchrest setup is pretty impressive in it's own right.

from wittsec wrote 8 weeks 23 hours ago

Wow. I would have loved to see the target.

from deadeyedick wrote 8 weeks 20 hours ago

from Tim Platt wrote 8 weeks 15 hours ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 8 weeks 13 hours ago

from VicF wrote 8 weeks 13 hours ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 8 weeks 13 hours ago

from buckhunter wrote 8 weeks 13 hours ago

from Sarge01 wrote 8 weeks 13 hours ago

And people on here tell me my 300WSM has too much recoil.

from O Garcia wrote 8 weeks 11 hours ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 8 weeks 11 hours ago

from LostLure wrote 8 weeks 2 hours ago

Why? Well,why not? Nope, Nope,and Nope. Not getting me behind that beast.

from MDPete wrote 8 weeks 45 min ago

God bless America. That was awesome.

from The_UTP wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

Why? Just to see if it's possible. What more reason do you need?

from NHshtr wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

from hansaskatoon wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

I recognize that thing; my chiropractor uses the same device.

from focusfront wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

from O Garcia wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

fox4,

from focusfront wrote 7 weeks 6 days ago

from Dave Rohde wrote 7 weeks 5 days ago

Just begging for retinal detachment with this beast!

from vasportsman wrote 7 weeks 5 days ago

great googily moogily...

from fox4 wrote 7 weeks 4 days ago

Is the "market gun" the same as a punt gun?

Maybe that is a bit much for squirrels.

from SL wrote 7 weeks 4 days ago

from O Garcia wrote 7 weeks 2 days ago

fox4,

i think the squirrel will be able to hide in one of the barrels

from RES1956 wrote 7 weeks 18 hours ago

from zimmerlip wrote 6 weeks 6 days ago

from Hotshot222 wrote 4 weeks 6 days ago

....and now, Billy, let's see how your new rifle works on ground squirrels....