Hook Any Severed Appendages Lately?

The Lateral Line

August 12, 2011

Hook Any Severed Appendages Lately?

By Joe Cermele

Imagine you're spending a relaxing day on the lake. Everything is going well until your lure hangs up. But lucky you...the snag pulls free. What you see on the end of your line is not a branch or clump of weeds, but a severed human foot. Then the foot comes unhooked and sinks back down to the bottom. So what happens next? If you're the young kid this actually happened to on Wednesday, you get thrown into the middle of an all-hell-breaks-loose situation.

According to this story from the Chicago Tribune, the boy and two adults he was fishing with notified authorities as soon as the foot fell off the line. As you can imagine, dive units from the sheriff's office and local fire department converged on Lake Marie in Antioch, IL. Eight hours later they found the foot (above) using sonar scans, which turned out to be nothing more than one of those cheap rubber props you can buy at Halloween mega-stores every fall. Do you think this poor kid is now scarred for life?

This reminds me of a surfcaster's tale (which I believe to be true) that has circulated on striper Internet forums for years. A guy was tossing a plug on a rough night in Jersey. He gets a "strike" and can't budge the fish. Thinking he's into the bass of a lifetime, he plays it carefully. When a wave finally rolls his catch up on the sand, he turns on his flashlight and sees his lure hooked on a woman's body that had been severed at the torso. After soiling himself, he found out it was just half a manikin that was floating in the surf. Can you imagine?

from gxx9sdb wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Ha! Good practice for the authorities I guess.

from jdwood wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

At least it turned out to be a fake foot, its still creepy either way.

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

So much for that kid fishing in water he cant see the bottom in.

from basman wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

scarred for life....get real, maybe a little nervous but not scarred but wait this is the new generation. i'm sure his parents and god only knows who else will be looking for someone to sue or blame for this. someone else will have to pay for all his therapy and he will need compensated for his emotional distress. get over it. stuff happens. at least he has a good story.

from Rick Schroeder wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Haha, It would be a great fish story to tell when he is older... Hey you remember that time I caught a severed foot! Because its a prop it makes the story funny.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Scarred for life? With all of the crap that is on tv and video games, the kid just probably looked around to make sure there werent any zombies on the shoreline.

from duane boyd 52 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

i caught two different watches in one summer a womans moon phase and a mans seiko diving watch both still worked,the day i caught the womans watch a teen caught a gun that was used in a murder two days before,the police got prints and caught the guy,some times justice prevails.

from DTR32 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

that would have been pretty wierd but funny when i found out it was a fake

from Eric Greene wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

bklogf9d0sg stop post ads to your website.

from Eric Greene wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

bklogf9d0sg stop posting ads to your website.

from huntingismylife99 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

That would totally suck. Man I feel bad for the boy.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

a friend and i found a dead body floating in a river when i was a kid. apparently it was someone who had fallen in the day before. pretty bad under currents in that river. we were fishing along the bank and when we stepped through some brush to make a cast or two, we found him at the water's edge. pretty scary situation! has dreams about that for a long time.

from pointerfish wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Fishing in the Chain he's lucky it was just a prop. Seen some interesting things in those waters.

from riverdemon10 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I have always thought about hooking into a body or something like that. It freaks me out. I remember finding a cut ski rope and the only thing I could think of when i was pulling it up was taht there was a skier at the other end...

from tneal1987 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

It always makes a good story when you catch something besides fish, I hope this peaks the kids interest in trying to catch more. I once caught a 5 Lb Rock while fishing; it is still one of my favorite stories to tell.

from sofaking2000 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

son: "Dad! I think I got a big one..."
Father: "Ok, remember what I said, reel it in slowly, I'll get the net."
son: "OH no, it got off!"
Father: "was it a big one?"
son: "Nah... I just got hung up on a limb."

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Memo to Vito and the crew:

Next time you need to dispose of someone something use a stronger rope and more cinder blocks.

The Boss

from AmericanFishFinder wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Haha that is awesome. The strangest thing I have pulled in is a big wad of line that had line extending another 100 feet past that wad of line was a fighting rainbow trout. I thought that was strange. But this would have ensured my wife would never go fishing with me again. Thanks for the post. I was just going through older posts and saw this that looked interesting.

Check out www.americanfishfinder.com for fishing reports and other fishing news for your fishing adventure.

from sofaking2000 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

son: "Dad! I think I got a big one..."
Father: "Ok, remember what I said, reel it in slowly, I'll get the net."
son: "OH no, it got off!"
Father: "was it a big one?"
son: "Nah... I just got hung up on a limb."

from gxx9sdb wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Ha! Good practice for the authorities I guess.

from basman wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from Rick Schroeder wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from Eric Greene wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

bklogf9d0sg stop post ads to your website.

from Eric Greene wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

bklogf9d0sg stop posting ads to your website.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from jdwood wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

At least it turned out to be a fake foot, its still creepy either way.

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

So much for that kid fishing in water he cant see the bottom in.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from duane boyd 52 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from DTR32 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

that would have been pretty wierd but funny when i found out it was a fake

from huntingismylife99 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

That would totally suck. Man I feel bad for the boy.

from pointerfish wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago