Tying Articulated Streamers with the Fish Skull Shank

The Lateral Line

February 01, 2012

Tying Articulated Streamers with the Fish Skull Shank

By Joe Cermele

You may recall a few months ago I ran a post about how much I just adore articulated streamers. They're pretty much all I use for trout these days. Well, after the Somerset Fly Show, I now also adore Fish Skull's Articulated Shanks. Check out the video. Fly tyers...this one's for you.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Why not tie a rear portion of the fly on a size 4 long shank streamer hook, then put that hook directly into the fish skull shank and then tie on the shank? A guy could tie the same fly on a regular hook and put the snelled stinger hook directly off the hook shank to achieve the same.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Koldcut, you can do that...tie a tail on a separate hook and link them together. I'm just a fan of the snelled version. I've tied these as you say, simply tying the mono to the eye of another hook and using the shank. However, I don't like/want double-hook flies, so rather than waste good hooks by cutting them off at the bend after the tie is complete, I'm digging these shanks.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

You say tomato, I say tomato....er, just doesn't sound the same when it's typed.....

from ckRich wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Hmmm... I hadn't seen those yet. I've got a few packets of cheap(but good quality) hooks from Wal-mart that I use for the front shank on these types of streamers. It doesn't hurt as much when you clip a cheap hook. However, I really like a lot of my double hook patterns and the action I get when connecting them with a heavy braid line.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Tell you why Koldkut, and I may be off here because I didn't read all the posts. The nice thing about an articulator, is just a need for a small "stinger" hook trailing. You get a big, lots of motion fly with not the weight of your size #4 long shank hook. Now you can cast it out there a distance. Same deal with tube flies...lighter, and easier to cast a big offering, but not as much action as the articulator. I still do not use them YET....never say never, because I feel I can still cast my streamers farther and more accurately when needed, and I will get the big predator to attack...but maybe not. I may heve to go there.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

Sayfu, I like to fish tubes, the hooks hold better IMO and the fish have no extra leverage to shake the hook.

from bassman06 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Hey Koldkut, saying "you say tomato I say mater works just as well, and everyone knows what you mean. mostly.

from timromano wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

No wonder we get along so well Cermele. You dirty dirty streamer junkie.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Looks to me like the tier is using a REGAL vice,,,good taste that tier has. I've been tying for a number of decades now with a REGAL, and just as good as when I bought it..easiest vice to use I have seen, and half the price of some. But twer I?...I'd cover up those head wraps behind the conehead with some sparkley dubbing...but that would be my choice...good lookin fly.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Go big or go home, Tim

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Bring big rod, or go home as well. Throwin a coneheaded double bunny fly ain't easy, even with an 8 wt.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Ah, come on Sayfu. 7wt will turn that fly no problemo.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

jointed flies are still beyond my realm so far. good looking fly!

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Joe..could be done with a 7 wt. I would use my 7 wt. 9.5 fter. Rabbit, when it soaks up water, gets very heavy, much more so than marabou, now you add the conehead. Chuck and duck, and wear a helmet.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Ah, come on Sayfu. 7wt will turn that fly no problemo.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

from bassman06 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

No wonder we get along so well Cermele. You dirty dirty streamer junkie.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Go big or go home, Tim

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

jointed flies are still beyond my realm so far. good looking fly!

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago