New Hook Shots: The Arkansas Trout Rampage

The Lateral Line

May 31, 2012

New Hook Shots: The Arkansas Trout Rampage

By Joe Cermele

You know, I love flyfishing for trout. Truly I do. But in reality my trout fishing roots sprouted with a spinning rod and a Panther Martin in hand. That's why when I took off for Arkansas last week to fish the White River, I was looking forward to leaving the whippy sticks at home for a change and chucking jigs and jerkbaits (and even soaking dead baits...can you believe it?) for the big browns that made this tailwater so famous. There were two things that impressed me most about this river: the shear number of trout that live in it, and the fact that an angler of any age or skill level can catch them. My buddy Alex Robinson from Outdoor Life joined me on this adventure, and in 3 days we caught more trout than we could even film thanks to veteran guide Crazy Mike Neher. Now, if you want to know whether the Outdoor Life guy or the Field & Stream guy scored the biggest brownie, you'll just have to watch and learn. Enjoy the show.

from ckRich wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

It was cool to finally recognize some of the places in one of your vids, JC. Glad you boys had a good time!

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Another goodun, Joe! Keep them coming.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Looks like fun.

from timromano wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

uh, why was I not on this trip? ;) Man that looks sick!

from jbell6826 wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

That was Flipin great!I've fished the White River and can say it's a lot of fun. Glad you enjoyed it!

from badsmerf wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Looks like an awesome streamer day down the road for me.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

At the risk of sounding soft, I have to say those fish are absolutely beautiful. Technically I have caught a one "brown trout" but it was from lake michigan so it didn't look anything remotely like the ones you guys were slaying.

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Joe, our family has held an annual trip to the White River for 51 years and we were downstream from you at the confluence of the White and Buffalo rivers while you were upstream. Pur conditions were different. The low water from decreased generation plus 90+ degree heat allowed the water to warm, which made things really tough. We caught smallmouth bass about a mile above where the Buffal enters the White. In the afternoons the dropping water levels had us locked in below the shoales. BUT, we still had a great trip, everyone caught rainbows and even a few browns in the early mornings but nothing like you caught. We saw more kayakers than fishermen. A great place to get away from it all. A #18 green scud or a fresh nightcrawler, excuse me, "garden hackle", are about all you need.

from artroutguy wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

I drove to the White River from Memphis ever since I was in high school when I fell in love the first time I saw the river (and the trout.) I moved here 5 years ago and now nearly 40 years later I still get excited EVERY TIME I go out on the river. It cannot be believed for any angler at any skill level

from rdorman wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

nice awesome hookshots!

from djp5690 wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

Nice fish!

from timromano wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

uh, why was I not on this trip? ;) Man that looks sick!

from ckRich wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Another goodun, Joe! Keep them coming.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Looks like fun.

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from jbell6826 wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

from badsmerf wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Looks like an awesome streamer day down the road for me.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago