Grow a Live, Custom-Colored Stingray and Turn It Into Sneakers

The Lateral Line

June 13, 2012

Grow a Live, Custom-Colored Stingray and Turn It Into Sneakers

By Joe Cermele

Have your old Reebok Pumps finally deflated? Did the soles of your British Knight high-tops finally wear out? Then you, my friend, may want to consider a pair of dope kicks from Rayfish Footwear. But you won't find them over at the Payless. No, these sneakers have to be grown in a fish tank.

In an utterly bizarre mix of fish farming, mad science, and weird fashion, Rayfish has figured out how to genetically alter stingrays grown in their tanks with a process called "bio-customization." You go online, design your stingray in a seemingly endless array of colors and patterns, they grow your fish, then turn it into sneakers. What I'm saying here is that the pattern you see on the shoe above was not painted on dull gray ray leather. When the ray that made those sneaks was alive and swimming, that's what it looked like. I'm not making this up. Here's what it says on their website:

At the Rayfish Footwear labs, nature has already done the design work for us. All we have to do is identify the genes responsible for color and pattern, and implant the synthetic 'supergene' cluster into fetal rays before they are born. As the ray grows and matures, it expresses the predetermined patterns on its skin.

Now, call me crazy, but shouldn't we be applying this incredible technology to, umm, curing cancer or something instead of making truly hideous sneakers? The whole thing creeps me out, but I will not judge you if these are the coolest sneakers you've ever seen and must have a pair. If you're planning to get them as stocking stuffers for the whole fam, call now because the rays need time to grow. Oh, and a single pair of Rayfish shoes will cost you $15,000 (you read that right). Act now!

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Great looking hunting and fishing boots for those that tend to violate, and have the need to avoid the long arm of the law. And if you do happen to get caught, they provide a shirt that matches your boots.

from shazam wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Fake.

from Steward wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

I don't doubt that this kind of gene therapy is possible, but I had not heard of anyone having that kind of success, yet. I think, I were crazy enough to spend $15,000 on a pair of shoes, I would do a little investigating first. Of course, if I were crazy enough to spend $15,000 on a pair of shoes...

from Renegade1 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

That seems seriously stupid. I used to have a pair of stingray cowboy boots, but not from an genetically engineered stingray. They were the most beautiful and durable boots I have ever owned. Most skins that can be made into boots that come from the sea are durable. Shark is great too.

from rdorman wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

not for me...what do they do with the sting ray meat?

from troutmad wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

I think it is real. I was thinking how cool if you could design a pair of wading to duplicate the environment where you fish. Then I read down further and saw the ticket on those baby's....$15,000.00!!!! I would'nt wear a pair of $15.000.00 footwear anywhere but is my carpeted home, with a pair of surgical booties over them. But ther are some people who can and be so frivolous to wear them in a stream. I have a friend who has a Rolls Royce store who found a Rolls convertable coupe. He had the trunk retro-fitted. It is lined with velvet, has rod racks, drawers and pockets to facilitate ones fishing needs...Oh and and a small wine cooler, racks for your wine and Waterford wine glasses! He goes out fishing in the woods. It would be no big deal for him to buy and use a pair of $15,000.00 wading boots!!

from Louzianajones wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Not for me. I'll pass on this one. I always thought $50 was excessive for a pair of shoes, but $15,000? Give me a break!

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

$50 dollars? A pair of decent hiking boots at a discount chain store now run around $150.00 You must be talking about hand me downs.

from mpeterson wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

i hope they do something with the meat. At $15,000 they better give it away.

from jakenbake wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Dag, you had me excited for a minute. I'll have to hit the lottery before I think about those shoes again...

from Ben Pottinger wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

You guys talking about how they better give the meat away need to stop and think about it for a second. Would you *really* want to eat meat that had been genetically engineered into neon colors? I'll take a pass on that meal.

from Steward wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from Renegade1 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from rdorman wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

not for me...what do they do with the sting ray meat?

from troutmad wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from shazam wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Fake.

from Louzianajones wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from mpeterson wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

i hope they do something with the meat. At $15,000 they better give it away.

from jakenbake wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago