Tarpon on a Cane Pole? Yeah, Elvis Can Do That

The Lateral Line

June 15, 2012

Tarpon on a Cane Pole? Yeah, Elvis Can Do That

By Joe Cermele

You may note that title of this video is "The Worst Fishing Scene in Cinematic History." Yes, that would be accurate. But if anyone is going to hook a big tarpon on a diaper pin and a cane pole, it's Elvis. And if anyone is going to turn a tarpon hooked on a diaper pin and a cane pole into $20, it's also Elvis. Tip of the hat to Dr. Todd over at the "Fishing For History Blog" for the find. Enjoy, and have a great weekend.

from camps764 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Maybe it's "the worst fishing scene in cinematic history" in terms of realism, but I'd argue that the overall feel and attitude of the scene is actually a pretty accurate representation of fishing...Fish are free, bait is free, hooks don't cost much... all of these people willing to pay big money to go out and fish...it's an interesting dynamic to say the least. I usually love your blogs, but I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Ha! Respectful disagreement accepted. I should have been more clear. I'm mostly speaking to the goofiness of tarpon on a cane pole and diaper pin. But you're right, Camp. The rest is a pretty good picture of the good 'ol days. You just gave me a great idea...I'm going to shoot a video and see what I can catch on a diaper pin!

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Elvis reminds me of a young Kirk Deeter...

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

A friend told me he had a friend who saw Elvis fishing just the other day, I forget where, but he said.....

from Proverbs wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

"Ain't nobody can threaten a family that's got its own private john. Nobody." - Pops.

Nice line! My, how the standards have changed.

from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

I may not be able to turn the $20, but if you gave me a cane pole, a diaper pin and dropped me off on Rt 1 down in Islamorada at Robbies I bet I could give you one hell of a story to tell. I doubt it would end well for me but it might be funny for those watching!

from larson014 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

"imagine paying money to fish"

that's they way i felt till i was about ten,then i found out that there was such a think as a license to fish! i though are you kidding me you need a license just to fish? blew my mind...

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Boy; I miss the King. uh huh.

from rdorman wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

i look forward to your video joe!

from santa wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

Do not under estimate the power of a diaper pin. I have seen what the things that they are designed to hold up can contain. I just thank the powers that be for what they can do. So if a diaper pin has been a good faithfull servant and done the job that it was assigned to do, why not give it a vacation and take it pan fishing once in a while. As to the cane pole, it is God's original composite fishing rod. Even with all the fancy rods I have used over the years, I still use cane poles occasionally. A former world champion fly caster taught me to fly cast back in the early seventies with a cane pole. I still today have a homemade surf rod made on a cane pole that I personally cut, trimed, tempered, varnished, and rigged with a reel seat along with guides. I can cast extreme distances with it and it is a blast to fight a 20# jack crevalle with. I would love to get a chance to hook a tarpon on it, but would want a little heavier hook than a diaper pin for that.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

Santa, Much like Elvis in the video, Deeter caught tarpon on a Tenkara outfit just this year. The similarity makes this video almost believable.

from bigz24bigbass wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

If anyone could get a tarpon on a cane pole, it'd be the King

from 357 wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

i'm totally gonna take my cane pole out when i go to florida next time!

from camps764 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from larson014 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

"imagine paying money to fish"

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from Proverbs wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Nice line! My, how the standards have changed.

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Boy; I miss the King. uh huh.

from rdorman wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

i look forward to your video joe!

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Elvis reminds me of a young Kirk Deeter...

from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

from santa wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

from bigz24bigbass wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

If anyone could get a tarpon on a cane pole, it'd be the King

from 357 wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

i'm totally gonna take my cane pole out when i go to florida next time!