ICAST Report: Getting Serious About Fishing Camo?

The Lateral Line

July 12, 2012

ICAST Report: Getting Serious About Fishing Camo?

By Joe Cermele

Camo patterns designed to make it harder for fish to see you aren't new. If I'm not mistaken, they first popped up on wetsuits made for hardcore spear fishermen over a decade ago. Though such patterns have come and gone among angling apparel companies, this year it seems some reputable brands are putting stock in the concept again. I was kind of shocked by some of the research and development that went into these patterns. Whether they have benefits is questionable, but I can tell you the designs weren't slapped together by the interns.

On the left is Simms' new camo pattern designed for flats anglers, though I'd imagine it could work for anyone chasing fish in clear water on a bright day. Rather than create a pixelated camo pattern, or one with unnatural shapes, Simms modeled the look after clouds and blue sky. On the right is the new freshwater camo pattern in Columbia's Amphibious Assault line. According to the company, this design, aimed at breaking up your silhouette on ponds, lakes, and rivers, was develped by the same folks that test and develop camo patterns for the U.S. Military. The Columbia shirt shown here will cost between $65 and $75.

While I have never worn any fishing camo, I always try to wear muted colors when I wade. If you're on a boat, then I don't see the point, because even if you blend into the sky or bank like the Predator, your boat doesn't. So here's my take: much like retying your knot after every cast, fishing camo might be overkill, but I guess it can't exactly hurt your chances either. Thoughts?

from WilliamM wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Fashionable, but probably unessecary.

from TM wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

A fool and his money are easily parted. These should catch a lot of fishermen, but regrettably few fish.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

I've proven it does matter in some situations, like wooded banks. Otherwise, it matters little. I won't be spending $65 when a brown tee does the job just as well.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Woodland camo works great on small brook trout stream.

from badsmerf wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

Those look awesome! I would love to try those out.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

I've long made a habit of wearing camo patterns while small stream trout fishing. It makes a great deal of difference. What I haven't been able to find is a fishing vest that isn't in a light stone or a kaki pattern, or a hunting or surplus camo vest that is light enough and put together with a thought to fishing.
I don't care about the shirts, get me a good fishing vest in a woodland pattern.

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

I don't flats fish but I can see the appeal of the Simms get up if I did. I do however stay dark green or brown when I'm trout fishing. However, all the camo in the world won't help you if you don't approach the fish correctly.

from bass bomber wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

I wear Fishoflage but thats only because its comfortable and looks good.

from jbird wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

I've avoided bright colors when bank fishing or wading for years. I have to admit, I think the "cloud" shirt is pretty cool, especially if it's Columbia's PFG material, which I have some of and the stuff is super light-weight and dries very quickly.

from bigz24bigbass wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

Not as cool as the hunting camo.

from TM wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from WilliamM wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Fashionable, but probably unessecary.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Woodland camo works great on small brook trout stream.

from badsmerf wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

Those look awesome! I would love to try those out.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from bass bomber wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

I wear Fishoflage but thats only because its comfortable and looks good.

from jbird wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from bigz24bigbass wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

Not as cool as the hunting camo.