New Hook Shots: Minnesota Muskies 'Til It Hurts

The Lateral Line

September 11, 2012

New Hook Shots: Minnesota Muskies 'Til It Hurts

By Joe Cermele

A few weeks ago I shoved off to Minnesota to achieve two goals: Fish with my old buddy Dave James who lives in St. Paul and who I haven't seen in over a year, and top the 36-inch muskie (my first ever) that I caught in the last "Hook Shots" episode of 2011. The plan was to set up camp on Mille Lacs Lake with guide Steve Scepaniak, who had been slaying muskies all summer during the crazy heat wave Minnesota had been suffering through. Of course, I show up and so does a cold front, which turned what I'd hoped would be a slamfest (meaning like 6 fish in a few days...we're talking muskies here) into yet another bout of working lures until your arms went numb and hoping and praying for an eater. So did I top my 36-incher despite the conditions? As a matter of fact I did, but not without some nerve-racking shifting on the fly and a lot of luck and some help of wild card guide Josh Stevenson. Enjoy the ride.

from rdorman wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

nice congrats joe, i am sure it is all that much more special having had to work so hard!

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Way to go, Joe. Glad you finally made it to the upper midwest for muskie. Minnesota and Wisconsin are loaded with great muskie waters.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Not many guys would fish all night for muskie then skip breakfast because of one follow. You da'man Joe.

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

JOE: THIS IS GOOD STUFF!!! When I was a 18 and borrowed my dads old dodge to fish for small mouth and right along the lake in 5 feet of water was the BIGGEST FISH I ever saw. A Muskie. Now I ALWAYS have a muskie rod (or 3) and lures with me in the boat. I have ONLY caught 2 so far but I am addicted. Funny; In the fall I have caught more bass trying on muskie lures than either pike or my (2) muskie.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Good stuff!

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

And nothing on the boat trailer??

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Different trip, Koldcut. That was in Missouri

from Dances with Deer wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Joe, that was LOL awesome stuff right there, great filming and editing. Your buddy was a riot, too. Congrats on the fish. Maybe bucktails would have been the ticket on Mille Lacs, too. In cold front conditions, I'm surprised you guys weren't throwing smaller baits, to be honest.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

JC great fish, congrats. That definitely blows my PB muskie out of the water. Although I have to say, after catching those pike I would have turned directly around to the guide and said forget the muskies, lets get some more of those.

from mountaindew732 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I am not a big fan of fishing shows and hunting shows but when I see a new Hook Shots episode I get all giddy like it's Christmas eve. Every episode is great and this one did not disappoint. As a smallmouth fisherman, I can only dream of having something that big on the line. Congratulations. Oh, and thanks for the rick roll..

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

good stuff as usual.

i've actually done way better on rivers for muskies myself. probably have caught twice the number of muskies on rivers when compared to lakes

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

I love Josh's statements about just fishing when you can fish regardless of conditions.

from rdorman wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Good stuff!

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

And nothing on the boat trailer??

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago