How Many Times Have You Fished with a Fly Guide Like This?

The Lateral Line

October 17, 2012

How Many Times Have You Fished with a Fly Guide Like This?

By Joe Cermele

Ok, before you judge this video, I urge you to give it a minute. The longer I watched the more I laughed to myself, because there are at least 10 phrases uttered by mock fly fishing guide Hank Patterson that I have heard real fly guides say to me on numerous occasions. Pretty spot-on impression of "that guide." How many of you have fished with a dude like this?

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Haha! This is the funniest thing I've seen in a month at least! Grab a cub. The part that really resonated with me was talking about what had worked previously. Of course I like to hear fish stories about great trips, the big ones they have guided other clients to, etc. But on this one occasion our guide (not fly by the way) did not change tactics all day and we failed to boat a fish. From start to stop we did the same exact thing over and over and all he would talk about was how well this worked last week and the week before. I didn't, but I wanted to scream at the guy well obviously something has changed and you need to at least give an attempt at figuring it out. Good waste of $150.

from malcma01 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Made my day!

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

LMAO

from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Funniest thing I've seen in some time. Thanks for the laugh!

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Paralyzer to the CHOAD!!!

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

In England they call them Gillies I do believe...take you out to a beat, relax and watch you fish...maybe will get up to help you land a fish if you catch one.

from fishead wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

its funny b/c it is so true!!

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

"Grab a cub" comment had me laughing so hard it hurt. Thanks for sharing, Joe. I'll be laughing about this for a couple days.

from weedless97 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Caddis, Caddis, Caddis. Wish I had brought one.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Really funny stuff!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Only time I fished with a guide was this past July. Nice young guy but not well prepared. To his credit he was trying to run two businesses at once and having a rough time. But we had to do way too much work (including pulling the battery from our rig to power the trolling motor). Weather kinda jynxed us but eventually picked up some nice fish the last couple of hours of the last day. I had a lot of experience with the guides in Katmai National Park when I was a ranger there and for the most part I think they were an okay bunch. Except for that one guy who insisted on smoking a cigarette while unloading cans of aircraft fuel. Keeriste almighty! Had to put my foot down on that fella! But he eventually came to appreciate and respect me for it.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Ontario. Do you know how hard it is to know if your gasoline has water in it if you don't light a match? :)
Problem with guides in Alaska in big part is the overhead/cost to run an operation, and make any money at it. High cost, and short season so the lodges hire young guys with not a lot of experience. I guided in AK for a number of years, and there was some embarrassing situations, and dangerous situations the result of young, inexperienced guides. Much different in the lower 48 for the biggest part.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Oh man, that's funny stuff! good video! Will be sharing this one at work on monday!

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

It's a nymph makin' love to a nymph, on another nymph. We call it the menage a nymph.

from weedless97 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Caddis, Caddis, Caddis. Wish I had brought one.

from fishead wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

its funny b/c it is so true!!

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Really funny stuff!

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Funniest thing I've seen in some time. Thanks for the laugh!

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

LMAO

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Paralyzer to the CHOAD!!!

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago