New Hook Shots: Miami-Style Peacock Bass

The Lateral Line

October 09, 2012

New Hook Shots: Miami-Style Peacock Bass

By Joe Cermele

I've always known that the vast network of freshwater canals and lakes in Miami were filled with peacock bass. What I didn't know was that a) peacocks get much bigger in FL than I expected, and b) they are one of the meanest, nastiest, most explosive, hardest-fighting fish I've ever tangled with in freshwater. You think a smallmouth fights? Ha! A 2-pound peacock will make a 5-pound smallie feel a chub. I had the pleasure of fishing with my good friend John Frazier from Fly Fishing in Salt Waters, and local Miami guide Roger Gonzalez. Roger works for Bassonline.com, which is South Florida's premier largemouth and peacock outfitter, and he knows each urban creek, lake, canal, and cove like the back of his hand. John and I mostly flyfished, and I can truly say this was an epic experience. If you've dreamed of catching a peacock but can't afford a trip to the Amazon, you need to see this. Enjoy the show.

from Double D wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

I am surprised at the utter lack of anyone in this video quoting, at least once, the phrase "Say 'ello to my little friend."

Other than, nice work, per usual.

from rjw wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Excellent video! May have to make a trip to Miami, hey might even take up Fly Fishing, that looked like lots of fun.

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Wow, that looks awesome, Joe! Those are some great fish and I love their colors. Ill have to remember Roger next time I am in Florida.

from HelloStrega wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

That looks like some awesome fishing. Peacocks are on my bucket list and i'm glad I don't have to venture near piranhas to chase them!

from 357 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

i know what i'm doing when i got to Miami.

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

enjoyed this one as always Joe. The editing and music selection sets y'all apart from any other fishing program I've ever watched, seems like y'all have a ton of fun on the water. I'm going to build one of those ultralight setups you posted about a couple of weeks ago, over the winter, and you need to come do some backpack fishing in the Blue Ridge Mountains of SC next summer with me.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Thanks 2lb., I appreciate that. Even when the fishing part is a grind and things get tough, we always have fun. Fishing should always be about fun first and fish second right?

from TRR wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Great video, amazing fish. There is actually one fact in the vid that is incorrect. There is a third place on the planet that offers there beauties, and it is in the United States.

On top of Oahu in Hawaii is Lake Wilson, and not only is it packed with these amazing fish, it holds largemouth, smallmouth, gar, tilapia, cichlids, red devils, catfish... you name it. Amazing place, even more amazing fishing! We took the trip last month... photo evidence below:

from TRR wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Ahh well... seem to be getting a kickback for posting a link. Anyways, look it up... its great fun! -TRR Dudes

from labrador12 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

So this is another "good" invasive species?

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Not sure I'd call them invasive, Lab. Fish & Wildlife stocked them to control true invasives (ie, snakeheads, oscars) etc.

from timromano wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

oh my god... airhead wrappers? Bottle nipples? I can't wait to fish with you freaks in December. Hell of a show as always Joe.

from rdorman wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

that was awesome Joe, i love all your shows, but that ranks as one of my favorites...a lot of fun to watch...i can only imagine how much fun it would have to done

from 357 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

My Fishing club group loved this episode! We've watched it twice already. Can't wait for the next one!

from HelloStrega wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from Double D wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Other than, nice work, per usual.

from rjw wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from 357 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

i know what i'm doing when i got to Miami.

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from TRR wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from TRR wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from labrador12 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

So this is another "good" invasive species?

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago