Where's Your Favorite City Hot Spot?

The Lateral Line

October 03, 2012

Where's Your Favorite City Hot Spot?

By Joe Cermele

I just returned from a few days of fishing in Miami for peacock bass. And when I say in Miami I mean in Miami. Like downtown, then to the wrong side of the tracks, then to the safer side of the tracks ("Hook Shots" episode forthcoming). Hundreds of square miles of freshwater canals cut through this tropical metropolis like aquatic roads and highways. If my guide had suddenly fallen into a coma, I don't think I'd have been able to get back to the ramp. Now, at first glance this photo might make the fishery look uninviting. I mean let's be honest: There's trash in the water, there are dogs barking at you constantly, and there's a lot more concrete than trees. For some this would be an instant turn-off. I, on the other hand, fell in love with the setting.

Yes, it's true that part of the enjoyment of fishing comes from just being out in a quiet wilderness. There are some days when I head to mountain trout stream knowing the fishing might not be epic just because I don't want to hear airplanes, traffic, or the TV for a while. But sometimes it's purely about catching fish, and when the best place to catch those fish happens to be in a setting like the one in the photo, I'm all in.

How many times have you stripped a streamer through an eddy where it got inhaled by a brown trout or tossed a popper into the pads to hear that awesome clap when a largemouth crushes it? Many times, right? Now how many times have you stripped a streamer over a submerged shopping cart or thrown a popper at a half-sunk gazebo? This was by far my favorite "city fishing" experience. What was yours?

from Brazilnut wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

When I lived in Philadelphia (20 yrs ago) I caught many bruiser channel cats in the Schuylkill River near the Art Museum, and smallmouths under the US-1 bridge in East Falls.
Now I live in Rio de Janeiro (pop. 10 million+), where you can catch snook and bluefish off the rocky point between Copacabana and Ipanema beaches.

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

trying to get large african sharptooth catfish out of a manmade milkcrate fishing structure in egypt.

from jhorton wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Portland Oregon on the Columbia River. We boated several white sturgeon while watching the morning traffic going by.

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

There is some decent Bass and Chain Pickerel fishing along the Charles River here in MA. There is also a carpfishing scene there that has pratically become a sub-culture. The only problem is that the water chestnuts and lily pads have grown explosivley over the past few years.

from Bez wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Caught a 6#+ largemouth bass in a tiny pond between a crowded soccer field and baseball diamond. Fortunate the pond is set lower than it's surroundings so you hear all the activity but are almost out of sight.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Rocky River, Downtown Cleveland for steelhead.

from Joe Novak wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Mississippi River, all the way through Minneapolis!

from Craigb wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Elliot Bay in Seattle, fishing for Salmon while looking at the skyline and watching the commuters drive by on the viaduct and float by on the Wa State Ferry... not to mention the 5000+ people coming off the multiple cruise ships docked down town and the container ships being tugged into port.

from Brazilnut wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from jhorton wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Bez wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Rocky River, Downtown Cleveland for steelhead.

from Joe Novak wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Mississippi River, all the way through Minneapolis!

from Craigb wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago