Arctic Silver Fly Rods: Revolutionary or Gimmick?

The Lateral Line

November 13, 2012

Arctic Silver Fly Rods: Revolutionary or Gimmick?

By Joe Cermele

You can thank Scandanvians for IKEA furniture, excellent chocolate, and now (at least it's believed by designer Robert Selfors), the most innovative fly rod ever. In the video below you'll hear Selfors' story and get the skinny on Arctic Silver rods, which are supposed to be much less strenuous to cast than traditional rods because the butt end of the blank free-floats in the handle, allowing it to pivot. Selfors says this reduces the amount of energy needed to cast, thus reducing that jelly-arm feeling you get after a day of chucking streamers on a 10-mile float. Seeing as I haven't tried one, I can't say whether it does or doesn't work, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Do we need a better mousetrap? Gimmick or wave of the future? By the way, Selfors put this video together to entice potential investors, in case you've got some money burning hole in your pocket.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

kinda sounds gimmicky.....video not working for me so I can't see if there is anything that would make me believe it works more on the same amount of power applied.....I see stuff like this and it makes me think I need to get my design in the works for the no-ice fly guides.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

You do know it doesn't have to work for fisherman to buy it, right? Otherwise, I see no harm with this contraption. I am sure well meaning spouses and significant others with good intentions will buy this as a gift. After all, the average age of fly fisherman is on the rise. Every little bit helps.

Koldkut, if you steal my battery operated vibrating handle to keep ice out of your guides ideal, I will track you down. lol

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Battery operated...Pshhhhht....Bic operated :)

from Andrew Bosway wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Seems like a legitimate idea but the power of a rod is more a function of material capability than mechanical advantage. My guess would be that a high end Sage would still take the cake. Adding this design to fly rods may provide additional casting distance but at the cost of introducing another potential failure point.

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Sounds like a good idea, but I have no idea if it will catch on. Fly fishing seems like a sport still grounded in tradition (minus some of the latest super crazed this rod = superpowers gimmicks) and thus it seems like it would take a while for something so "revolutionary"/futuristic to take hold.

from chidjm wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I see some potential problems, but I'll see what ya'll think...
1- what heppens to sensitivity? If the handle isn't attached to the rod other than at the reel seat, I see it not having much at all.

2- if you're allowing for the xtra blank length to bend while casting, how do you support the rod when fighting a fish? I see broken blanks in the future if it presses against that handle that it's not supposed to be hitting.

3- if the handle starts to degrade or break on you, what do you do? It seems that you would have just a basic fly rod at that point.

I'm no rod maker, but those first two especially concern me a bit.

from Michael Saari wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I don't see where the rod moving back and forth within the handle 1/4 to 1/2 inch would have anything to do with easing arm fatigue. I see it making fatigue worse, not better. When I move a standard flyrod I've already compensated for the weight of the line and rod. Either way, the weight of the line and rod are still there... There are no percentage facts of reduced energy by having a floating handle either. I would be interested in knowing the exact amount of reduced energy, if any at all. It's a gimmick for sure...

from chidjm wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I see some potential problems, but I'll see what ya'll think...

I'm no rod maker, but those first two especially concern me a bit.

from Michael Saari wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Battery operated...Pshhhhht....Bic operated :)

from Andrew Bosway wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago