Santa Leave Anything Fishy Under Your Tree?

The Lateral Line

December 26, 2012

Santa Leave Anything Fishy Under Your Tree?

By Joe Cermele

I'd be remiss if I didn't run my usual post-Christmas follow up for anglers, so here it goes...

Under the tree on Christmas morn, I found an awesome new Regal vise. It is awesome because, believe it or not, I have been tying on the same no-name Regal wanna-be vise that I picked up at a flyfishing expo when I was about 18. It always got the job done, but the jaws have become so stiff that I literally have a permanent hard knot under the skin at the base of my thumb from squeezing the jaw spreader at the pressure needed to open them up. I'd probably have to have said knot surgically shaved down at the this point, but maybe over time, thanks to my new Regal that opens like butter, it'll go away. Aside from the vise I got some tiny fish-shaped dishes that will do a fine job of holding soy sauce when I make sushi. My wife loves them (that's sarcasm...she's so over fish-shaped wares). So now it's your turn. Did you find anything fishy under the tree? I'm always curious as to what fellow anglers had on their Christmas lists. Hope you all had a good one.

from dleurquin wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Got an ice fishing accessory: a High Plains Sheepskin Blizzard Hat to replace my not-as-warm old bomber hat. Can't wait to go walleye fishing.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I musta been a bad boy this year, Santa hooked the kiddo up with mad toys and dad got blanked.

from HuskerHunterFisher wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I didn't get any real fishing gear, but a Cabelas gift card will certainly be useful. Also, got plenty of fishing snacks with beef jerky and beef sticks.

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

2 ice rod/reel combos, an ice fishing accessory bag with rod holders, boot spikes, boxes of lures, a scoop, fishing line, and a new auger. Santa spoiled me this winter!

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

GoPro Hero3 for me and anything I buy my boys will be just one less thing I find "mysteriously missing" in the future.

from Hornd wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Got a pressure cooker and Columbia fleece lined pants so comfy I ordered anthr pair from Cabelas. Usually get some maple syrup, cashews, smoked oysters, pistachios, jerky and macadamias too. Better yet got the wife a smart phone and haven't heard from her in days. I think I shud txt her to chk-in.

from bassman06 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

My family had no idea what to get me me when it comes to fishing gear, so a bass pro shop gift card and plenty of cash for it! now all i need is a day off to get stuff....

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

simms fleece shirt and some muskie lures

from Dridzzhuse wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Got my first Tenkara fly rod.

from jdwood wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I received a sea bass shaped bottle opener for those enjoyable adult beverages I enjoy consuming.

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I received The Boy Scout Fishing Merit Badge Manual from the early 60's. Cool antique.

from Jan J. Mudder wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

My wife was incredibly thoughtful and practical. After seeing me use a cuticle scissors to trim hackles, she arranged for my 5-month-old daughter to "purchase" a Dr. Slick micro-tip scissors for me. Based on her recommendations--which she got by looking over my wish lists on Cabelas, Orvis, and Amazon--my in-laws gave me a Skip Morris book on tying bass bugs and a Swiss Army knife. Finally, having seen the sorry shape of my fishing vest, she went to Cabelas to find a replacement, but after reading some reviews and doing a little research, she bought a hip/chest combo pack, instead. I'm in awe.

from RedTick54 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I bought my own Christmas present. A Redington Fly Rod. I took the rod to a fly fishing store and got a nice reel to balance the set up. I look forward to the Full Moon in May.

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

My brother got me a sack full of bass tackle and I got him a sack full of ultra light trout gear, looking forward to texas rigging some magnum soft plastics while its still cold and catching some stocked brooders with him. My parents also got me a Bass Pro Shops gift card.

from robbanderson wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Beaver Dam round tip-up...

from yanzi wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Waiting for your answer, look forward to the love you give.-

www.lilydating.com

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Hornd wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from Dridzzhuse wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Got my first Tenkara fly rod.

from dleurquin wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from HuskerHunterFisher wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

from bassman06 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

simms fleece shirt and some muskie lures

from jdwood wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Jan J. Mudder wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from RedTick54 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from robbanderson wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Beaver Dam round tip-up...

from yanzi wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago