Which 2012 Catch Sticks Out The Most?

The Lateral Line

January 02, 2013

Which 2012 Catch Sticks Out The Most?

By Joe Cermele

Kirk Deeter over at the FlyTalk blog already asked about your 2013 fishing resolutions. John Merwin already told you that his 2013 fishing resolution is to simply fish more. So I'll ask this: Which fish or trip from 2012 will you remember most fondly?

I always like to answer that question each new year with an outing or catch from home waters, but for the first time in a while, I'm sad to say I can't. To be honest, 2012 was not the most outstanding year for me on the local fishing front, and I'm really hoping 2013 brings some normalization.

Thanks to a snowless, warm winter, spring striper runs were chronologically wacky and weak compared to past seasons. Super-low river conditions made local trout and smallmouth fishing incredibly tough throughout the summer. And just when things were starting to look up as the fall striper and bluefish run was taking shape, along came Hurricane Sandy, knocking everything for another loop. Yes, I'm hoping for a cold, snowy, winter that gets things back on track.

Since I don't have a local catch to peg as my most memorable of 2012, I have to think back to my travels this season. Without a doubt, the fish I will remember most is the 7-pound Miami peacock bass above. Not only was this a pretty big peacock for the states, but the entire experience fishing the canals and lakes in southern Florida really opened my eyes to a fishery I knew very little about. I always gauge the worth of a trip not just by what I caught, but what I learned. And I learned a lot in Miami last September.

Your turn. Tell me which trip or fish of 2012 you'll remember most.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

My fishing trip to Northern Manitoba was indeed memorable. The weather was challenging with thunder storms and wind dodging in and out. The final day saw a terrible downpour that nearly flooded out our vehicle and boat trailer. We got off that river in the nick of time! In spite of the weather the fishing was, as usual, fantastic. Fly fishing for trout the first couple of days was challenging but I caught several fine big rainbows and lost one next to the kick boat that was as long as my arm (I am 6'1"). No kidding! I landed a few tiger trout, the first I had ever seen. Interesting looking fish and pretty good fighters (see my profile photos for a pic). I wound up wrecking my elbows casting a #9 rod in that heavy wind and was in tough shape for the last couple of days walleye/pike fishing. Our final afternoon saw some absolutely frantic fishing right before the big storm. I must have thrown back a boatload of walleyes between 18" and 26" (required by law). I'm definitely going back this year. It's so beautiful up there I am seriously thinking about relocating.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Summer vacation up in the Poconos. Personally, I haven't had a particular fish stand out other than one spectactular lost fish.
My four year old didn't catch his first fish this year, that happened a year or two ago. But this trip with a house right on the lake was the first time where he was just in the zone. He caught an ok number of sunnies, but what impressed me was that spark that was really finally lit in him. It wasn't just another toy, or another game to play for a few minutes. This was the year that the bug bit him. He'd fish for hours at a time. It was the first thing he'd ask about when he woke up, you'd have to interupt him in order to get him to do something else, and in any moment where there was some down time he was likely to ask if he could hit the lake again. I remember when that enthusiasm first hit me. My daughters both fish a bit, but neither of them ever fished for that kind of timeframe with that "Just one more cast, just one more fish.." kind of drive where you just want to see what else will come up from the depths next.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I've fly fished in lots of locations and caught everything from Tarpon to Tiddlers. Sometimes it's not what you catch, it's where or who you catch it with. In 2012, the one trip that jumps out at is me and my youngest son catching Brookies up to 15"s at will all morning long, while drifting in our canoe at in a pristine mountain pond. Yup, I'll go with that one.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Having had my season cut short from having back surgery, this past year wasn't the best in terms of fishing time. But the time I did spend fishing was well spent. Best single fish, by and far, was the 18 pound blue I caught on Capt. Eric's boat, with honorable mention going to an 11 pound rainbow through the ice.

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

The most memorable catch of 2012 was my 4 year old son's first catch, a little bluegill. He was all smiles, & I asked him how he felt. The smile faded as he looked at the fish, and my boy looked at me..."Daddy, he's sad, can we put him back in the water?"
I removed the hook & the boy took the small fish in his hands. He carefully lowered it into the water & watched it swim away. And there I stood, proud of my son,getting all choked up at my little boy's show of good sportsmanship.

from Micropterus24 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

This past year I put in some good time catching trout on small streams, and I really feel I learned a lot more than I had in previous years. My most memorable catch was bringing in a musky after many failed attempts, and although my out of towner first time musky fishing friend caught 3 on the same trip I was still pretty excited to finally land one.

from Bernie wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Most memorable from 2012 was a 22-lb. northern pike I caught and released at Amisk Lake, Saskatchewan on the first day of a two-weeks trip. I've been fishing there since 1967. Caught the pike on a Dardevle Imp (2/5s oz.) in alewife pattern.

from treelimit wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

My buddy's family has a lake house but none of them really fish or have any interest. Except his 11 year old daughter. One afternoon, she picked up an old rod from the shed that had a crankbait tied on from God knows when and started casting. Within a few minutes, there was a mighty bend, most likely one of the large smallies I'd seen cruising the weedbeds while snorkeling earlier. I ran over to coach her a little, keep some bend in the rod, etc but of course we eventually broke off due to the ancient knot. And as I added a hand to help her keep pressure on the fish, I could tell it was a PIG. Ever since, all she's talked about every time we're at the lake is when can we catch that bass.

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Went fishing on New Year's eve day over at my Aunt and Uncle's pond. My cousins boyfriend was there and I invited him to join me. He acted like I was crazy to be fishing in a windchill of 30 degrees. I just smiled and said "That's when the big one's bite." On my third cast I laid into a seven pound largemouth that I fooled with a magnum u-tail. I called my cousin's boyfriend down to the dock to take a picture.

from small game sportsman wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I caught a 7 pound bass a few days before new years. That was without a doubt the biggest fish I've ever caught.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Kayak fishing a swamp when I hooked and landed an 8 1/2 lb largemouth.

from 1Browning2 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Took a trip to Leech Lake in Minnesota this past year. It was a muskie fishing trip but no landed muskies. We also did a decent amount of northern, walleye, and bass fishing. Fishing there was a lot different than fishing down here in Iowa with mucky water. There are a few memories of that trip that really stick out. Hooking up with a northern in 10' of water and being able to see him roll around on the sandy bottom. Had another come at my top water lure with full head of steam and hammered it and did an entire flip out of water. Wasn't a big fish, but just a neat sight

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

A bowfin (aka dogfish, swamp muskie....) I caught this year in my home waters. It was the first one I've ever caught and I didn't even know they were in that particular stretch of the river. It fought like mad dog and took me forever to figure out what in the hell I had on the end of my line.

from yanzi wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from Micropterus24 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from Bernie wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from treelimit wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from small game sportsman wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Kayak fishing a swamp when I hooked and landed an 8 1/2 lb largemouth.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago