Merwin: The Old Bottle Trick

The Lateral Line

January 23, 2009

Merwin: The Old Bottle Trick

By John Merwin

Anybody else do this? Make a line-remover out of a water- bottle cap and bottle. It's fast, cheap, and you can use it to store line or throw it away as you like. Here's how.

spool
Photo by John Merwin

spool
Photo by John Merwin

Take a common water-bottle cap and drill a centered 1/4-inch hole, within which you'll use washers and nuts to fasten a 2-inch-long by 1/4-inch-diameter bolt. The bolt shank will stick out of the top of the bottle cap.

Screw the cap on an old water bottle, and chuck the bolt shank in your cordless drill. Tape the end of your line to the bottle, and set your reel at a very light drag setting or in free-spool. Then rev up your drill to remove all line from the reel very quickly.

Works like a charm with baitcasting, spinning, and even fly lines (although I know that fly lines should be stored in large, loose coils).

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

That looks to cool to actually work. I hate stripping line, I swear I'm making one today but I'm also going to add some red Locktite to the bolt threads and keep that cap in my toolbox.

from peter wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

nice tip

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I complained about stripping line from reels so much one year I got two of those Berkley line strippers for Christmas. Against all odds I haven't lost either one in something like 10 years.

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

John, this is pure brilliance.

I wonder if those of us in a reel hurry (pardon the pun) could take a "more power" approach and adapt this concept to a method that involves a 1.75HP/27500 RPM router, a 2 liter bottle, and enough friction to narrowly avoid melting your berrings.

Mind your fingers though.

from Charley wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I made a similar setup to take off lead- core. I first lathed a large spool and drilled and inserted a lag bolt. Then used the drill press to hold the spool while I held the reel and fingered the line back and forth for an even lie.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

That seems a little more complicated than most of us have Charlie, but it probably worked too.

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I haven't used that but used to chuck a 12" length of 1/2" dowel in a drill press to do the same thing. Just one word of caution, don't use high speed on the drill press, as it can cause the reel to fly out of your hand and into the wall or become a swinging projectile.

from Charley wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Yes, I forgot to mention using low speed on the drill press.

from johnmerwin wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Wow, I think you guys suggesting drill presses or routers for this job will solve all your line-removal problems just by removing a few fingers. Okay, I know the router was a joke, but even a drill press at slow speed might be a little dicey.....anyway, maybe the next time I post a tip I should run it by OSHA first?

from Scott in Ohio wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

John,

You've inspired me to re-spool my reels this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

from woofbarkenarf wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Good tip, but I would like to add a suggestion to use the recycling bin for the mono rather than throwing it away.
My daughter recently rescued a coot (of all things) that had line wrapped around its foot and was lame...she took it to a local vet here in Payson AZ...it was an entertaining story that you can read by googling "Payson Coot"

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Cool Idea, I am always looking for something new that will save time and keep old line neatly stored.

I have started dropping off my line at the local recycling bin, the only one locally is at academy.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from peter wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

nice tip

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from YooperRyan wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

John, this is pure brilliance.

Mind your fingers though.

from Charley wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Charley wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Yes, I forgot to mention using low speed on the drill press.

from johnmerwin wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Scott in Ohio wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

John,

You've inspired me to re-spool my reels this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

from woofbarkenarf wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago