Pop Quiz... What Would You Do?

FlyTalk

March 30, 2009

Pop Quiz... What Would You Do?

By Kirk Deeter

Here are two challenging casting situations; see if you can figure out the best fixes for the problems.

1)  Bob is out fishing the redfish flats in Texas.  As usual, the wind is pulsing off the Gulf of Mexico at a steady 20-mph kick.  Bob has a school of tailing reds right in front of him, about 40 feet away.  Unfortunately that wind is straight off his right side, and Bob is right handed.   In other words, when he goes to make that cast, his line--sometimes even his fly (ouch)--smacks right into his head.  He would cast left handed if he weren't a complete spaz with his non-dominant hand.

What does he do to fix his problem?

2) This is a true story.  Rusty, a guide, is working a salmon run in Alaska with one of his favorite repeat customers.  Sadly, Bill, the customer, has developed Parkinson's disease... he is still crazy about flyfishing, and sharp as a tack.  He can even manage to cast pretty well.  Problem is, those darn tremors make his arm shake so badly that he jerks and wiggles the flies... so much that the fish won't give them an interested glimpse.

But Rusty suggests one change for Bill... it works, and they catch fish all day.  What was the change?

from j-johnson17 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Give that boy a streamer (egg sucking leech) - I think the fact that he is on the river in the first place is awesome and inspiring - Never give up!!!!

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

If I was Bob I'd move the boat upwind of the fish but it might scare the fish so I think the answer you are looking for is he should use a backhand cast or a roll cast.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Rusty gave Bill a strike-indicator. Either that or he has Bill wiggle his rod tip at the end of his cast to create slack.

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

1.) Bob could still use his right hand cast but cast over his left shoulder.

2.) Go to streamers. Or add more mend/cast more slack, and lower his rod tip.

from scooby wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

1) either cast across his body or (looks stupid but I've seen it done) cast backwards: cast regularly but away from the target, laying down your final "backcast". don't think a roll cast will work; if a 20mph wind is blowing in his right ear, how does he keep a big enough belly far enough off to the side to make the cast? he'll end up rolling it right up his back and into his hat.

2) if the shaking is causing refusals it has to be a dead-drift issue. salmon in alaska don't feed on the surface, so you must have put on an indicator to act as a damper. either that or you switched to a streamer pattern like an egg succking leach so that the shaking works for you, rather than against.

from Sam Sterner wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

1) Use a roll cast maybe or position the boat in a differnt way.

2) Dip the rod tip in the water after the cast to absorb the shock. I think that has been on here before.

from Koldkut wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

1. Have Bob stop his backcast earlier to get his line higher in the air before casting it forward. If the wind was too strong, I'd cast over my left shoulder with my right hand.

2. Give the line some slack to absorb the shakes from his regular return customer.

from muskiemaster wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

i don't know question one but for the second question I would have Bill use something top water so that it looks like it's trying to swim like bugs do on the water when they get stuck.

from Brian Robinson wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

might I suggest the Dutch Rudder

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Whitefish, what's a Dutch Rudder?

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

1) Change the angle of the rod, casting overhead but with the line off the left shoulder.

2) Switch from a fly rod to a spinning rod and bubble. Or set the drag to nothing and allow the line to slide out the guides as he moves.

from mepepi wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

For the first instance if he couldn't change your angle use a belgan cast. its best when the wind is coming form your right.

from buck hunter 17 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

I like his go to it ness. it sound like he never gives up on something he loves. I would duck my head when i cast so it dosent hit him.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Backed handed double haul with a triple toe loop landing and pray the French judge doesn't screw you.

from flyfish13 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

For the first situation, all Bob has to do is turn around with his back to the fish and cast normally as if you were facing the fish, just shoot your line on the back-cast and drop the fly into the reds. FISH ON!!
The second situation, I would switch Bill to a bunny leach, the twitching gives it some real action. He could also tie on a popper or mouse pattern, I have taken several salmon on dries. Especially Coho's, Pinks,Chums, and the occasional King.

from www.flyfishingo... wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

#1 turn around and throw the cast toward the fish with your back cast.

#2 Fish Mice for rainbows

from Christian Emter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

I would say son of a ***** and keep trying. Then when I got home I would try that cast over and over until I don't hit myself in the head.

from Sam Sterner wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

1) Use a roll cast maybe or position the boat in a differnt way.

from Brian Robinson wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

might I suggest the Dutch Rudder

from j-johnson17 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

1.) Bob could still use his right hand cast but cast over his left shoulder.

2.) Go to streamers. Or add more mend/cast more slack, and lower his rod tip.

from scooby wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Whitefish, what's a Dutch Rudder?

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from mepepi wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from buck hunter 17 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from flyfish13 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from www.flyfishingo... wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

#1 turn around and throw the cast toward the fish with your back cast.

#2 Fish Mice for rainbows