Make It a Meal

FlyTalk

July 27, 2009

Make It a Meal

By Kirk Deeter

Around this time of year, the fly fishing game takes on a little more "prospecting" flavor.  Of course, there are some big hatch events happening... PMDs in many western rivers... the Green Drake thing is either exploding or about to in other places... we're getting into callibaetis and tricos as well.

But in many spots, the dog days of summer see daytime action slow down as fish get keyed on those specific hatches in the mornings and evenings, and act fussy with water temps rising.

In other words... it's the perfect situation for my favorite type of fly fishing, any time of the year.  This is, after all, when we separate the contenders from the pretenders, and find out who has game, and who doesn't.

So what's the trick for fishing the dog days?  I've tried many approaches, from tiny little flies, to dry-dropper, to dredging nymph flies through runs.  When all is said and done, I'd have to say the most rewarding approach is simple:  Make it a meal.

I'm talking about banging the banks and runs with streamers.  Or floating big, gaudy attractor dry flies, like Chernobyl ants and hopper patterns.  It's all about protein at this time of the year, and you simply want to make the trout an offer it can't refuse... the salmonid's equivalent of a fat, juicy T-bone steak floating through the water, right in their line of sight.  Something so munchable, Mr. Brown has no choice but to get his lazy act in gear.

You might not catch the numbers, but you stand a chance at catching something big.  (Mouse flies at night are another really good call for late July and August).

To that end, Mr. Romano and I will be enjoying a leisurely float/grudge match on the Colorado River tomorrow... him with his streamers, me with my hoppers.

Anyone placing odds?

Deeter

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I feel age and experience will win out every time. My money is on Deeter. Sort of bitter sweet ain't it.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Agreed, Deeter, don't forget if he starts to win, low back casts in his direction will inhibit his fishing ability...

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Quantity or quality? Kirk on quantity, Tim on Quality. Kirk takes it in overall length of all fish combined.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

One more thing,

My money is on you Deeter but your not allowed to sing "Hail to the victors valiant..." if you win.

from timromano wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

will see how many of you guys win any prizes going forward... geeze!

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Smart guys. And don't worry... I'm the prize patrol. I've forgotten how to sing the Victors, buckhunter, but check me in November.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Sorry Tim, but the older people may be wiser, and Deeter is a guide thats why my bet is on him...

from MLH wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I'd say Tim, no matter how many fish he catches, gets envious of the smashing surface strikes on the hopper.

from MLH wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

By the way, changed flies about a dozen times yesterday morning before figuring out what the risers around me wanted. Then promptly lost the flies in the overhanging cedars. But that was okay since the weather changed and they started hitting something else. Confounded trout.

Later, threw on a deer fly. There is something morbid and sweet about trout smashing a facsimile of such a despicable pest.

from elkslayer wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

the hoppers will win the day

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Hoppers vs streamers this almost comes down to who's rowing If You keep it out where he can't get a good drift near the bank your crippling the Hoppers. I see lots of room for this to be a brutal affair, much like my trips with my buddy Ryan when we catch about half the fish we should because of our efforts to sabotage each other. we go thirty bucks- three catagories, and if you get the trifeccta your bar tab is free. first fish biggest fish and most fish- each catagory worth 10 bucks.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Tim, it's not that you are going to lose, but I don't see any way to judge quantity over quality other than total inches of fish......anyone throwing streamers and slamming bigger fish is already the winner in my mind, throwing dries is just going to keep the stream equivalent of small blue gills comming to no end. You have a better way to compare and judge overall fish?

from ejunk wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I predict hoppers will produce more fish. I'd say the odds are on streamers for the biggest fish, but only slightly. 60-40 in favor of streamers.

good luck to the both of you!

yrs-
Evan!

from Gil Finn wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

It's hopper time my bruthas'. Deeter should have it unless he becomes a puntnick! When the heads come up it's hard to keep your cool and let the fish eat it. However, the suicide rate (hopper assisted)has been high on the Colorado lately. Have fun fellas!

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Absolutly draw! Try a kind of ephemerella

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I won't pick a side but I do wish the best of luck to both of you. Hope yall both catch comething!

from chadian wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

capture your moment in history with the enduring leagacy of art. chad lavin studio. www.lavinstudio.com

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

One more thing,

from timromano wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

will see how many of you guys win any prizes going forward... geeze!

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

the hoppers will win the day

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

good luck to the both of you!

yrs-