Pop Quiz: Trout Refuses Grasshopper, What Do You Do?

FlyTalk

September 24, 2009

Pop Quiz: Trout Refuses Grasshopper, What Do You Do?

By Kirk Deeter

Here's a real-life fishing scenario that popped up yesterday.  I am happy to report that I was able to solve the problem and land a beautiful 18-inch wild brown trout on the Dolores River in Colorado.

Let's see if you get the right answer.

You're fishing along a grassy cutbank.  It's windy.  It's bright.  Definitely a grasshopper day.  You notice a nice shady pool along the bank and, wham! a big ol' trout eats something off the surface.  You make a perfect cast... here he comes... here he comes... he's gonna eat it... and just when he's about to chomp down, he changes his mind.

You got refused.

Do you...

A. Sit on the bank and cry?

B. Cast again, this time a little tighter to the bank?

C. Wait five minutes, then cast again?

D. Switch flies, then cast again?

E. Size down on your tippet before you make another cast? (Anyone who follows this blog and picks this answer is DQ'd from the next caption contest...)

F. Move upstream, and cast again making a downstream presentation.

G. Accept the fact that you just were given "the fin" and find another fish?

Answer Monday, when I return from elk camp.  No elk yet... got within about 75 yards of a 6x6 yesterday morning.  Bugling and angry, but I could not move him downwind with a cow call.  (Hence the reason I took an afternoon for fishing.)

Deeter

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

C. Sit down, take a drink, eat a granola bar and try again.

from Wags wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

If it is me then first (C). When I execute (C), I also try to (B). Then likely (C) again, only then I try (D). Then (C) again only this time I go with (F), possibly mixing in a little (B). Finally I settle in on (G) and then inevitably end up at (A). Please note that at no time would I try (E) as I once heard from a pretty famous big time magazine editor that this was senseless.

Hey, does that day on the stream offer have an expiration date? The big crash of '09 bit me in the gluteous maximus this summer.

from Wags wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Where is F. Return to the truck/tent/cabin and consume medicinal quantities of Maker's Mark?

from Big Mike wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

B, then C, then D (to an ant), then A and G combined.

I've found it takes exactly the same time to drink a beer or have a smoke as it does for a trout to forget you exist. Proof that god loves us!

from Big Mike wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

... Then F, Wags is my kind of fisherman!!!

from deanlikes2fish wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

use dynamite!! im just kidding, stupid feds wont sell to me anymore.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

B.

As in I can't "B"elieve you are fishing and not chasing that 6x6.

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

A, B, and C ... sort of. I'd sit on the bank long enough to finish a pop and light up the last cigar of the season, and then drop the hopper right off his back and hope for a reaction strike. If that doesn't work, repeat ... but drop it close to the bank. If that doesn't work, swear off fishing for the day. It's cast and blast season so might as well head for the woods.

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Well, I probably would G before heading to the woods ... got to finish the cigar first.

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I like wags' solution to the problem. Then, after a couple glasses of Maker's Mark on the rocks, I'll go look for MLH and enjoy a cigar. If I find him, I'll share the bourbon. If not, I think I'm going to be drunk before I finish the cigar.

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

B, THAN C THAN H. Oh no H. I'd size down on the fly. next, I'll wait on a fish, letting 'the water rest', and that usually does the trick. Often times I'll change position, but always B, than C. If all else fails I will usually change flies, maybe a colorful stim and a beer.

from eddavidson9 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

none of the above. tie on a dropper, take a pull of Knobb Creek, and go at it

from Joseph Bishop wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I would like to chose a combination of A. and C. Just don't cry so load you spook the fish.

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Excellent way!Wags but I end the day in A) forgotten anything, even the crash;and... Let me try a downstream presentation.

from Brett Rogers wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I would use a night crawler or live minnow.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

B i'm a sore loser.

from Christian Emter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

D. He might be eating something else other than grasshoppers. Or he changed his mind on what he is going to eat at the last minute.

from Wags wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Big Mike wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

B, then C, then D (to an ant), then A and G combined.

from Big Mike wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

... Then F, Wags is my kind of fisherman!!!

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

B.

As in I can't "B"elieve you are fishing and not chasing that 6x6.

from Wags wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Brett Rogers wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I would use a night crawler or live minnow.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

C. Sit down, take a drink, eat a granola bar and try again.

from deanlikes2fish wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

use dynamite!! im just kidding, stupid feds wont sell to me anymore.

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago