Video Tip: Tap the Rod, Look like a Pro

FlyTalk

September 29, 2009

Video Tip: Tap the Rod, Look like a Pro

By Tim Romano & Kirk Deeter

Yeah, Deeter thinks he's all "pro" with this one. Me, I'm not even sure what a pro fisherman is? You guys got any strange tips like the one above that you care to share?

TR

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

tim
was that shot on your d90?

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

Deeter. That's so cool. Your like the Fonz of fly fishing.

My list of tips are more on the "do not do this" side rather than the helpful tips to make your day easier.

I'm really a big fan of the George Harvey dry fly knot but you do not hear much about it. Google it and check it out.

from Peter Fallon wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

Great post. Leaving the leader to fly line knot outside the tip top also eliminates that kink in the leader butt that comes when it wraps tightly over the tip top guide.

If you store a couple of rods together (rod tubes in a boat, perched on top of gear in the bed of the truck)they often tend to tangle with each other. After hooking the fly to a guide foot and wrapping the leader around the reel there is a belly between the leader and the rod. Grab the leader at about the mid point of the rod and wrap it around the rod a couple of times until it comes tight. Now you can stack, lay or carry a bunch of rods with much less chance of connecting them all together. Just remember to unwrap the leader around the rod before you slip it off the back of the reel and release the fly. It will become habit in short order.

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

Deeter this is soooooo Old school.... and being so is sooooo cool. I've been doing this since dinosaurs walked the earth and it is really an effective way to travel from place to place along the river, tap off the fly quickly and get to the fish you just spied rising in the distance.
Thanks for sharing another great tip.

from MLH wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

That is a great tip. Never would have thought of tapping the rod to free the fly. Who thought of that? Laziness is the mother of invention.

from timromano wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

ramcatt,

sorry been out with Cermele the past two days shooting video. Yes it was. The first day I used it. As I'm sure you noticed - I was not fully aquatinted with it.

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

i was really liking the shadows and depth in the tighter shot.

from Sportsman Matt wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

But what happens when you tap the rod and the fly doesn't drop?

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Matt... then I guess you pick it off the guides like you normally would... but it usually drops.

Buckhunter... one of the finest compliments I've ever been paid... thanks... "The Fonz"... now if I could figure out how to have the fish run to me when I snap my fingers...

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

tim
was that shot on your d90?

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

Deeter. That's so cool. Your like the Fonz of fly fishing.

from Peter Fallon wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

Thanks for sharing another great tip.

from MLH wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

ramcatt,

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

i was really liking the shadows and depth in the tighter shot.

from Sportsman Matt wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

But what happens when you tap the rod and the fly doesn't drop?