Gerber's Bear Grylls Survival Series to be Released This Week

Field Notes

February 17, 2011

Gerber's Bear Grylls Survival Series to be Released This Week

By David Maccar

by David Maccar

It’s official: Gerber’s complete Bear Grylls Survival Series of knives, tools and gear is now available to the public. The line features several products, including the flagship item, the Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife, which I reviewed last year when I got an early sample, along with the Parang Machete. The line also boats two survival kits, two different sized multi-tools (the Ultimate Multi-Tool pictured here), several folding knives and a fire starter.

The sixth season of Grylls’ survival series, Man vs. Wild, premiers tonight on the Discovery Channel and Bear will have the Ultimate Knife by his side. Let’s see how it holds up on the show.

Some readers have voiced concerns about negative reviews of the Ultimate Knife after an early beta version was offered for sale via Amazon.com. Gerber confirms there was a problem in the first run with handle strength. Some reviews claim when they used the pommel for hammering, a use for which it is intended, the handle fractured and the pommel would fall out. Even so, the knife quickly reached backordered status.

The folks at Gerber tell me the handle-strength problem was addressed and corrected for the official production run of the knife, which went on sale today.

The products will be available through retailers this week and through Geber’s website beginning March 1.

Look for my review of the Ultimate Multi-Tool, pictured above, coming soon.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

nice, i read this just 3 minutes before it ends. let us know how it works. maybe a little more heads up for those of us that work?

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

No thanks, I don't buy tools with other guys names on them, I buy tools and put my name on them.

from iron giant wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

I saw some of these knives at Wall Mart and they all said made in China. While some Chinese stuff is OK just because it is cheap, I don't want a cheap knife. European, Japanese, or best of all American made are the only options for something like a knife.
I do like the idea of replacing the glass breaker of the LMF with a hammer. If these knives didn't have Bear's name on them and they weren't made in China, I might get one.

from J4huntfish wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

ditto walt. buy a kabar

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I've looked at these knives and tools but I can't see a need for them personally. I have knives and a SOG multitool that I really like.

from benjaminwc wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Not much, if anything out there that can out do a Leatherman.

from PAShooter wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Seems like a nice knife, but all os my "survival" knives also have a cork screw.

from Dale Reisert wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I personally will NOT buy anything made in China or has some celebrities name on it, first China made goods are inferior and most are junk, second why pay extra to have a name on it just to line the pockets of that person.

Gerber use to make quality American made goods,they got Greedy and now all of their stuff is made in China by some underpaid underage unskilled person.

A few years ago I bought a pair of Gerber rachet cutting plyers not knowing they where made in China, they broke the first time I used them, inferior Junk.

Regarding Bear Grylls STUNTS most are very dangerous and if many are attemted you would be in a World of hurt or worse.

Buy American and don't buy anything that has a celebrities name on it, the price will be inflated to give the Celebrity a kick back and you are going to pay that hidden fee added to the price.

Also look close at anything you buy and if it says distributed by, then you know the manufacture is probably hiding the fact that its made in China.

I have know Idea how they can get away with it and it should be stopped.

Seawolf

from Blue Ox wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I'll stick with what I know is proven.
If I can't do it with my KaBar, it probably can't be done.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

My idea for the multi tool is to make them customizable so that I have just the right tool and keys for working around the plantation, and I want the tool to be centered around strong ratcheting pruners which I consider to be the most useful trail blazing tool, and just the correct hexagon keys to work on my bow, arrows, and ,maybe throw in a tire gauge, and a compass, and a scalpel like blade to clean small game. Like all good ideas it will evolve so I say take it to the next level, and if any American entrepreneurs want to work on this idea and build it in America-kewl. FYI using a machete to cut briars is not effective, you have to cut them into the ground and they will still scratch you because they will remain attached to higher branches. I don't hate Bear, because I respect his climbing ability and I enjoy climbing myself best sport to get you fit fast.

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Bear Grylls. Whatever.

from tarditi wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

1) Gerber is now Fiskars... the scissor company.
2) Bear is an entertainer.

Want cheap branded stuff? Fine - have at it.

Want real survivor knives? Look to ESEE or Becker/KaBar
Want real survivor info? Look to Cody Lundin, Dave Canterbury, Ron Hood, Lofty Wiseman, Mors Kochanski, etc.

from tkbone wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I had a Gerber multi-tool that wasn't bad, but the design was completely inferior to the Leatherman since the pliers didn't fold all the way in and constantly ripped holes in my pockets. It looks like this tool may have corrected that, but I still think the Leatherman's going to be a superior product.

from blackhatarcher wrote 3 years 4 days ago

what about Less Stroud. He realy is awsome. He has no camera crew and has to film everything himself. Surviving and carrying heavy camera stuff. Wow. A tesomony to Bear watch the episode when he is in the florida everglades and listen closly when he makes his first shelter. The crew are the ones making it while he looks for bedding.

from fromthepeavine wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

Les Stroud's show is way better

from billyjo bondurant wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I 'd like to own one.

from Gimpergoo wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Wife bought me the multi tool and the knife, the multi tool is cool and works great, the knife is ok but not like my sog sealpup.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

from Dale Reisert wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I have know Idea how they can get away with it and it should be stopped.

Seawolf

from iron giant wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

from benjaminwc wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Not much, if anything out there that can out do a Leatherman.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

from PAShooter wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Bear Grylls. Whatever.

from J4huntfish wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

ditto walt. buy a kabar

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I'll stick with what I know is proven.
If I can't do it with my KaBar, it probably can't be done.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from tarditi wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

1) Gerber is now Fiskars... the scissor company.
2) Bear is an entertainer.

Want cheap branded stuff? Fine - have at it.

Want real survivor knives? Look to ESEE or Becker/KaBar