Outdoor TV Goes “Big Time”

Whitetail 365

October 21, 2009

Outdoor TV Goes “Big Time”

By Scott Bestul

I’ll start with a confession; I have watched very little outdoor television. That’s partly design, but mostly accident. When we moved into our current home our twins were just babies; when Shari and I weren’t too darn busy tending kids, we were just too tired to tune in. So we put off ordering cable or satellite, and our rabbit ears pick up nothing but local stations, and poorly (we live in the country). By the time we had baby-raising under control (assuming that’s possible) we realized we didn’t miss television much and just never got back to it. We’ve got a tv, but it’s little more than a movie-watching tool

But I realize there’s an abundance of outdoor shows on the tube these days, and if they’re anything like the hunting DVD’s I do watch (and often enjoy), they’re fairly similar. The star of the show (and/or team members) go on hunts that are usually successful, and we appreciate their expertise at finding deer and shooting them.

The other day a friend sent me a link to a different kind of outdoor TV. The show is titled “Jimmy Big Time” and it is a tongue-in-cheek peek at an outdoor anti-hero; a relatively clueless dolt who spooks game, mangles equipment and generally makes a fool of himself. Definitely not the typical approach to the genre.

Take a look at the attached clips and share your critique. Though I’ve not watched an entire episode—for obvious reasons—I found the clips available on the website pretty amusing. What are your thoughts? Have you already tuned in to “Jimmy Big Time”? If not, does this sample motivate you to do so?

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

just watched this show for the first time last week and couldn't stop laughing. love the comical approach.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

I think Ted Barta was the original tongue-in-cheek hunting show. Side note: Have we heard anything else about his health since comming down with a weird case this summer?

from Krebsquad wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

I just watched my first episode of this show. It was HILARIOUS! I immediately set my DVR to record all new episodes. My son will be hunting deer for the first time in Michigan this November. He has become addicted to outdoor programming. This is his new "favorite" show.

from ckRich wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

"No animals were harmed in the making of this television show... except the ones we ate."

hahahaha, I like that!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

O'BROTHER!

WHAT A HOOT!

from kolbster wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

thuroy i was on outdoor life earlier today and they had a thing about ted barta and how he is doing.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

That looked like me trying to put on the safety harness hahahah.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Funny!!!!

from nunyabinis wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

That's funny right there!!!

I don't watch many hunting shows but a week without Duck Commander is a bad week indeed. And I don't even duck hunt. Even the missus enjoys watching Duck Commander.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Thank you kolbster.

from Thomas Murray wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

I caught a bit of this show the other day on TOC and for a second I was like, what the heck is this guy doing? After I realized it was a farce (I'm slow on the uptake) I laughed my head off. We need more shows like this, because I'm sick of watching Whitetail shows that show all these monster bucks that I'm never going to get to shoot. I'm sure they spend a ton of time in stand, and have great access, and wonderful editing, but every time I went out hunting, I had become conditioned to expect to shoot the 150" "small guys" that must be lurking behind every tree in the woods, right? I mean, Gruber and Ciancurulo and Lakoskys and Potts and Eastmans are always shooting monsters, so it must be easy, right? (Again, I am slow on the uptake)

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Thomas Murray wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Proof once again that the Outdoor Channel will take $13,000 from any idiot with a camera and game footage.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

that's a trend I've noticed lately in outdoor tv is the family and just having fun with friends aspect of the hunt.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Whoo-whee!This guy's a riot!

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

from thuroy wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

hahahaha, I like that!

from kolbster wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

from Krebsquad wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

O'BROTHER!

WHAT A HOOT!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

That looked like me trying to put on the safety harness hahahah.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Funny!!!!

from nunyabinis wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

That's funny right there!!!

from thuroy wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

Thank you kolbster.

from Thomas Murray wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Whoo-whee!This guy's a riot!

from Thomas Murray wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago