Chad Love: A Back Seat Full of Memories

Field Notes

February 17, 2010

Chad Love: A Back Seat Full of Memories

By Chad Love

It's late February and I hear the click of my seasonal odometer rolling over once again. It's time to back the truck into the driveway, grab the shop-vac and start clearing away the accumulated detritus of the past hunting season. No more birds, no more deer and no more ducks until I start hearing the whispered promise of fall on the late August wind. Time to sweep out the dog box and replace shotgun shells and game bags with bumpers and launchers. Hunting season's over, but training season isn't and there's much to do before next year's first bird is brought to hand.

Sorting through the cab of the truck is like an archeological dig, a grimy chronology of the past six months: Dog hair. Candy wrappers. Spent hulls. Feathers. Mismatched gloves. Mud. Pens and notebooks. Dog-eared copies of the hunting regs. Chewed-up bumpers. A chewed-up road atlas. Chewed-up water bottles. A bird-hunting vest with not nearly enough dried blood in the game bag. A forgotten duck call stuffed between the seats. An unopened package of string cheese that looks like it's slowly developing life.

Just random stuff, the same kind of random stuff we all accumulate over the course of a season, but if you could somehow divine a measure of truth out of it all, what would it say about you?

My garbage would probably say this:  this guy's obviously neither rich nor very successful. He can't shoot very well and his dogs are dirty, misbehaved, slobber too much and apparently one of them yacked on the passenger seat. He eats too much junk food and his son isn't very good at putting the cap back on the BB container. But that's OK. Dogs are supposed to shred things of value, slobber and barf on the passenger seat. Young boys are supposed to spill BBs and feed part of their candy bars to the dogs, who then barf all over your passenger seat. This isn’t junk I'm sweeping out the truck: It's six months of memories

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Funny, I do the same thing only in late fall when fishing season ends. My truck is clean as a whistle in the winter

from ilikehunting wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

awesome story!! i couldnt agree more..i found two empty bottles of scent-away and a pair of camo jeans in my back seat this year!

from blackdawgz wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

All looks right to me! Didn't know there were others.Onliest difference is the bird droppings in the bed from early Fall training.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

I still need to do this, but it'll have to wait till after ice fishing is over.

from chongo70 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

I'd like to say I clean out my truck but then I'd just be kidding myself. One season runs into the next and before you know it you've got you're ice rod bag piled on your shotguns. I think the last time I actually cleaned my truck was 2 years ago when I picked up my girlfriend for one of our first dates. I don't know how anybody gets along without a truck.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

yeah I am in the same boat. clean the truck at the start of every semester and at the end of each season. best on is the blood soaked Rules and regulations Nursing in the state of DE. It was not human blood by the way.

from seadog wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Hey chongo70, about 22 years ago, I picked up a girl for a first date in my rusty, dented, dirty 10 year old F-150. You couldn't see the floorboards & I had to move stuff so she could sit down. Not the best first impression, but she's now my wife. She's gotten used to it--a dirty truck is just part of my masculine charm. lol

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Great story Chad and so true. The sad task of cleaning out the truck came my way a week or so ago. The only bright spot was the close to $2 in change I found laying on the floor. But really, does the season ever really end?

from tbogg10 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

haha so true... i always clean out my truck, then it just attracts stuff, i cant explain it.

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Mine has still got empty gatorade bottles, feathers, and a pair of dry socks stored in a backseat cupholder just in case. Even when I do clean it out, I like to leave a few feathers floating around inside for ambience.

from Ed J wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

A empty truck
gathers stuff.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

I always have a shooting stick, camel back, binos and a varmint gun in my truck. When hunting season gets here I just add camo, gear and another gun. In the off season I have tractor parts, gatoraid bottles and tools everywhere. What would we do without 4wd trucks?

from GERG wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Actually found rye grass sprouting in th back floorboard of one of my huntin trucks. Figured it was time to clean it out a little bit. Im pretty sure rust and dirt are all that is still holding it together!LOL

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

I just noticed last night that there were shells, spent and unspent that had fallen out of my vest rolling around in the back in the middle of the treestand and piles of clothing and gear that are back there. The winter to spring cleaning doesn't worry me so much. The fall cleaning is a bit more thorough. It's amazing how small hooks seem to escape all containers and get caught up in the back of the truck. It takes a good cleaning to make sure they and dog paws never meet.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Just wait until season is over 28 Feb 2010, and see what I pull out of my truck. I'll have a picture for you Rackaloadians shortly after season ends!

from chongo70 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

seadog - Ha Ha Ha! So true. My lady is generally pretty impressed with the situations I can get myself into and then out of with just the miscellaneous whatnot bouncing around in my truck. Sometimes I even impress myself. My buddies love ridin' with me too cause if you dig around long enough you can usually find something to eat.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Well, that's what I'm gettin' ready to do too, although I'm waitin' on this foot and a half of snow to rid itself before I do any "deep cleaning."

I went through my truck and gathered all of my loose articles ... I did find my deer call that I thought I had dropped in the woods and four 30/30 shells a missionary friend left behind while in the states from Jamaica.

Lookin' at Chad's picture makes want to go huntin'... I guess I'll have to settle for sheds!

from Jacob A. Craig wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Its always kind of fun to clean your truck out after all the hunting seasons are over. Like he said in the article its nothing but good memories and fun times that you think about. I could probably let my truck set until opening day next year hop in the truck and have all the stuff to go out and harvest something just from lost or misplaced things of mine

from Don Mitchell wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

It never fails to amaze me the thing i find in the back seat of my truck.Great post Chad.

from 007 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Sounds like the end of bear season. My truck to me is like Batman's utility belt is to him.

from Wags wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Chad....my man we are kindred spirits. That used to be me, but now I am driving my truck as my day to day company vehicle. I have to have that purging every weekend so I can drive it to work on Monday. Just how much hair can one English Setter produce?

from dighunter wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I just cleaned the last of the spent shotgun shells and coyote blood out the truck bed this past weekend. Like most others, I clean only to be refilled with other stuff, or the same stuff all over again.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I replaced waterfowl shotgun shells with waders for walk in white bass festivals. One piece of gear that really impressed me was the lensor lazer headlamp it is truly a game changer. Cheers,taking a tired truck and turning into the UDV will make a good piece, in the mean time I think fixing my AC will be my project.

from Treestand wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I just replaced all four tires on my F150 from BFG to Good years A/T,oil and Filter change,fuel filter,air filter, now im ready for this season.

from Bellringer wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I wash my truck once a year whether or not it needs it.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

I still need to do this, but it'll have to wait till after ice fishing is over.

from chongo70 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

from Wags wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from dighunter wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Treestand wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from Bellringer wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I wash my truck once a year whether or not it needs it.