Hurteau: What Does Your Little Dear Play? Grunt Call or Duck Call?

Whitetail 365

February 17, 2010

Hurteau: What Does Your Little Dear Play? Grunt Call or Duck Call?

By Dave Hurteau

It happens to families everywhere. Little Johnny’s parents want him to play the bassoon, but Little Johnny wants to play the drums. You give your kid a grunt call, but they don’t stick with it. You try to explain that subtlety is a virtue, but they’re drawn to sheer volume. You know the grunt will be your kid’s constant companion eventually (and that it’s pretty much the only call you can give them to wail on right now without making your spouse hate you). But it’s no good. The grunt is the bassoon of game calls. No volume. No flash. The second they get their hands on a duck call, crow call, or—God help you—pileated woodpecker call, it’s over. The grunt call winds up on the floor, forgotten, ignored, not even second fiddle—like the one in this video.

Seriously, to my fellow parents, it’s crazy isn’t it? There’s just no end to the amount pleasure you can take from listening to your infant blast away on your game calls. There should be. No doubt about that. But there isn’t.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Don't give your child a duck call when they are sitting in the car seat 3 feet behind you in the truck.

from RichardF wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Gave mine an elk cal, she doesn't have enough wind in her to get it to bugle though.

from MLH wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

They really like the electric calls - wouldn't start with predators, though.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

some people only give thier kids crack. we give them our game calls. my daughters are partial to my goose flute call.

from Douglas wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Great idea! I have a couple firearms stowed for my grandson, but had not thought of game calls. I have a wood duck squealer that he can use. If his momma complains, I'll blame you.
As for my grown "dears", their years of vidiot game playing have them more prone to using a remote on an electronic predator call than doing the work of actually blowing one.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Gave mine a lohman fighting bucks rattle and a grunt call drove his mom crazy..
Can you imagine a 2 yr old runnin round rattlin and gruntin

I've let him practice with duck call, grunt, bleat, rattle and a power crow,

Good stuff and funny. If you ever want to find out if your new call is worth the money let a kid use it.

from backlash wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

My two year old daughter was infatuated with my turkey hunting stuff last spring. The owl hooter and crow call were here favorites. We went out on the deck and started blasting on the crow call and next thing you know a couple are circling overhead - she was pretty excited by that - "Daddy, call the crows!" Maybe in a couple years she will help in calling some turkeys.

from Casey Walker wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

My daughter loves to blow my coyote calls and annoy her mother! LOL, My 2 year old son loves to try to immitate ducks and geese we see on TV hunting shows and in person. They both love to work with the calls. Lots of fun for me.

from Judd McCullum wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

After I called my wife over to the computer to check something out on the F&S website, I got the requisite what-will-I-have-to-endure-now look. She laid eyes on a cute little girl, and suddenly my game call collection became that much more acceptable. Thanks guys!

from steve182 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

an old grunt call and bleet can are pretty popular with my kids

from dighunter wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Practicing my coyote howling in the truck is usually unacceptable until my daughter gets to blow on the rabbit squealer also. Such a double standard.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

If you want you kid to hunt with you don't allow any of those electronic games in the house. Like above give them a call. Preferably one to big to choke on. Teach them to read books too. They might grow up to be a Doctor or Engineer. We don't need anymore lawyers.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

from RichardF wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

They really like the electric calls - wouldn't start with predators, though.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Gave mine a lohman fighting bucks rattle and a grunt call drove his mom crazy..
Can you imagine a 2 yr old runnin round rattlin and gruntin