Anchorage Outfits Fleet of Trucks to Salvage Road-Kill Moose

Field Notes

March 02, 2010

Anchorage Outfits Fleet of Trucks to Salvage Road-Kill Moose

By Online Editors

From the Anchorage Daily News:
The city of Anchorage and the Alaska Moose Federation have teamed up speed removal of road-kill moose from area roads. Using a state grant, four trucks have been outfitted with winches that can quickly get a carcass off the road and deliver it to wherever a charity wants it, reports KTUU.

To protect passing cars and charity workers, police officers stood on scene, sometimes for hours.

"Butchering it alongside the road creates a lot of problems, both a traffic hazard and it's an attractive nuisance. People watching as that happens, they often have accidents," said Anchorage Police Lt. Dave Parker.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

More Moose are killed on the train tracks during winter and on road ways than all other deaths combined

from VAHunter540 wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

Good idea nice to see they can put the meat to good use, or at least the parts that can be salvaged.

from Bella wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

Practical Alaskans! Suprised they didn't do something like this sooner, is logical!

from gman3186 wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

thats good they have that alot of meat on a moose dont want to waste it

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

I'm sure the expense of a officer standing by for hours played a greater role in the decision.Problem is that if that it is not field dressed before transport,the meat will degrade and some rights group will complain that some other starving souls are being fed inferior protein.Then all future roadkill will be disposed of.Although a 1000 lbs. might not degrade very fast, that was the argument made in Illinois about the deer donated to food pantries.I wish them well .

from labrador12 wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

This program has been going on for years in Ak. Who do you think is the primary recipient group of the charity? Moose is a popular food in Ak.

from KyleKortright wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

good use of what is less, but they have to get them right after they're hit.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

Sounds like a good plan to me. Hopefully it works out to the benefit of those in need

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

As a Conservation Officer in the early 70's I picked up road kill deer and they were taken to schools, jails and other institutions to be used. However this practice was stopped because the people were not getting "government inspected " meat. I am surprised that Alaska is getting by with this and I do think it is a good idea. After they quit letting me donate them to the institutions I found private citizens that were eager to salvage what they could from the animals. From my experience I made the decision as to whether the animal was okay for human consumption. I never had a private citizen complain that they got sick from eating one of these deer. In our rural areas eating wild game is a way of life. Someone from the city cannot relate to these things and to these ways.

from jr9893 wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

I think it is a great idea to salvage the meat. there are a lot of people that could use it. my family has been picking up fresh road killed deer for years.

from VAHunter540 wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

from gman3186 wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

thats good they have that alot of meat on a moose dont want to waste it

from labrador12 wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

from KyleKortright wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

good use of what is less, but they have to get them right after they're hit.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago