Feeling Angry? Blame Global Warming

Field Notes

March 26, 2010

Feeling Angry? Blame Global Warming

By Chad Love

If you believe the level of rancor and hostility in the debate over global warming seems particularly high, there might be a reason for that, and that reason might be...wait for it...global warming! At least according to this story...

From National Geographic:

Global warming could make the world a more violent place, because higher temperatures increase human aggression and create volatile situations, a new study says.

The report combined government data about average yearly temperatures with statistics on the number of violent crimes committed between 1950 and 2008. Based on those records, the authors estimate that if the average temperature in the U.S. increases by 8 degrees Fahrenheit (4.4 degrees Celsius), the country's murder and assault rate will jump by about a hundred thousand cases a year. A 2007 report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change projected that global surface temperatures could rise by 2 to 11.5 degrees Fahrenheit (1.1 to 6.4 degrees Celsius) by 2100 if no mitigating steps are taken. Higher temperatures can increase human aggression in myriad ways, said study co-author Matthew DeLisi , a sociologist at Iowa State University (See "Global Warming Likely Causing More Heat Waves, Scientists Say"). Brad Bushman , a psychologist at the University of Michigan who specializes in human aggression, agreed. "Hot temperatures make people cranky and irritable," said Bushman, who did not participate in the new research. "Cranky, irritable people are prone to aggression."

So the next time you lose your temper, remember: it's not your fault. It's just global warming.

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I'm guessing my skepticism regarding global warming is also fueled by global warming induced anger. It's a vicious cycle.

from MLH wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

So what explains the typical gentle nature of Southerners when the temperatures in the South are routinely more than 11 degrees higher than in the much more aggressive North?

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

My digestive tract was a little off its game this morning. Good to know I can blame it on global warming, as opposed to what I ate last night, and what I washed it down with.

from bdarak wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I wonder if the researchers factored in the increase in population and population densities in to their study???

from Mark J wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Actually as crazy as it sounds the data does back up the claim for the most part. This is a chart from Wikipedia depicting the number of violent crimes per 100,000 citizens on a state by state basis.
Obviously correlation is not causation and there are obviously other factors that contribute but the data does show the trend that warmer states generally have more violent crime.
Just to note, I don't think that this issue is of any serious concern to anyone, and I don't think a one or two degree temperature increase will make everyone go nuts, but it is something interesting to think about.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

When I feel angry about global warming I blame Al Gore... or is it the other way around...

from seadog wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is great news--now I've got an excuse for any crazy thing I might decide to do--I couldn't help it--the global warming made me do it!!! Beats the heck out of trying to blame it on Jack Daniels!

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Now if a man shoots another man during a argument over global warming can that man use global warming in his defence?

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Really? Then why aren't people living in Arizona, Texas, Nevada (arid states) all out killing each other? With their guns??

By that same logic, Australia should be devoid of human life then.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

"government data..." yes, this report of the STUPID kind was paid for by our tax dollars!Let's waste more money on another study- "How to cope with Global Warming Aggression Disorder"

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is a redicoulus accusation towards blaming items on global warming

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Bella wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Australia, if you checked, is largely devoid of life...
This is all likely, you rarely see bad science in National Geographic.
This warm early spring is certainly good evidence for global warming in my eyes.
Deny global warming as young as you can remain dissassociative, it won't do any good. Denial never helps.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from daghow wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Global warming is a fact that can be traced back through history. It has happened before and then dissipated, and it will likely happen again. The questions are: did we accelerate it and if we stop the acceleration will it slow down to a point that will allow us to adapt? I do believe that indeed we did accelerate it. I'm not sure that if we slow it down, even if it gives us time to adapt that we would do so. However, I think that as a race of advanced animals (yes I said animals, that's were our hated comes in you see we too turn wild like a domesticated tiger or bear from time to time however we have the capacity to turn back to our timid selves for the most part) that we must continually strive to make the world a better place for our children just as we try to give them things that we didn't or did have and enjoy as kids. Another question that comes to mind is: is stopping or reversing the affects of global warming going to stop about the above quoted numbers of 100,000 cases of violent crimes a year? I think that has already been addressed quite well by a few of the above comments such as bdarack and Mark j to mention a few.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

More gloom and doom. That's all we need.

from supratax wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

So that's what's wrong with all the terrorists-Global Warming is making them hate us.

from MPN wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

So when my wife gets mad it's global warming! I thought that was called something else....

from jamesti wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

all the more reason for us stable minded people to own guns. load up!

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

That's a very flawed study, here's the real scoop.
Global warming has nothing to do with it.
The real villain is population density, the more people, the more violence.
Proof? Population in the Arctic is very low, as is violence.
Population in New York city is very high, as is violence.
Any questions?

from Ed J wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Bee,
The other way around, do you mean when you're angry with Al Gore you blame Global Warming?

from jakenbake wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Doesn't surprise me -- the violent crime rate always seems to spike in the summer time around here. Of course, some of it probably has to do with young ruffians having too much time on their hands, but the heat never helps anything.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Global warming is total hogwash, there are just too many statistics that point to it being a total farce. Lets try and find something else for our lack of self control!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

According to a CJ class I took the only reason crime picks up in the summer is because it's much warmer at night. Not because it's so hot that people get ticked off easier. I am far easier to get along with when I am hot than when I am cold.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I bet there can be proven correlation between Al Gore's Gulfstream/hours of use and global warming........

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Nor to mention his 20,000 square foot house, olympic sized swimming pool 1 Mile well lit driveway and all
the rest

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

O lordy, a couple liberal wackos got their pants in a twist, I love it when that happens.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from daghow wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from bdarak wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Mark J wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from MPN wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

all the more reason for us stable minded people to own guns. load up!

from MLH wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from supratax wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

That's a very flawed study, here's the real scoop.
Global warming has nothing to do with it.
The real villain is population density, the more people, the more violence.
Proof? Population in the Arctic is very low, as is violence.
Population in New York city is very high, as is violence.
Any questions?

from jakenbake wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

By that same logic, Australia should be devoid of human life then.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

More gloom and doom. That's all we need.

from Ed J wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Bella wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Australia, if you checked, is largely devoid of life...
This is all likely, you rarely see bad science in National Geographic.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report