Obama Administration Announces Conference on America’s Great Outdoors

Field Notes

March 29, 2010

Obama Administration Announces Conference on America’s Great Outdoors

By Chad Love

From the Obama Administration press release:

WASHINGTON – Obama Administration Officials announced today that they will host a White House Conference on America’s Great Outdoors on Friday, April 16, 2010. Nancy Sutley, Chair of the White House Council on Environmental Quality, Ken Salazar, Secretary of the Interior, and Tom Vilsack, Secretary of Agriculture are leading the conference, which will address the challenges, opportunities and innovations surrounding modern-day land conservation and the importance of reconnecting Americans and American families to the outdoors.

“America’s outdoors are part of our national identity. They are the farms, ranches and forests that we take great pride in, and the neighborhood parks, trails and fields where we spend memorable time with our families and friends,” said Nancy Sutley, Chair of the White House Council on Environmental Quality. “Too many of these places are disappearing. In launching this conversation, we strive to learn about the smart, creative community efforts underway throughout the country to conserve our outdoor spaces, and hear how we can support these efforts.”

“Across the country, Americans are working to protect the places they know and love, from the streams they fished as children and the parks where families gather together to the battlefields and buildings that tell America’s story,” said Ken Salazar, Secretary of the Interior. “The Conference is a great chance to learn about these efforts, start a new dialogue about conservation in America, and find ways to further the work that is already going on in cities and towns, counties and states throughout the country.”

...This conference will bring together leaders from communities across the country that are working to protect their outdoor spaces. Participants will include working ranchers and farmers, sportsmen and women, State and local government leaders, Tribal leaders, public lands experts, conservationists, youth leaders, business representatives and others who view the outdoors as integral to their communities. The discussion will center on the conservation opportunities in communities, the challenges facing them, and the innovative solutions they are crafting from the bottom up.

As hunters and anglers, what would you like to see addressed at this conference?

from labrador12 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

How do we get the government's foot off our necks? Lets check the carbon footprint and the price tag for this PR stunt. After the government spends years defining any problem they designate a government mandated solution that is so expensive and complex that only officially designated government employees can be allowed to do the remedial work. If I shoot a hawk, I go to jail, and rightly so, if a wind power generator chews up 50 hawks and eagles it is a great day for the environment. Placing 20,000 square miles of solar panels in the southwest would be a bigger disaster than all the oil wells ever drilled in the history of the country. Yet solar panels are praised and oil drilling is demonized. Wind generators will kill more birds than DDT and will be about as nondiscriminatory. Don't forget the famous non-truth, we're from the government, and we're here to help. Don't forget we have to pay for their crapola too!

from deerstalker wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Wow this is something that we really need, and for sportsmen this is a great oppurtunity to voice our thoughts and opinions. Personally I want to see more land added to natioanl parks and forests and to create more community parks because they do a lot of good for the community.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I would like to see the Federal government get out of the State's business for once.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I would be LESS against this if a bunch of antigun antihunting liberals were not going to make the choices. Federal government is too big and trying to control everything. I am very scared for what the future holds. Sportsmen/woman please see why this is potentially very very bad for us and our hobbies and lifestyle.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Sounds as if another great federal land gobble is in the works. Anything the feds get their paws on is generally paws off for the general public, sometimes known as "We the People."

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I hate to jump at shadows, but I find that the failure to mention the "woods we hunt or hunted" in this sentence "Across the country, Americans are working to protect the places they know and love, from the streams they fished as children and the parks where families gather together to the battlefields and buildings that tell America’s story,” bothers me.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I thought the same jcarlin!

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

have you noticed with this administration, that almost every thing the government comes to "help" with, they end up practically owning? i am not encouraged!

from chongo70 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Once upon a time, say, like my college years, I considered myself more liberal than conservative, but as I get older I find myself siding with the Republican party more and more. What the liberals are doing to our government and nation seriously scares me, it gives me that old pit in my stomach kind of feeling. It makes me wonder who they are actually listening to. As far as this conference goes I'd like to see them discuss more funding for wetlands and CRP, give farmers back the money for not planting crops but planting CRP 'cause ethanol is not the answer.

from jbird wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I truly hope the "sportsmen and women" mentioned in the story include some real hunters who can address more public access, and stress the importance of hunting as a true conservation tool. I agree w/ jcarlin, no mention of hunting or hunters in the press release does bother me a bit. I'm not gonna' worry about it too much, but it doesn't make me feel warm or fuzzy. I personally think the new word for "hunters" is "sportsmen" in DC, at least I hope so.

from HuntingKS wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

As some other comments have alluded to, I'm wary of anything this administration gets involved in. Is this a front for a different agenda? Perhaps the first step or a pretext to increasing government control.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I would like to see the conference address abuses of the General Mining Act of 1872. Seems like the law as written requires that people owning a mining claim on Federal land have to be citizens of the United States. But, locally, we have a Canadian owned company says it has claims on Federal land to dump mine waste from a proposed open pit mine. And to make the whole thing absurd, the raw hardrock ore is going to be exported to China for smelting; the copper sulfite ores are going to be leached in a giant acid bath that will seep into the local aquifer.

So it's basically a plan to kill a couple of square miles of great publically owned hunting ground so that some Canadians can get rich on American copper while creating jobs in China and leaving a toxic waste dump for US Citizens to clean up. Something about that just ain't right.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Next thing you know Obama and his cronies will be regulating our out door activities under the interstate commerce act...

Get out of the states business and stay out!

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Keeping dishing the -'s for my post. I spoke what I felt is a legitimate concern. If you don't agree with me please post why.

from blackdawgz wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

It should, by this point, be obvious to the casual observer that the Democratic Party is owned and controlled by ruthless business interests.

They can and do spew marketing hype while they raise the Jolly Roger in a permanent way on potential sources of exploitation.

To them it is a joke.

The words they use are nauseating: Reconstruction, Reform, etc.

What we're facing is the homogenization of the public for the purpose of fleecing by a totally centralized government whose business partner is Big Business (The Korporation).

Rember Rollerball?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

If Obama and the U.S. Congress are here to help us with our enjoyment of the great outdoors, we are screwed, period. Both are as useless as teats on a boar hog. End of story.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Main problem I see is that the more the Government pushes conservation, the less access and opportunities the public has to use it's wild lands....main problem with the disconnect most have with the wilds is this whole PC stay off the grass, and just look at the woods, idea that has been pushed for the last 30 years...how can people truly understand the wild places if they don't actually interact with them, as most hunters do.....would be like me trying to manage a big cities traffic while only going there once a year and taking a couple pics of the tourist sites...I'd have no idea on how to do so.....

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

The first thing that caught my eye was that fishing was specified but hunting wasn't mentioned, of course the Obama crowd would not be politically correct if they mentioned hunting. Another big bunch of bulls### from the federal government.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Yeah I can just vision this one-- In order to protect these prestien lands sportsmen are no longer allowed access to them!!

from YooperJack wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I'm concerned that townships with large percentages of Federal Forest are the poorest townships around. They have to educate their kids and plow their roads like the rest of us. I'm also concerned that, while the feds own a lot of the land, every year they seem to restrict more access. This will impact the amount of hunters and fishers some day.

from Steward wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

One of the biggest problems with the current Federal government is the apparent attitude that they can make everything better. What they need to do is draw back their tentacles and leave the American people to live in peaceful liberty.

Obviously, we have Federal parks and they must be managed by the Federal government. But everytime this government has a "conversation", it is a prelude to radical "change."

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

the reason you didn't see hunters or hunting was because when this administration gets through with things, there won't be any. the states are gonna have to keep standing up to this new government if we are going to avoid a serious issue later.

from WeatherbySven87 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

the only real problem with this is that the government will do what it has been doing since the obamanation got elected: ignoring the views and oppinions of everybody and not listen to any reasonable viewpoint. in the end it will be left up to just a couple people who "know whats best" for us and we wont even find out what they have done till its too late

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

The rest of you can p@#s and moan all you want. I'm going to send email to three of my so called reps. and suggest a positive action. Affirmative action people, give it a try.

Shawnee National Forest in southern IL. covers the lower part of the state from east to west, however it is fragmented by private property that makes forest and wildlife management more difficult. Buy all the private property in the Shawnee management district, putting lots of money in the economy, pay workers to remove roads and buildings on that purchased property ( puts more money into the economy) , pay workers to plant trees, construct shelters and put in camp sites (more money into the economy), consolidate the forest from east to west and promote Woodland concessions, guide service, hunting camps, boat ramps and rentals, camping sites with concessions. Support an economy based almost entirely on outdoor recreational interests. This will improve the economic status of a low income area and bring in finances from all over the world, and demonstrate to all the real value of managed forested lands.
Not much chance of this getting serious attention, but I'll clean this up and suggest that "Obama" could be mentioned in the same company with Roosevelt and Pinchot
in American history.
Three emails sent just might help.

from Cgull wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Hmmm, This could be the next big F@#$@#^ing!

from RANGERMANZ20 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Yep sounds like a smoke screen effect going on here. Once these nut jobs gets their feet in the door on this we are truely screwed they need to be stopped in NOVEMBER we are turning into the next USSR, at least there they still got to hunt and fish. It's so funny how soon the American People forget how crazy these Dems are, we are repeating the same thing from the clinton years, and old jimmy carter the peanut farmer times. And all of this spurs from just two ares of the country California and NewYork, but yet they get to speak for us all. The common man has been forgotten in this country. I hope there is real change this November.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Good news is hopefully this conference takes too long and Obama and his cohorts are booted before it happens.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from labrador12 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I predict that Chad will tell us that DU and Trout U and all kinds of organizations up to and including the ghost of Mother Teresa are all going to gush over the wonderfulness of this meeting. The endangered species is not the Bald Eagle or the Polar Bear, it's the individual. The government is in charge of spreading the Natural Wealth of North America around to those who couldn't access it before. It's all about the community, not the individual. It's the Chicago Way, the new and improved Washington Way, get used to it.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from rock rat wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Thank you for asking what I'd like to see addressed.

I know Field and Stream must have been invited at least as press, and I figure you really want to know if I have any requests.

I need access. Access to land to hunt and shoot on.

I live close to a municipality with one of the largest municipal parks in the United States, it is overpopulated with deer, bear, lion and often elk. The county is also buying land as fast as they can. Both the city and the county have placed all hunting off limits. Often the county will buy land from private holders in a patch of national forest in hopes of trading with the forest service for a piece of land they want to make the county lands bigger and more contiguous.

Also the Nature Conservancy and extremely wealthy out of state investors are buying up old ranches where locals used to be allowed to hunt. No one ever visits or uses these tracts of land but they are now off limits to hunting.

Out on the flat lands the largest shooting range for miles has been turned into half million dollar houses surrounding a golf course. There is no public place to go shoot, within easy driving distance.

I need access. Access to land to hunt and shoot on.

from nwild wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Exposure is generally a good thing for us. We need more people to relized that it's our tags and excise taxes that keep things afloat...not to mention being the right hand of the DNR. However, I agree that both sides of the aisle have a tendency to crap on outdoorsmen at the national level.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Do you really think this conference will address any benefit hunters have on the wildlife?

Also, I agree with rock rat. I want more public land that I can shoot/hunt on.

I also want the hunters view to be taken as seriously as the anti-hunters view.

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I think they ought to address the public problem of allowing ranchers to not allow livestock to graze on public land

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from trout26805 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

When will the government mind their own business and let us Fish & Hunt. I have been doing fine on the water for 50 years and need no goverment help!
They just had a lot of fishermen here from the east coast go to Washington DC and form the guys I know they were told more or less by his majesty " My way or the highway"
They could care less about the tackle and marine industry. Thats jobs your highness and you could care less. Whats going to happen to the young fisherman by the time he's done a can of Tuna will be hard too catch !
All I can say is Washington, Noaa & PEW leave us the
H _ _ _ alone !

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from thebiggesttreei... wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

If sportsmen can't put aside our problems with "antigun antihunting liberals" (some liberals hunt too) than all of us are going to lose out on our natural heritage. The congressman who talks about gun rights today has a meeting scheduled tomorrow with a logging/mining/insert your extractive industry here concern that will destroy the places we hunt, unless all voters who care focus on that common enemy. Cabelas fans and REI fans need to come together on this.

from Ozark Hunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I don't care who you are or what you believe in, this is funny.

Gun Control
Barack Obama at a recent rural elementary school assembly in East Texas, asked the audience for total quiet. Then, in the silence, he started to
slowly clap his hands once every few seconds, holding the audience in total silence.

Then he said into the microphone, 'Children, every time I clap my hands together,
a child in America dies from gun violence.'

Then, little Richard Earl, with a proud East Texas drawl, pierced the quiet and said:
''Well, dumbass, stop clapping!'

-Larry The Cable Guy

from 007 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I don't much care what he says, I don't trust him until I see proof, which I doubt will happen. He's still a liberal socialist, no matter the packaging or advertising to the contrary.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Don't just write three of your congress critters write the ENTIRE State Delegation, that is what I do. Some state have many more than three.

from cmrosko wrote 4 years 1 week ago

Raising public awareness and addressing ideas and action for a greater appreciation of wildlife, conservation practices and land use is a very good and much needed thing, no matter "who" is doing it. Even the bible advises people to be good stewards of the planet and nature.

All the dirt kicking naysayers need to get their heads out their deep, dark right wing spin machine and notice they have joined the ranks of traitor to those who "truly" appreciate God's great gift of the great outdoors.

from cmrosko wrote 4 years 1 week ago

Even the bible advises people to be good stewards of the planet and nature.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 1 week ago

I think you have your head in the "wrong place"

If you can't see why we fear Obama (the most liberal president in recent history with a history of gun control and being a pawn piece for the far left wingers) taking control of something the states are supposed to be in charge of, you are delusional. We all love the environment and we all want to protect it. However, most of us realize that if the left gets the final say we will no longer be able to use the outdoors like we used to. Heck I don't even want a conservative taking charge in this. Let the states deal with it.

God is the last thing on Obama's mind. Plus the majority of us on this site are Christian so don't come thumping your bible trying to tell us we are wrong.

So instead of just bashing us who are opposed to this, why don't you take a minute to actually READ and what we are saying.

from cmrosko wrote 4 years 1 week ago

The conservation conference does not specify "Federal government control" or "local control". The intention is to make more people aware of and appreciate the importance of "the great outdoors". This includes all groups.

I CAN "read" what you all are saying. I CAN see why you're all so "afraid" of Obama and progressives. It's because you all choose to repeatedly feed on extremist inflammatory illusions conjured up by corporate right wing propagandists to suppress YOUR ability to "comprehend" issues and think for yourselves. In the bible GOD DOES say that men should be good stewards of the earth. It doesn't matter if Obama or someone else is trying to bring people together to be better stewards of the earth, it's still a good thing, and to oppose it is traitorous to good conservationists and God's will as stated in the bible. It's incredible that you all can't see it.

The right wing propagandist machine loves your overt emotional rage because it stifles your sense of independent thought and ability to reason. Just take note of how often right wing propagandists repeat the notion that you only get the "real truth" from them and that you have to continue to feed on their rhetoric. This nearly always follows inflammatory distortions of reality and truth meant to inflame emotions, promote conflict, herd behavior and suppress independent cognitive reasoning.

Pay attention and get your head out of that right wing propaganda black hole. The right wing has been playing outdoors men and women against their better interests for decades, witness GW Bush & Co., inarguably the worst president for wildlife and environmental conservation in more than 50 years.

Federal and natural resource protections have been a blessing on this nation. "Local control" also often means "easier to buy off", just what the corporate consumptive wolves want. Teddy Roosevelt is rolling over in his grave by what the right wing corporate propagandists have done to this country, the republican party and with too many "so called" outdoorsmen.

There is absolutely no evidence that Obama intends to take guns away from sportsmen.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 1 week ago

The federal government is NOT supposed to take care of the environment the states are.

Obama has voted many times to take GUNS away from law abiding citizens. So I am not an outdoorsmen because I am conservative? Oh sorry, I didn't realize that my entire college career has been studying how to improve the environment.

Your bible thumping does not affect me. I am a Christian. In fact I am going to a bible study in a few hours.

You are just blind if you don't see how the left works. They get funded by the anti's so they will slowly pass anti hunting laws.

By the way, I don't listen to half the stuff your so called right wing propaganda spits out. I have my own brain, thanks.

Seriously you have your head up someplace much worse than I, if you think my fears are unjustified.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 1 week ago

But hey as Obama says you can "cling to your religion and guns" that doesn't sound like an anti does it.....?

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 1 week ago

cmrosko- let me apologize. I got too heated there. We both have the rights to our opinion. In the end we both want the same thing, we just differ on how we want it to get done.

from Catalysts wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Not all "anti's" are 100% anti. Please hear me out.
Hard to argue that the state wildlife management system has evolved to be very lopsided, and now hunting is getting a bad rap by some real idiots in our woods. Further, Conservation gets all the gun tax thanks to FDR. Not all gun owners hunt, in fact less than 40% do now. So people ARE paying taxes in states like CO that claim sportsmen fund their agency. Now, in order to get that gun tax all our agencies are giving out hunting licenses like candy - how many they sell determines how many millions of gun tax they get each year ($310m annually)
We claim we have a heritage, of ethics, of traditions. What we now have is a growing majority in the woods that have zero respect for wildlife. It's not just a "few bad apples" any more. Look up "snuff" hunting videos on youtube. Not good!
Agencies are indeed run by hunters, trappers, ranchers. It is lopsided and no one is listening anymore to either side. States sanction "sports" that allow animals to be used as live bait to train dogs. I don't care for that at all, or trapping for that matter. It is barbaric at this point in time. What is the public going to think if we don't get some balance and ethics back into what we do? Do we support all the crap at the expense of losing credibility for honest hunting? Society IS evolving and compassion is real. In true tradition a hunter tracks prey, has respect for prey, and comes home empty handed sometimes. Now? we bait animals and can shoot them from a tree we built a seat on. We have idiots that don't know the meaning of "one shot quick kill", and appear to enjoy the suffering. Who wants to meet that dude in the woods? Not me.
Wildlife rehabilitators help distressed wildlife out of their own pockets. I have a good friend that does this and is very involved. They provide a real big service to agencies, the public and sportsmen - it is great PR for all concerned. So they do also contribute financially, even if via saved revenue on the bottom line. Yet it is a dying industry because state agencies are too busy managing hunting, so they feel. They are making it real hard for them. But agencies aren't too busy to pull search warrants to bodily search citizens for a pet finch or raccoon, fine them and kill the animals these people love. Now citizens are feeling jilted, ignored, and have serious concerns about the priorities and quality of management our wildlife has for all citizens that enjoy it in various ways, especially the caring and welfare side. I agree - they have a right to wildlife as well, and telling them they only get to watch it or else get slapped is not fair.
Human predatation has created a 300% trait change in hunted/fished species. With ALL these hunters being pushed out in the woods, how could this not happen? Exactly what "heritage" of wildlife are we leaving behind us at this rate?
There needs to be a middle ground, some compromise on both sides. When states are manipulating seasons for higher populations, then culling all the deer or bears in suburban neighborhoods, "anti's" is what they are growing faster than hunters, or respect for hunting traditions.
For the most part true Sportsmen care about wildlife; Agencies care most about money and time management. They listen to hunters. There might be more hunters can do to preserve hunting than ignoring the growing concerns.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Get out of the states business and stay out!

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

in American history.
Three emails sent just might help.

from deerstalker wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from chongo70 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from YooperJack wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Thank you for asking what I'd like to see addressed.

I need access. Access to land to hunt and shoot on.

I need access. Access to land to hunt and shoot on.

from labrador12 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I thought the same jcarlin!

from jbird wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from HuntingKS wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Steward wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WeatherbySven87 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Cgull wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Hmmm, This could be the next big F@#$@#^ing!

from nwild wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Also, I agree with rock rat. I want more public land that I can shoot/hunt on.

I also want the hunters view to be taken as seriously as the anti-hunters view.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 1 week ago

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 1 week ago

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 1 week ago

from Catalysts wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Not all "anti's" are 100% anti. Please hear me out.

from blackdawgz wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

To them it is a joke.

The words they use are nauseating: Reconstruction, Reform, etc.

Rember Rollerball?

from RANGERMANZ20 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from thebiggesttreei... wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Ozark Hunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I don't care who you are or what you believe in, this is funny.

Gun Control

a child in America dies from gun violence.'

''Well, dumbass, stop clapping!'

-Larry The Cable Guy

from 007 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from cmrosko wrote 4 years 1 week ago

from cmrosko wrote 4 years 1 week ago

Even the bible advises people to be good stewards of the planet and nature.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 1 week ago

I think you have your head in the "wrong place"

from cmrosko wrote 4 years 1 week ago