Record-Size Rock Python Found In South Florida

Field Notes

March 31, 2010

Record-Size Rock Python Found In South Florida

By Dave Hurteau

From the Sun-Sentinel:
It’s official.

The largest male African Rock Python found in the state of Florida was nabbed in the Everglades this past January, according to Patricia C. Behnke, a spokesperson for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

It was found in Bird Drive Basin in West Miami-Dade County.

The snake is 14-feet long, 140 pounds….

The Rock Python, the largest snake in Africa, is a powerful constrictor that consumes goats, wart hogs and crocodiles. It was first found last September east of the Everglades, raising the possibility that it is breeding in the wild in a state already overrun with nonnative wildlife.

Click here to see photos.

from Bella wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Only 14 feet and it is a Florida Record?
How does python taste barbequed? I've eaten rattler and it wasn't bad, 14 feet of smoked python ought to feed quite a party!
Like I said, Florida needed giant snakes and Mother Nature acting through her witless human agents saw fit to return giant snakes to the biome. What? You don't like giant Snakes? It really is a jungle out there you know...Now how about those Skunk Apes?

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

What a cook out!!

from Cgull wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Open constrictor season in Florida with an added Bounty for each one killed.

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

In Texas we have rattlesnake roundups. Quite a party.
How about a python round up in Florida?
Afterthought: Wonder if those rock pythons can be transplanted in New York's central park and Washington D.C.?

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I probably should stay quite on this one since I ruffled feathers on the "Wolf" article, but I just can't help myself. It's a disease I know. It may seem contradictory to what I said last, on the outside I can see that, but the snakes are not originally indigenous to Florida, they don't belong there. The nuances of this discussion are too detailed for simple little blogs, but I will still hold my position. So there you go, have at it, tell me how wrong I am.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Obama needs to tighten regulations on the importation of non-native species and also prohibit them from running for elected office.

from nwild wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Zebra mussles and Asian carp...nuff said. Get rid of those suckers before it's too late.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

If they are not supposed to be there and if they dont want them, then why have a seaason? does'nt make sense.

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

WA Mtnhuter, that is hilarious, plus one for you.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

The state created the season to get hunters involved in killing the pythons. The snakes are not native as said above, and do quite a lot of damage to local wildlife and raid near by farms. Many locals raise who chickens are having their hen houses raided constantly. Pets are not immune to these reptiles, many dogs and cats have been eaten.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Why have a season? Why not just open season? Why not add other invasive species?

from seadog wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

FYI, the rock python is a different snake from the burmese python. They look similar-the burmese grows longer & the rock is more aggressive. Burmese pythons are well established and breeding in the everglades. It looks like the rock pythons may also be breeding but I haven't heard anything conclusive on that. This could be a released pet, but it's not the only rock python that's been found out there. If they haven't started a breeding population yet, it'll only take a few get togethers at the rock python nightclub before there's a whole mess of little rock pythons running--I mean crawling around.

As for eating them, the state has warned of mercury contamination--just like the gators in this part of the state. I'd like a taste, but I might have to pass on the python feast.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Now that would make a nice pair of boots!

from jwallen wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I have never been to Florida, but this sounds like fun. A snake hunting vacation!

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

That pretty cool to find a snake that big in florida

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

WAM yur on a roll today! many +1's to ya "Garry Owen" from a broken down ol' Cavalryman!

from cas0905 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

it will take that thing eating a human before anything serious happens

from Mike Plotner wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

jeeze i am scarded of snakes how it is but if i was totan a colt m1911 and a .30-06 AND a 12 ga mossberg 500 without the plug it whould be that bad i gusse

from VAHunter540 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I agree with nwild, asian carp and zebra mussels have already threatened numerous native species, it may not happen as quick with the snakes but why take the chance. Open a year round season with a small bounty, maybe pay by the foot.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Cgull wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Open constrictor season in Florida with an added Bounty for each one killed.

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from nwild wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

In Texas we have rattlesnake roundups. Quite a party.
How about a python round up in Florida?

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from rabbitpolice88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

WA Mtnhuter, that is hilarious, plus one for you.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Now that would make a nice pair of boots!

from jwallen wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from cas0905 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

it will take that thing eating a human before anything serious happens

from Mike Plotner wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

What a cook out!!

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

That pretty cool to find a snake that big in florida

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Bella wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Only 14 feet and it is a Florida Record?

-3 Good Comment? | | Report