Utah Officials Charge Family With Poaching 90 Deer

Field Notes

April 30, 2010

Utah Officials Charge Family With Poaching 90 Deer

By Chad Love

From the story in the Salt Lake Tribune:
In what Utah's top wildlife officer calls the worst case of poaching he has ever seen, five West Valley City family members have been charged with allegedly poaching more than 90 animals. Four men and a woman are accused by Utah Division of Wildlife Resources investigators of illegal wildlife kills going back to 1998. Mike Fowlks, chief of law enforcement for DWR, said Thursday that the family may be linked to the poaching of 90 deer, four antelope and one elk. "In my 18 years of wildlife law enforcement, this is the largest deer poaching case I have ever been associated with," Fowlks said Thursday.

Gerald D. Jensen Sr., 47; Angella D. Jensen, 43; Robert L. Jensen, 45; Gerald D. Jensen Jr., 22; and 20-year-old Robert Tyler Jensen are charged in 3rd District Court with 19 felonies and one misdemeanor in the case so far, Fowlks said. All of the defendants except Angella Jensen were in custody; she has been in contact with the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office and is expected to turn herself in soon, Fowlks said. DWR officers served search warrants on three Jensen family residents in January and allegedly found numerous mounted trophy buck mule deer and antlers. "These animals were killed out of season or without the proper permits," Fowlks said. "As near as we can tell, this [poaching] has been going on for 10-12 years."

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I'd say they were managing the deer in their area for trophies.

from MPN wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Over 90 animals! Don't people have any respect for these animals. If you're gonna take a deer do it during the season. Poachers are the ones who give us a bad rep.

from pbshooter1217 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Its these kind of people that others associate with hunters. They're just hurting the sport for everyone else.

from bdarak wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Throw the book at them.....Hard.

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

My guess is they still won't get more than a slap on the wrist. Poaching laws are woefully inept. Obviously I hope for better, but forgive me for expecting the worst...

from thewho2005 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

WHAT HAPPENED TO INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY??? THIS IS STILL AMERICA!!!! CONTRARY TO WHAT THE GOVERNMENT THINKS OR WANTS!!

LETS REMEMBER THAT LAW ENFORCEMENT CAN ALSO BE CRIMINALS!!!!!!!!!!

from mountaindew732 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I don't believe they would charge them without reasonable proof that they are guilty. I am sure the wildlife officials don't like wasting their time unless they believe they can win the case, just like any other lawyer or attorney. I also believe in a fair trial, which I believe these individuals will have, and if proven guilty I hope they get the max, as I feel poaching is sickening to just hear about

from butterfly3206 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I dated Jerry Jr....and OMG I had no idea and now im kind of glad its over I would never live with someone like that...this is crossing the line

from Don Mitchell wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Let me see if I get this right,
(allegedly)found numerous mounted trophy buck mule deer and antlers, ok.
These animals <<>> killed out of season or without the proper permits,My question is,How in H*** do they know this??????
Thats approximately 1 1/2 deer per person,or so.
I think more info. is needed.

from butterfly3206 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I got told it wasnt true either way I think if it is its wrong that they just went out and did that.

from surfrat924 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Im not defending them but, 3 of them are between 43 -47 years old . If they each took 3 deer a year legally that adds up to 90 deer . again i am not defending them i just think we need more facts before judging and convicting.

from scott powers wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

evan if each of the people took 2 deer a year if they did this in season they could have took 2 tags a year they could have taken 90 deer in the 12 year period. so these people need to get there fats strate.

from MPN wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from pbshooter1217 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from bdarak wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Throw the book at them.....Hard.

from mountaindew732 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from Don Mitchell wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Let me see if I get this right,
(allegedly)found numerous mounted trophy buck mule deer and antlers, ok.
Thats approximately 1 1/2 deer per person,or so.
I think more info. is needed.

from scott powers wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I'd say they were managing the deer in their area for trophies.

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from thewho2005 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

LETS REMEMBER THAT LAW ENFORCEMENT CAN ALSO BE CRIMINALS!!!!!!!!!!

from butterfly3206 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago