Barbecue Season Can Only Mean One Thing: Summer Has Arrived.

The Wild Chef

May 25, 2010

Barbecue Season Can Only Mean One Thing: Summer Has Arrived.

By Colin Kearns

OK, I know what you might be thinking: Summer doesn’t start for another month. If you’re the type who lives strictly by such things as, um, calendars then, yes, that’s correct. But for me, summer—at least the spirit of summer—began this past Sunday when some friends and I gathered for the first afternoon barbecue of the year.

The forecast called for rain, but we refused to let the "chance" of thunderstorms rumble our plans. We all met at my friends’ rooftop patio and settled in around the huge table they’d set up. We had a baseball game on the radio. We drank cold beer. We grilled shrimp, franks, Italian sausage, and wild turkey. We devoured a peach cobbler for dessert. We told stories, laughed, and relaxed. We didn’t have a care in the world.

The best part of the day for me was when we served the wild turkey. This was the first of the turkey meat I’d eaten since my hunt earlier in the spring, but it was the first wild turkey my friends had ever eaten. I didn’t attempt anything too fancy with the meat: I opted for the recipe David DiBenedetto recommended awhile back in Man’s Best Friend—a very simple dish that calls for nothing more than olive oil, salt and pepper, and garlic. My buddy Tanveer, who manned the grill, suggested we serve them on hamburger buns, and after I apologized for any stray shot pellets that I might’ve missed, we all dug in. One by one, my friends raved. The turkey was delicious. If there is one thing that’s more rewarding that enjoying a meal from an animal that you hunted, it’s sharing that harvest with your friends.

For the rest of the afternoon we continued to eat, laugh, and lean back in our chairs. And then eat some more. We promised not to let much time pass before the next barbecue.

The rain never did fall. But then, how could it on such a perfect summer day?

Photo courtesy of Tanveer Badal Photography

from squirrelgirl wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I am so stoked bbq season is upon us. we've bbq'ed every weekend (sat and sun) for the past month. god bless the charcoal gods!!

from uplander12 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

There's no such thing as a barbecue off season.

from gautrey wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I grill and barbq on a regular basis. Mostly chicken, but I will cook anything I can get my hands on. From jalepinos to strawberry shortcake. Yep the strawberry shortcake is good. its all in how you prepare it.

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I love BBQ chicken!

from country road wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

For me, barbeque season coincides with fall hunting season, runs through the spring and ends about now. It's too dang hot to stand outside over a fire down here in the deep south. It's already getting hotter than a June bride on a feather mattress. The other afternoon, I went out for my daily health walk and midway through, had to check the street signs to make sure I hadn't made a wrong turn and wound up in hell.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I'm with uplander12...just need a house roof overhang or garden gazebo for the six, oh yeah 6 burner bbq unit.
Hunt, fish, cook just like on TV's Sportsmens Channel.

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

summer begins the very first time I start going walleye fishing which is still considered winter by most. but hey whatever gets the summer tan going must mean it's summer.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

You can BBQ all year in the South, but the humidity is so uncomfortable in the Summer that you wait until near dusk.

from uplander12 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

There's no such thing as a barbecue off season.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Hunt, fish, cook just like on TV's Sportsmens Channel.

from squirrelgirl wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago