Georgia Looks to Increase Gator Hunting Opportunities

Field Notes

May 26, 2010

Georgia Looks to Increase Gator Hunting Opportunities

By Chad Love

From the story on Macon.com:

More alligators could be hunted in Georgia under a proposed change to state rules. Members of the state's Wildlife Resources Committee gave preliminary approval Tuesday to allowing hunters to take an additional 150 alligators during the season. The annual limit would increase to 850 alligators. The Board of Natural Resources could finalize the expanded hunt Wednesday. Georgia started allowing alligator hunting in 2003. John Bowers, the assistant chief of game management, says 5,700 hunters tried to get a permit last year. The waiting list is about two to three years long. The alligator season runs from September to October. Hunters are allowed one alligator per person. They generally use hooks and line to bring the alligators alongside a boat, then kill them with a gunshot.

from jhunt2 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I want to go on an alligator hunt so bad! I don't care where but ever since I ate some fried gator I want to put one or 5 in my freezer.

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I would like to hunt gators just because they're exotic. It would be a mount like no other, not just another "Big Deer" on the wall

from scott powers wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

thats sounds like fun i want to try it cool!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

If you want to go on a gator hunt all you have to do is apply for a permit through the quota system. There are a number of guides around who will be glad to offer their services.

If you get drawn don't let the guide tell you the tail meat is the only good stuff, he's planning on keeping the back straps for himself!

The darn things are getting about as bad here as they are in Florida!

Quota hunts open for applictions June 1.

from seadog wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Beekeeper is right about the meat. The back, neck, & jaw meat is just as good as the tail. And the best part of the tail is what I call the "tenderloin" at the base of the tail. The guides won't always tell you that because they want it. The leg meat is OK too--I grind it up to make chile or a cajun gumbo.

You don't really need a professional guide, but if it's your first time, you should go with someone that knows what they're doing. You can get advice from guys like me over the internet, but there's really no substitute for experience.

from Bella wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Mmmm, Gator Tots, I'd hunt alligators (with a guide, of course, you don't go get lost in My Swamp and I won't get lost in yours). I'm not much interested in "mounts" but I like gator meat and I do leather crafting, so my kill would not be wasted. If I had the cash it would be a fine adventure, could I use my Xbow?

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Bella,

Many of the folks who hunt gators down here use a modified fish arrow with a heavier made head and heavier barb set up. Your Xbow would be fine. You use the smaller bow line as a "tracker line" to keep up with the gator then you either Harpoon it or snag it with a very large treble hook.

Some of the folks prefer to harpoon the gator directly.

Check out the Gator Hunt story on the Georgia Outdoor News Web link below:

from jhunt2 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from scott powers wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

thats sounds like fun i want to try it cool!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

The darn things are getting about as bad here as they are in Florida!

Quota hunts open for applictions June 1.

from seadog wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Bella,

Some of the folks prefer to harpoon the gator directly.

Check out the Gator Hunt story on the Georgia Outdoor News Web link below: